Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

shaizada

Hey guys,

I just wanted to start this thread so that we can have a list of vinyl gear and owners. I think it would help especially if there are people looking to buy or have questions than can be answered by owners.

Please list the following if you can:
1) Turntable brand/model and new price
2) Phono amp brand/model and new price
3) What cables are being used (i.e. turntable -> Phono, Phono -> preamp) and price
4) What brand/model of cartridge, type (Moving Magnet or Moving Coil) and price
5) OPTIONALLY: Any thing special done for the vinyl setup (i.e. Power conditioning, Vibration Control etc).
6) OPTIONALLY: Picture/s of the setup would be nice as well.
7) OPTIONALLY: Willingness to invite interested audiophiles for a listening session.

Thanks for contributing! It should be a worthwhile thread for everyone interested in Vinyl.

Any Dealers, please feel free to contribute to this thread in the above specified manner. Also, please add where the equipment can be auditioned for possible interested parties.

Last edited:
ok - I will be there in this list soon.
any one wanna part away with a good TT to get me into this list?

regards

Ok so here is my Analog source setup:

1) Turntable is a VPI TNT-V "Hot Rod" with the JMW 12.5 tonearm and SDS Speed Controller (USD $12,500). The turntable has the HRX Motor / Flywheel and the Acrylic platter.

Vinyl_Table.JPG

Vinyl%20Setup.JPG

2) Phono amp is a Einstein "Turntables Choice" phono stage (USD $5,400)

Vinyl_Phono.JPG

Einstein003.jpg

3) Cable from Turntable to Phono stage is a 0.75m Harmonix HS101 Golden Performance (USD $1,540 per meter)

openHarmonix.jpg

Vinyl_Cable.JPG

Power cable for Phono Stage and Turntable VPI SDS power supply is a Soundstring power cable (Forgot price)

20amp-120v.jpg

Cable from Phono stage to pre amplifier is a 6 meter Soundstring RCA interconnect (USD $600 per meter)

interconnect.jpg

4) Cartridge is a Clearaudio "Accurate". This is 0.7mV Moving Coil cartridge handmade in Germany (USD $5,000)

Vinyl_Cartridge.JPG

CAACCU.JPG

5) Using Oyaide SWO-GX Ultimo Gold plated AC Outlet (USD $95) for phono stage and VPI SDS power supply.

oyaide_swo-gx.jpg

Using a VPI MDF base for underneath the turntable (USD $600) and a VPI Turntable Stand (USD $600)

On_stand.jpg

Also using a Symposium Ultra Shelf between the VPI Stand and the VPI MDF base ($799) and Symposium Rollerblocks (USD $299 for a set of 3) between the Ultra Shelf and the VPI MDF Base.

symposiumultra.jpg

S-RBJR-3.jpg

Total Vinyl Source cost all said and done is about $31,000.
Total enjoyment.......priceless.

Last edited:
Hi
I cant afford hifi Turntables and I believe this is for audiophile equipments. But I want to join in as I love Vinyls. This would be good thread for sharing information and thoughts

I listen to vinyls on Pioneer KH-5522 Deck
other than this all stuff is previously owned and came with vinyls I bought from individuals
(1) Turntables
Technics SL-2000 with elliptical diamond stylus, Technics Linear Tracking SL-5, Sansui FR-D35
FOR 78s : Vintage philips with buit in amp (78s sound sweet on it with no tracking control, no counterweight, no damping of vibrations etc)
(2) (3) No Phonoamp / Cables required as these are no audiophile equipments
(4) Cartridges
Lots of Ceramic cartridges, 4 to 5 Shure Cartridges, few EEI Cartridges
(5) The Pioneer has built in springs below plinth, felt rubber feet, Tracking adjustment, counterweight etc.

In future If I can afford my choice would be Thorens TD190 as it is a three speed turntable with built in preamp and design+looks are fantastic (I am a Graphic Designer by profession so looks are important)

Thanks for starting this thread Shaizada. Cant wait to see other join in specially audiophile equipments.
Regards
Hiten

Thanks for starting such a nice thread Shaizada. Here is my little setup.
Turntable: Technics SL-D3 (DD, 2 speed, full auto with repeat function)
Amp: Kenwood KA-2200 (Built in phonostage MM & MC, adjustable cart load- 16,47,100 omhs)
Speaker: DIY 4 way floorstander.
No fancy cable.

Last edited:
Hai Shaizada,

Here's my simple setup,

TT AKAI AP-B1- Beltdrive,
Cartridge - Audio Technica - AT 91-MM
Amp - NORGE 2060 with Phono Input(Ordered)

Thanks,

N.Murali

Last edited:
My equipment is:

1. Thorens TD-135 with Shure M75
2. Dual 721 with Shure M75
3. Thorens TD-160 with Ortofon OM-20

All connected to a vintage Yamaha Pre-amp which has 2 phono inputs switchable between MM and MC.

