Tube Buffer Preamplifier

Yes the line outs of most CD players is around 2v rms that should be good for the B1. Basically most amplifiers will run from 2v rms directly from the CD player if there is no problem with impedance matching which is relatively rare in recent designs, however a good preamplifier definitely improves the sound stage and depth and are the best place to introduce a decent volume control in the audio chain.

Last edited:
Hi Audiodoc and Captrajesh,

I would need something more than a buffer and a switch between various sources. A gain of unity would not serve my purpose as I need to positively boost signals from MM/MC cartridges.

Can you suggest a good DIY pre?

Regards.

Hi Audiodoc and Captrajesh,

I would need something more than a buffer and a switch between various sources. A gain of unity would not serve my purpose as I need to positively boost signals from MM/MC cartridges.

Can you suggest a good DIY pre?

Regards.

May be OT for OP and hope he wouldn't mind.

Transcend Grounded Grid pre-amp: Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp

Aksa GK1 Pre-amp: ::: Aspen Amplifiers :::

Bride of Son of Zen Pre-amp:
An article by Nelson Pass: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/balzenpre.pdf
Project showcase: http://www.parttimeprojects.com/audio/diy/BOSOZwebpage.php
Pre-amp PCB: PASS LABS CLONE - ALEPH 3 Amplifier PCB
Power supply PCB: XCCS - BOSOZ POWER SUPPLY - DIY X-BLS-CCS PREAMPLIFIER PCB
Check with Sharon for the parts and build instructions: [email protected]

Hi Audiodoc, Captrajesh and Sachu,

From the various suggestions given, which would be the best in terms of sound quality, ease of sourcing and construction and value for money vis a vis the quality of what is available in the used market, mostly older NADs in the Rs. 5k to Rs. 10k range? I would prefer a valve pre to a solid state one, other things being equal.

Looking for detailed responses.

All are good designs and sound very good however you have to choose depending on budget and relative complexity will only be able to comment when I build the pass. presently using the OPA627 and OPA2134 opamps both sound pretty good.

All are good designs and sound very good however you have to choose depending on budget and relative complexity will only be able to comment when I build the pass.

Absolutely correct. I fully agree.

@Miroflex, if you do some searching, you will find that all of them have rave reviews.

BOSOZ is said to be the best pre-amp design given by Nelson Pass to DIY community.

Original GG has been made by GeorgeO and a Chinese clone by Gobble. You may check with them.

Last edited:
I already have a pass design preamplifier board based on jfet 2sk170. That is the red one in the center also in the picture are 3 LM3886 mono blocks for my 5 channel amp and a input selector circuit as well as a SMD NE5532 / Dual OPA627 preamplifier.

ab1e6752_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings All:
I am very new to tube diy please excuse my lack of experience. I purchase one of these
kits, mounted in AT power supply case. Does not look good but works fine with my lm3886. I have made a pcb of the tube side of the circuit but nor the power supply. It is not verified. If anyone would like to have files please e-mail.
Thanks

Here is pix of my amp and buffer, also a pdf of the tube part of buffer circuit.
I have not made the power supply at this time, soon
Regard
Dansplace

Attachments

• PRELIM-6NP3.pdf
    84 KB · Views: 19
  • 6N39-LM3886-01.jpg
    6N39-LM3886-01.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 115
Looks similar to my buffer circuit the only difference is that my buffer has an on board power supply which uses 12V ac input and increases the voltage to 60V. You will need to make a 30-0-30 V power supply to power the buffer circuit.

By the way the amplifier looks good can you post a few more pictures.

f8d9c918_TubeBuffer.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings:
Thank you! My first kit worked well, but, my second kit intended for my granddaughter failed??? The signal waves in and out like a siren, I use the same kite, transformer and I don't see any physical change between the two,
one works, the other does not. The only thing I can think of is the tube or voltage regular. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Best Regards, be well
Dansplace

Thank you, I will do that promptly, my grand daughter thinks I can build her an Ipod dock.
Got to figure how to do that?
Again, Thank you . be well

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back