Tube Preamp

I was not able to find the products you mentioned, could you link to them? Thanks.
Hi arj, if tube DACs are not the answer what would you suggest? I have written what I am looking for. Mostly slower sound. My pro chain makes the sound very "accurate" but I am seeking warmth and a slower sound, what would you recommend instead of the tube dac? My understanding is I may need some form of phase/time distortion here. I have DSP which I tune and am curious how I can improve the slowness.

I will look into your suggestions.

https://amr-audio.co.uk/products/dp-777-se/ is the one I was talking about . I am not aware of indian distributors for this !
The totaldac site http://www.totaldac.com/D1-tube-eng.htm

Since you do seem very well versed with DSP and audio, you may want to speak to acoustic portrait. they are based in bangalore and siva is also into recording high end audio and also well versed with pro audio equipment. His DAC is https://acousticportrait.com/product/thiyaga-v2-se-dac/

Their contacts are in their site above.

Sending it abroad is not feasible on account of shipping costs.
They will send parts if you require. You need to know a reliable engineer . I know one in Mumbai if there is any problem.

Hmm, many thanks but I don't think I could do that as that seems problematic. I'd rather buy a brand I can service here, especially given that electronics do have a tendency to develop faults as opposed to loudspeakers.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Currently leaning Audio Mirror after reading up. Still open to more suggestions.

The Lampizator descriptions make them seem a bit "forward", not looking for detail and attack.

The Audio Mirror is a R2R and Tube DAC. Their descriptions also lend me to believe it might be more along my lines.

Here are some of the DACs suggested/that I've read a little on -

Lampizator
Primaluna
Audio Mirror
Audio Aero
Total Dac
AMR Audio
Denafrips
Audio Note
MHDTLAB

It would seem even among Tube DACs there's a lot of flavoring and buying blind may be hit or miss. This leads me to believe that auditioning in my own system would be ideal but I don't know who might have such a DAC and be willing to lend it to me to audition in my system.

I'm from Kolkata, any suggestions as to who I can contact for a Tube DAC home audition?

Currently leaning Audio Mirror after reading up. Still open to more suggestions.

The Lampizator descriptions make them seem a bit "forward", not looking for detail and attack.

The Audio Mirror is a R2R and Tube DAC. Their descriptions also lend me to believe it might be more along my lines.

Here are some of the DACs suggested/that I've read a little on -

Lampizator
Primaluna
Audio Mirror
Audio Aero
Total Dac
AMR Audio
Denafrips
Audio Note
MHDTLAB

It would seem even among Tube DACs there's a lot of flavoring and buying blind may be hit or miss. This leads me to believe that auditioning in my own system would be ideal but I don't know who might have such a DAC and be willing to lend it to me to audition in my system.

I'm from Kolkata, any suggestions as to who I can contact for a Tube DAC home audition?
Pm’d you the details of a person who is into tubes. He is based out of Mumbai. You can give a try !

Still looking. Though I have made some purchases so would prefer to keep this at max 5.5L.

Should I perhaps consider another tube pre instead of a tube DAC? I'd be interested in tube amps except there doesn't seem to be much high power stuff and those that are can be very expensive.

Any subjective inputs on the tube DAC vs tube pre debate? What might help me achieve my goal?

Essentially one of my goals is to lower the damping, I understand that tube amps have low damping but pro amps have high damping, I was hoping to lower this via a DAC or a pre, any inputs?

Should I perhaps consider another tube pre instead of a tube DAC? I'd be interested in tube amps except there doesn't seem to be much high power stuff and those that are can be very expensive.
Any subjective inputs on the tube DAC vs tube pre debate? What might help me achieve my goal?
This is what I would suggest. Tube dacs dont mean much but a tube pre will definitely do well.
You will need to match it with your amp though..ie impedence match it where the preamp output impedance is 1/10 or lower than the amp input impedance

Hi @decadent spectre :)

Any reason why you are particularly looking for a tube preamp with high output voltage. High output voltage would mean pushing the tubes at high and dangerous DC voltages, which will reduce their life and increase distortion dramatically. Of course since you like a gooey and syrupy sound, you might end up liking the distortion. But on the negative side, you might end up with audible hiss especially from the tweeters and upper mid range .

And as @thedude , correctly mentioned, having xlr inputs and outputs doesn't make a preamp a balanced design. So you might also settle for RCA connections . IMO balanced tube preamps are expensive, and balanced DHT preamps even more so.
Newlash 09,

You are very much technically wrong with your advice on tube electronics, and the things you say about dangerous output voltages and pushing the tubes.

Most tube amps have a B+ supply of about 300 VDC or more, and the plates of the tubes operate at 150 VDC or so. Putting out high driving voltages, in the 2 to 5 VDC range, should not be too difficult, nor " full of distortion ".

Also, what manufacturers are making balanced DHT ( Directly Heated Triode ) preamps ? Can you please tell us who ?? What percentage of the total tube preamp market does it represent ?? Over 0.03 % ???

Please try to be more careful, and technically correct.

Jeff

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back