Amp is my phased out AV receiver Yamaha DSP-A1

Audioquest cables.

Just bought a Technics SP-10 Mk2 in US, have not brought this to India yet. Eagerly looking forward to setting it up.

Regards

Cool thread, Shaizada!

Here's my set-up:

Garrard 301, SME Series III, Shure V15VxMR
Garrard 401, SME 3009 S2, Shure M97HE
Linn LP12, SME 3009 Series II, Empire 2000E/II (up for sale)
Mobile Fidelity X-LP phonostage
Stock SME interconnects from arms
Siltech London IC from phonostage to amp
Cadence VA 1.0 HP/ Cadence Avitas

will try and post some pics later..

cheers!

Big SME fan huh! :) I was almost about to get a SME V tonearm for my table, but decided against that. Went with the stock JME 12.5 arm and got a better phonostage than I had originally planned. I'd say it all worked out well in the end.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the thread. It was my pleasure to start this thread just to know how deep everyone is into Analog setups :)

Keep it coming.

Yes. SME is a bit of a classic, and they're in my set-up as much for that as also because of availability(used) here in India. There are excellent substitutes out there - and your JMW is highly rated too, esp. on VPI TTs - but you can't get them out here without spending some serious money. The SME V costs more than 2.5 lacs in India (thru their dealers, Cadence). The only other arm available directly, to my knowledge, is the carbon fibre one from Pro-ject, and that too is 75K+.

Just bought a Technics SP-10 Mk2 in US, have not brought this to India yet. Eagerly looking forward to setting it up.

Hi,

Just one word WOW.

I have these Turntables:
Garrard 301/Syrinx PU2/Fidelity Research FRT 3 MkIII(on loan to my friend otherwise it was not being used much)

Thorens TD124/SME 3009/V15/III

Linn LP12/Ittok/Karma.

I also have the Linn ASAK fresh from a retip by Soundsmiths (USA)and a Linn Troika on its way for a retip.

Phono stages/Transformers:

Lyrita
Naim Stageline
Linn Linnk
Fidelity Resaerch FRT 4

Regards
Rajiv

Yes. SME is a bit of a classic, and they're in my set-up as much for that as also because of availability(used) here in India. There are excellent substitutes out there - and your JMW is highly rated too, esp. on VPI TTs - but you can't get them out here without spending some serious money. The SME V costs more than 2.5 lacs in India (thru their dealers, Cadence). The only other arm available directly, to my knowledge, is the carbon fibre one from Pro-ject, and that too is 75K+.

VPI will be available soon from Bangalore :eek:hyeah:

Hi,
I have a Clear Audio Champion (smaller model) with SME-V Tone Arm.
Lyra Helicon MC catridge, Graham Slee- Era Gold-V and Elevator Express phono stages with Silver phono cables.
Graham Slee Era Gold & Elevator Express could be one of the best phono stages and not so expensive looking at the competetion. Will beat many phono stages many times their price.
I am trying Squash balls (kept in small ceremic cups smaller than Squash balls)
below a 20"x 16"x 20mm Acrylic plate on which the turntable is kept for vibration control which appears to be working well. It is a self made cheap way to control resonance passing to the arm and platter.
Sound is really good.
From my experience for a good analogue sound the most important thing is Phono stage, Catridge and tone arm and cabling of tone arm upto the phono stage in that order. I think most turntables are good these days with a decent bearing and seperate motor and belt drive which controls vibration.
Companies are just adding mass/weight to the table these days to increase selling price. Crazy prices 20K,50K even 100K.

I think the basic and ultimate job of a turntable is to spin the Record smoothly at correct speed with a good Bearing and minimum vibration and resonance. Which most tables will do these days. A decent tone arm like Rega 250 or 300 with decent wiring or rewiring upgrade will give very good results. Catridge makes a big difference and one has to go by his budget. There are a few good phono stages at reasonable price but unfortunately because of rupee depreciating every thing becomes expensive.
I think one can assemble a good analogue system at reasonable cost if he is clever and does some research.
Alternatively ready made choices like Rega, Project,Origin Live UK etc have models for every level along with Japanese brands like Teac, denon etc.
Audiogon site can be of help as there are some very good deals due to financial crises.

My humble analogue rig is a ProJect Xpression 1.2 with an ortofon 2m red cart sending signals via ProJect's Tube Box Mk2. Sorry don't have any pix!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back