Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

I've just brought home a Jadis DPMC Phonostage on loan from a Dealer. Such beauty and romance with this piece!

jadis_DPMC_1.jpg

Giving it a run through. I think it is absolutely stunning on Classical and Jazz. I played some Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar and it didn't seem to fare to well. It softens sound and rounds the transients a bit. The dynamic kick is lacking. However, the way it renders horn instruments, brass pieces, piano, strings is sublime! It surpasses the Nighthawk readily in that regard. More or less equals the EAR 324. Bloomy piece...but I'm falling for it...damn it. EDIT: More listening...hearing lots of tones, overtones and stupendous harmonics. MAJOR TONALITY.

Last edited:
Hey Shaizada,
how does the 324 hold up against the Einstein phono?

I have a TOTL EAR preamp with built in phono (has all the fine tuning knobs) and that was truly incredible....

Currently, my reference phono is a MONK. Darned fine phono, and will improve if it got a BPS, which I believe Michael Betrup (the owner) is working on....

But, EAR has always intrigued me and would love to know more about the 324, as there are virtually no reviews comparing it to some of the more known stages....

The Einstein and EAR 324 are two really big heavyweights. The Einstein actually has a lower noise floor than the EAR 324. But they sound so very different to each other. The EAR has the most excellent custom wounds transformers that Paravicini does so well which step up the cart voltage to be used by the Phono RIAA section. The sound is extremely bold and full bodied.

The Einstein is a fully discrete FET based phono. Difficult to implement properly, but those german engineers just nailed it. Sound is nuanced, clear, airy yet still warm. It would be so much easier if you just heard it here in person. Gets very difficult to put in words.

The TOTL you might be referring to is the 912 Control Center. If you have that, then you already have one of Tim's masterpiece creation. The Line stage in the piece is absolutely stunning and is the EXACT same circuit has the EAR 868L (Linestage Only). The phono section of the 912 is tubed and is the same phono as the EAR 88PB. I find that phono section somewhat softer than the EAR 324. The 324 is a completely solid state. It is the same the exact same phono section of the Tims ultimate TOTL 312 Preamp control center:
5351633617_6597f699ab.jpg

That is his absolute reference $26,000 piece. The 324 is just the phono section of his statement piece. I find it has more drive, dynamics and linearity than the tubed phono of the 912. PLUS, I can keep my turntable and phono section away from the rest of the setup for convenience and quietude.

So you already have an EAR 912 Preamp??

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Cybervinay. If it's the same guy, I think my uncle in Bangalore bought his EAR 868 with the phonostage built in (same exact phono stage as the 912 AND the EAR 88PB).

I've just not made it out to Delhi for some time now...that should change soon as I might be frequenting Pune. Could fly out to Delhi on the weekend or something. Of course I will look you up...I didn't realize you had moved to Gurgaon. I have tons of friends there.

Anyhow, now I'm figuring out ways to keep the Jadis phonostage in my system now. I do NOT NEED a 5th phono stage, but it just sounds so romantic...trust the FRENCH to be romance kings!
I would NOT recommend the Jadis DPMC as your one and only phono stage. It just doesn't do progressive rock, rock, metal properly. Everything else is amazing. I love how it does Jazz, Acoustic music, Blues, Chamber music, even large and small orchestras. It's a sickness...I'm ashamed of it, but I'm happy...happily ashamed I guess! :)

Last edited:
Malvai, even though you mistook Miyajima to be Miyabi, you are right though that the Shilabe is a cartridge to be tried.

At the moment I have managed to find a Miyabi 47 and playing it on a Naim ARO. Nothing spectacular about it (unlike the ZYX and Lyras) however it plays music in a very straight forward manner, like a Denon 103, however with a much higher level of refinement, clean uncluttered dynamics and much lower noise floor than a 103. You can clearly feel that the designer is an old school guy and admires the likes of 103 and SPUs. There is no titanium body or Boron cantilever here, just a aluminium cantilever and some speical plastic based material for the body. And one can hear this simplicity in the sound. Very nice!!

shaizada;480499 I've just not made it out to Delhi for some time now...that should change soon as I might be frequenting Pune. Could fly out to Delhi on the weekend or something. Of course I will look you up...I didn't realize you had moved to Gurgaon. I have tons of friends there. Anyhow said:
It'll be good to have you in Gurgaon bro! Lemme know when!

Also, have you tried any LCR phono's? I am dying to try one....

