Tube Buffer Preamplifier

Audiodoc

Constructed a tube buffer preamplifier for infusing tube sweetness into my solid state amps especially my previous gainclone and my modded Norge.

c056fcac_1.jpeg

d46c7a42_3.jpeg

Haven't tested it yet. The toughest part of the build was the drilling of a perfect 25 mm diameter hole into the 2.5 mm top panel. Will tell you how it sounds in the next couple of days.

supah!

do share more details as to what was the set goal, and hence what kind of design and implementation and then of course a listening impression!

Is that a FiiO E7+E9 in the corner? And do you use this as a tube buffer pre as a headphone amp too?

Yes it is the FiiO E7 E9 combo my only DAC at present.

Am planning for a good DAC. Either an Audio GD or the new Asus external DAC or a DIY DAC. Still deciding which one to buy.

Built the tube pre only tonight. Will test tomorrow.

The headphone plug is used with my EHHA amp as behaves as a switch if I feed the signal from my headphone amp (which has a lockable neutrik plug on the back) I can use the front headphone out. Am using the Senn HD650's. Later on can fit a small headphone amplifier in the same enclosure.

When I pull out the headphone jack the singnal will be fed to the tube pre followed by my DIY gainclone Amplifiers or the Norge 1000

Yes that is a 12-0-12 80VA toroid basically a overkill for the pre but it was lying in my inventory for the last 10 years, I who knows I may end some thing within the same enclosure. Don't like to waste precious enclosure real estate.

You seem to be spending a lot of money importing chassis/cabinets. Though they look very professional, they must be forming a big part of the total cost. Do you order these cabinets in bulk or on need basis?

I would love to make my own but then I would need a CNC. Mostly the enclosure costs about 40-50% of the built cost but locally available enclosures are twice that cost so it is better to order online. Haven't tried the ones by Dinrack but they are more of an industrial design type instead of desktop ones.

I order in pairs to keep the shipping costs slightly lower.

wow! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Very sophesticated build...professional! Do share the details please incl source, cost, design, test results, listening impression etc...

Congrats!

Cheap circuit kit from ebay. Capacitors are average south Korean Samwha, tube Russian 63N. Will post the schematic in the evening.

Price: Enclosure $24 + customs+ shipping+ Rhodium plated tube protector (Rs 600).

Circuit: Rs.1500
Toroid: Free (from a friend)

I would love to see a group buy for good enclosures and heatsinks between Rs 1000-Rs 5000 on this forum so that everyone can afford and build good DIY stuff. Most of the time it is the toughest item to find / construct. The ones by DINrack look industrial while the ones by element 14 are very costly. We should also have access to to something like the front panel express where in you can choose the design of your front and rear panels to get things customized according to your choices.

I would love to see a group buy for good enclosures and heatsinks between Rs 1000-Rs 5000 on this forum so that everyone can afford and build good DIY stuff. Most of the time it is the toughest item to find / construct. The ones by DINrack look industrial while the ones by element 14 are very costly. We should also have access to to something like the front panel express where in you can choose the design of your front and rear panels to get things customized according to your choices.
Hi,
I am also looking to buy good enclosures for my DIY phonostage and B1.It would be great if we can locate someone locally.

Regards,
Sachin

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back