turntable through pre-amp causing problem

Taylor Muir

I am a bit new to setting up and although I am assured Project Basic 2 Experience turntable is compatable with the Arkam fmj 18 amplifier and pre-amp Cambridge Audio Azur 651P-B they are refusing to work together and alternately working through 1 speaker. I would like to know if the problem is the moving coil cartridge or if anyone has any ideas, as this is driving me crazy.

The Arcam FMJ 18 spec says it has one MM phono input. Which means that you should plug in the output Left and Right cables of the ProJect into the RCA female socket marked "Phono" on the Arcam, and also connect the ground wire from the ProJect to the Ground binding post in the Arcam. This assumes that you are using an MM cartridge. If you have MC cartridge, you will need the Azur in the chain.

If you choose to use the Azur, then plug in the Left and Right cables of the ProJect into the Azur's input (don't forget ground wire), set the Azur for MM (or MC, as the case may be, depending on which type of cartridge you're using), then plug in the output of the Azur into one of the "Line" inputs of the Arcam (you can use the Aux, CD, Tuner inputs).

Regarding one channel not playing, do check:

1) all four wires are connected to the cartridge in the headshell (at the tip of your tonearm)

2) interconnecting cables from your turntable to the amplifier (or to the phono preamplifier, and then to the Arcam) are alright. If you have any spare cables lying around, try swapping them.

3) assuming you also have a CD source, does it play left and right properly? If yes, then your amp, speaker cables and speakers are working normally. You need to concentrate on 1) and 2) above.

Hi jls001,
Thank you so much for taking the time to help. this problem has been driving me bananas and your information has been very helpfu I can now hear the stereo the way it was meant to be heard!

Cheers, Taylor

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back