Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

Hi,

You'll be able to find Indian classical LPs at Chor Bazar - ask for Salim Recordwala on Saifee Jubilee Street. There are a couple more dealers on Mutton street (parallel to S.J).

There's also Razakbhai near the VT end of DN Road, just before the Excelsior cinema lane. His mobile is 9820933365.

rgds

>>>

G401fan,

Thank you - will check.
Are these second hand?

Regards

Bump...wanted to see this thread alive again...simply because I think it is helpful if people have experiences or impressions that they might share with other members.

On my side, I've brought a few changes in my vinyl setup.

Got a few new phono stages AND repurchased an old favorite that I let go by mistake (a friend really wanted it!).

Bought:
- EAR 324 (Chrome Faceplate)
- Eddie Current Transcription Phono
- Ray Samuels Nighthawk (Re-purchased as I was missing it!)
- Changed interconnect from Turntable to Phonostage. A meter length of Kubala Sosna Elation
- Got a Jan Allaerts MC1B and a Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA (Both are low output Moving Coil cartridges)
- Townhend Maximum Super Tweeters (these warmed up the system beautifully and opened up the soundstage further. Filled in more details and air. No etch, no brightness).
- Stein Music Harmonizers (H2A and H2B, Magic Stones, Blue Diamonds and Black Diamonds). Amazing room tuning devices from Germany.

Not a single regret!

Also picked up an EAR 868 Linestage and an EAR 890 power amplifier. Changed all cables to Kubala Sosna Emotions (XLR, so fully balanced system), including speaker cables.
End of this year, I might go speaker shopping. Looking at Marten Design Birds, QUAD 2905, Wilson Sasha and a few others.

Last edited:
Hello Shaizada,

Good to see you looking alive!

And things must be looking good for you, for you to continue your exploration in the audio world!

Regards,
Viren

Hello Shaizada,

Good to see you looking alive!

And things must be looking good for you, for you to continue your exploration in the audio world!

Regards,
Viren

Viren Ji,

I hope you've not made a trip here since we last met...because if you made one without informing me, I would be very naraaz! I really hope you get a chance to come over again...we can listen to music together and I can share what changes have come about since you last visited, and why.

Yes, things are going very well! There is just so much audio territory to explore, it's just a joy.

Here's my simple setup:

1. Akai AP-206C Direct Drive TT (Audio Technica Cartridge)
2. NAD 3020i
3. Yahama A-550

I primarily use the NAD 3020i for my TT as I love the preformance of this NAD. My review is pending on this Amp and will be posted shortly.

Cheers and keep turning :)

My set up

Main stereo: Technics 1200 MKII with Shure M-44-7 > Sonodyne Uranus amp
Second set up: Pioneer PL-X99 with Shure M92E > Pioneer Stereo Integrated A 20 amp

@
shaizada -- hi where were u? I think we are connected on facebook too , never saw much activity.

Hello Hemant!

I've been busy so yes, little activity online from my side. I'm not a huge facebook kind of guy. You have my email address right? That would be the best way to reach out to me. If not, just PM me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks buddy!

Bump...wanted to see this thread alive again...simply because I think it is helpful if people have experiences or impressions that they might share with other members.

On my side, I've brought a few changes in my vinyl setup.

Got a few new phono stages AND repurchased an old favorite that I let go by mistake (a friend really wanted it!).

Bought:
- EAR 324 (Chrome Faceplate)
- Eddie Current Transcription Phono
- Ray Samuels Nighthawk (Re-purchased as I was missing it!)
- Changed interconnect from Turntable to Phonostage. A meter length of Kubala Sosna Elation
- Got a Jan Allaerts MC1B and a Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA (Both are low output Moving Coil cartridges)
- Townhend Maximum Super Tweeters (these warmed up the system beautifully and opened up the soundstage further. Filled in more details and air. No etch, no brightness).
- Stein Music Harmonizers (H2A and H2B, Magic Stones, Blue Diamonds and Black Diamonds). Amazing room tuning devices from Germany.

Not a single regret!

Also picked up an EAR 868 Linestage and an EAR 890 power amplifier. Changed all cables to Kubala Sosna Emotions (XLR, so fully balanced system), including speaker cables.
End of this year, I might go speaker shopping. Looking at Marten Design Birds, QUAD 2905, Wilson Sasha and a few others.

Shaizada, thats an interesting list of purchases. I too have bought a VDH Condor XGM cartridge. How do the MC1B compare with the Grasshopper ?

Shaizada, thats an interesting list of purchases. I too have bought a VDH Condor XGM cartridge. How do the MC1B compare with the Grasshopper ?

I really like the VDH sound. Open, warm and very inviting. Damn good bass performance. The Jan Allerts MC1B is my current favorite and best cartridge. It is open, clear and tells you very honestly what's on the record. It doesn't favor any part of the frequency spectrum, unlike the VDH, which tends to favor the warmer side of things. The Jan Allaerts is definitely a reference cartridge.

Plus, the JA has a circa 10,000 hour stylus life...that just blows me away.

I really like the VDH sound. Open, warm and very inviting. Damn good bass performance. The Jan Allerts MC1B is my current favorite and best cartridge. It is open, clear and tells you very honestly what's on the record. It doesn't favor any part of the frequency spectrum, unlike the VDH, which tends to favor the warmer side of things. The Jan Allaerts is definitely a reference cartridge.

Plus, the JA has a circa 10,000 hour stylus life...that just blows me away.

Shaizada, Have you ever heard a Miyabi or a ZYX cartridge ?

Hey Shaizada! Good to see you posting again! How u been buddy????

@Dr Bass, I prefer the Shilabe... warmer for sure... but super tone.

Hey Shaizada! Good to see you posting again! How u been buddy????

@Dr Bass, I prefer the Shilabe... warmer for sure... but super tone.

Good to hear from you too Moderator :). Been keeping well. Busy but well.
Malvai' I think you are confusing the Miyabi with the Miyajima Shilabe. Different carts. The shilabe is better mated with heavier arms in the 12gram + range.

Manav, I re-bought the Nighthawk :) only component in history I have ever done that with. Funny coming back to it.

Good to hear from you too Moderator :). Been keeping well. Busy but well.
Malvai' I think you are confusing the Miyabi with the Miyajima Shilabe. Different carts. The shilabe is better mated with heavier arms in the 12gram + range.

Manav, I re-bought the Nighthawk :) only component in history I have ever done that with. Funny coming back to it.

I did confuse the Miyabi with Miyajima!

BTW, i have never been able to gather the courage to even consider selling my Nighthawk!

it is just too good - at any price point!

I did confuse the Miyabi with Miyajima!

BTW, i have never been able to gather the courage to even consider selling my Nighthawk!

it is just too good - at any price point!

I don't know what your serial number is, but I spoke with Ray recently and me mentioned that he has actually updated the internals of the Nighthawk from serial number 400 onwards. I need to send mine in to him as he says that it takes the phono up a few more significant notches in sound quality.

I'll get around to it...eventually.

I don't know what your serial number is, but I spoke with Ray recently and me mentioned that he has actually updated the internals of the Nighthawk from serial number 400 onwards. I need to send mine in to him as he says that it takes the phono up a few more significant notches in sound quality.

I'll get around to it...eventually.

Thanks for the tip bro. Will check the serial no on mine.... I am guessing its in the 5xx's.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back