Malvai, even though you mistook Miyajima to be Miyabi, you are right though that the Shilabe is a cartridge to be tried.

I really liked the Shilabe.... But nowadays, I am trippin' on a NOS Koetsu Onyx (the original longbodymade by Sugano san sr.) and am waiting for my Ortofon SPU to come back from its re-build... that is something that I am REALLY waiting for.... some of these old carts are truly magical....

But nowadays, I am trippin' on a NOS Koetsu Onyx (the original longbodymade by Sugano san sr.)

Does this mean that the much-neglected 401 is up and running with the 3012 arm?

What is Onyx sound signature like?

It'll be good to have you in Gurgaon bro! Lemme know when!

Also, have you tried any LCR phono's? I am dying to try one....

I really liked the Shilabe.... But nowadays, I am trippin' on a NOS Koetsu Onyx (the original longbodymade by Sugano san sr.) and am waiting for my Ortofon SPU to come back from its re-build... that is something that I am REALLY waiting for.... some of these old carts are truly magical....

Hey chief! The only LCR I've heard is the Allnic H3000. I was VERY impressed with it. Not enough to open up my wallet to it though as I still feel the EAR 324 and Einstein Turntables choice are better suited to my listening tastes.

The Koetsu stone bodies are fantastic sounding. Does yours come with the Platinum magnets? The platinum magnet motor, I feel, has much better extension and a more revealing sound sound. The regular motors are more akin to the wood body sound. Really inviting and magical, but lacking resolution. Anyhow, once a person succumbs to the Koetsu sound, it is hard to hear other cartridges. So mood, taste and almost astrologically dependent! :)

^^^
Shaizada, mine's the older long body, so I guess it does not have the platinum magnets.... but, yeah while its not as revealing as the newer one, it is definitely more magical. (to me of course!)

The Koetsu sound is is VERY very addictive.... its warm, lush, inviting....

@Joshua, yep, been listening to the 401 a bit... is very very good! The belt driven beauty has taken a backseat for now....

Will share more on the 401 thread...

Malvai, you are absolutely right. The whole Koetsu line up is magical and addictive. For the most part, as you go up in price, you keep getting more resolution and better motors. Once you hit the stone bodies, you start getting variances in flavor, not so much resolution. The Koetsu "Magic" is maintained completely throughout the line up. You just get more revealing extremes, bass and treble performance as you go up the line.

I would LOVE to hear your setup whenever I get to Delhi...that's a definite!

Enjoy my friend...you have had a great journey so far :)

What are your load and gain settings on the Nighthawk for the Koetsu?

Malvai, you are absolutely right. The whole Koetsu line up is magical and addictive. For the most part, as you go up in price, you keep getting more resolution and better motors. Once you hit the stone bodies, you start getting variances in flavor, not so much resolution. The Koetsu "Magic" is maintained completely throughout the line up. You just get more revealing extremes, bass and treble performance as you go up the line.

I would LOVE to hear your setup whenever I get to Delhi...that's a definite!

Enjoy my friend...you have had a great journey so far :)

What are your load and gain settings on the Nighthawk for the Koetsu?

You're most welcome to come over Shaizada, it'll be fun!

I am not using the Nighthawk for the Koetsu. I am using the Monk Phono. Sounds pretty good!

Have any of you guys heard a 47 Labs Phonocube phonostage ? Supposedly it is one of the truest sounding phono. I am eyeing on one when I see a good deal on Agon.

@Dr. Bass, Omishra's "Hypnotoad" DIY phono is based on the phonocube (i think).... It is pretty good at a fraction of the price. Why don't you try it? Best case scenario would be that you'd not have to spend big bucks! Worst case scenario is that you get a taste of the Phonocube at a pittance, and then decide to go for it, or not!

@Dr. Bass, Omishra's "Hypnotoad" DIY phono is based on the phonocube (i think).... It is pretty good at a fraction of the price. Why don't you try it? Best case scenario would be that you'd not have to spend big bucks! Worst case scenario is that you get a taste of the Phonocube at a pittance, and then decide to go for it, or not!

HI Manav,
Yes that is very good.There is even a newer(better) version only for LOMC http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=501186

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Audio Technica ATLP-120USD DD TT with built-in pre-amp, Audio Technica AT-120E cart, Sonodyne MP-606 receiver, Sonodyne MPA-6150 Power Amp, Sonodyne Sonus speakers. Thinking of buying Norge tuner.

Back