Turntable option - suggestions required

chayan

Hi Friend,
Recently been bitten by the turntable bug. Went to a few shops last week to see my options. Need a good standard used turntable for the time being atleast for a year or so after which I plan to upgrade depending on Vit M.

I did find a few good specimens but probably priced a little high.
a) Toshiba SR3639 - 2 speed plasticky stuff - Rs.4.8K
b) Lenco L3807 - Good solid build - direct drive quartz - clone of ATLP120 (without USB) - Rs.22K
c) Technics J2 - Linear tracking - Rs.6.5K
d) Murphy turntable - basic 4 speed - Rs.1.8K

Kindly let me know which would you suggest. My budget is ~Rs.10K but can go over if its a really good machine.

When I was growing up.. my family had a Garrard Lab Series Type A, Ahuja Amplifier and hand made speaker setup (Bolton drivers). The Ahuja is gone, the speakers are technically OK, need new housing and the Garrard needs some repair. Still need to trace the box containing all the records. Second priority this year is to get the Garrard and speakers up and running this year.

My comments:

a) Toshiba SR3639 - 2 speed plasticky stuff - Rs.4.8K - decent for a start, belt drive with a p-mount cart but will play stuff quite well if in good condition, resale value non-existant
b) Lenco L3807 - Good solid build - direct drive quartz - clone of ATLP120 (without USB) - Rs.22K - not worth the price, stay away, junk compared to the Lencos of old
c) Technics J2 - Linear tracking - Rs.6.5K - good if working well, a paper weight once its gives trouble
d) Murphy turntable - basic 4 speed - Rs.1.8K - very basic, can be positioned as a use-and-throw-away deck, in working condition, it can make a start for you but honestly, other than to listen to the content on the record, you can't expect anything else

Your old Garrard Type-A - one of the legendary Garrard Changers, worth a fix but changer mechanicals are extremely complicated hence you'd need an experienced technician. FM Kuruvila Jacob is the man who should be no#1 on your dialing list for the purpose.

Hi Friend,
Recently been bitten by the turntable bug. Went to a few shops last week to see my options. Need a good standard used turntable for the time being atleast for a year or so after which I plan to upgrade depending on Vit M.

I did find a few good specimens but probably priced a little high.
a) Toshiba SR3639 - 2 speed plasticky stuff - Rs.4.8K
b) Lenco L3807 - Good solid build - direct drive quartz - clone of ATLP120 (without USB) - Rs.22K
c) Technics J2 - Linear tracking - Rs.6.5K
d) Murphy turntable - basic 4 speed - Rs.1.8K

Kindly let me know which would you suggest. My budget is ~Rs.10K but can go over if its a really good machine.

When I was growing up.. my family had a Garrard Lab Series Type A, Ahuja Amplifier and hand made speaker setup (Bolton drivers). The Ahuja is gone, the speakers are technically OK, need new housing and the Garrard needs some repair. Still need to trace the box containing all the records. Second priority this year is to get the Garrard and speakers up and running this year.

I would be inclined to say NOTA . Scout around, sooner or later a better option will most likely become available through the forum itself (shafic has a few on sale right now, though from mumbai. even with shipping costs those are better tables)

Which shops?

Few road side stalls in Chadni and 'Metro Music World' in Metro Gali. Are there any others I can drop in?
I remember a few inside Sealdah Fish Market, dont know if they still exist (have not been there in ages).

@reubensm: Thanks for your feedback. I can wait.

What do you think of Akai D-40?

Shafic seems to have good TTs in the for sale section. Hifiads.com also has his listing along with some others. You can also contact member hemantwaghe who also has some TTs for sale.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back