Tymphany custom OEM surplus drivers group buy

Hi maniraj/Other,

Can anyone share the cut out diagram or complete diagram for enclosure design, the one i downloaded from diyaudio is unclear to my carpenter.

Hi maniraj/Other,

Can anyone share the cut out diagram or complete diagram for enclosure design, the one i downloaded from diyaudio is unclear to my carpenter.

Here is the TABAQ build PDF file which I have used but for a dual driver version. If you are going to use the dual drivers then just give a gap of 10cm between them and you are good to go.

I haven't seen anything quite like that locally. It seems to be optimized for wall- and ceiling-mount applications, but Z is 4 ohms. Perhaps WFW configurations with the woofers in series may be workable in a Wibaq-type enclosure.

* Bump* - Things were quiet for a while on the Tymphany driver, but a remarkable development was posted today by xrk971 at the diyaudio full-range forums:

TPY03W06O0111 (a.k.a. OEM Black TG9FD) - Page 2 - diyAudio

It's a FAST with a Dayton RS-225 as the subwoofer, and the Tymphany as the full-range. The measurements speak for themselves - it's a remarkable design from a remarkable DIYer. I would strongly recommend attempting that design or something similar, as it has numerous virtues apart from the performance - it's also reasonably simple to implement.

Thanks go to Raktim who was able to send a couple of drivers across to xrk971 in the US, from his remaining spares after completing his 2x 25 line-arrays.

He's using a miniDSP for the FAST right?

Actually, I don't know yet, since I hadn't seen his original design which used the RS225 with the ScanSpeak 10F in detail - but it's plausible, since he's using a 4th-order LPF for the RS225 at 325 Hz, along with a 2nd-order HPF at 500 Hz for the full-range. There's also some kind of equalization to flatten the highs of the Tymphany (the bare driver rolls off from 10.5 kHz, so some magic sauce is required to get the flat response to 20 kHz that xrk971 achieved). BSC for the RS225 is also included.

MiniDSP + active bi-amping seems to be the easiest way to play around and get the measured flatness that he obtained. If it's a passive XO, it's remarkable, but it can be achieved with the right measurement setup and a lot of experimentation.

The question remains: is it possible to achieve something like this with generic woofers like the ones we get locally? Maybe the classic Philips 8" dual-cone + Tymphany as a FAST, with just passive BSC and XO?

The question remains: is it possible to achieve something like this with generic woofers like the ones we get locally? Maybe the classic Philips 8" dual-cone + Tymphany as a FAST, with just passive BSC and XO?

Can anyone share more details about FAST?

I have been using the tabaq boxes with these tymphany drivers along with a F&D sub woofer and provide a nice listening experience. The tabaqs very easily go down till 60 hz. When crossed with a sub at 60 hz, They provide a good FAST set up. I have been using philips hi q for a long time, before these tymphanys arrived. Now, my main speakers are the tymphanys in the tabaq cabinet. The sound stage and the room filling sound is simply unbeatable. As a diyaudio member said, we are extremely lucky to get such an excellent driver at a down to earth cost.

Can anyone share more details about FAST?

Check out this full thread at diyAudio - it covers the entire design of xrk971's original RS225-8/10F8424 FAST:

10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST Ref Monitor - diyAudio

It's miniDSP-based with active bi-amping, as Keith mentioned. The advantage is that tweaks to the XO are SW-based, allowing for a lot of experimentation. The RS225-8 woofer is in a sealed ~24 litre enclosure. The ScanSpeak 10F8424 is in a small ~1.1L foam-core dagger TL within the main enclosure.

The ScanSpeak 10F8424 and the Tymphany TPY03W06o0111 are closely related - they were both originally designed and manufactured by Tymphany, and have similar physical dimensions. The former has a Neodymium magnet and a circular mounting-frame, while the latter has a conventional ferrite and a squared-off mounting frame. Needless to say, the ScanSpeak 10F is priced some 8x-10x more than the Tymphany, which was intended for volume consumer applications like large-screen LCD TVs and so on.

What xrk971 did, as an experiment, was to replace the ScanSpeak with the Tymphany, and tweak the XO and equalization in MiniDSP slightly to implement a 4th-order acoustic Harsch XO. He uses a TP3116 30W Class-D (with mods) to drive the FR.

The result was spectacular - pretty much dead flat from 500 Hz to 20 kHz for the full-range portion, and flat low extension down to 50 Hz and below with the RS225 woofer. The acoustic response in the highs is even better than the ScanSpeak, which rolls off around 15 KHz or so.

This experimentation works best with miniDSP, of course, but the active filters and equalization that have been employed appear to be simple enough to implement with an opamp butterworth active filter once the parameters are worked out, which is a one-time exercise. In other words, one can use the validated settings from the miniDSP 2-way crossover plug-in to derive an analog active filter design and proceed from there.

If a different woofer is chosen (say a smaller 6" or thereabouts), the same process has to be gone through again, perhaps yielding a smaller cabinet size than the 24 litres for the RS225-8. The attraction here is that a modest medium-sized sealed 2-way FAST bookshelf cabinet seems to be within reach, with a modest expenditure on an active bi-amp - both of which can be Class-D, giving further economies, but with an exceptional acoustic response from ~50 Hz to 20 kHz.

Last edited:
I just finished building TABAQ box with single TYPY03W06O0111 driver per box.
Bass and mid are awesome for the size but bass is little bit boomy, I think this may be because this is high qts driver and require larger volume than TABAQ. Is there any option to make the bass less boomy without changing the box dimensions?
Will try more stuffing, but not sure if it will help.

Thanks,
Anirudha

I just finished building TABAQ box with single TYPY03W06O0111 driver per box.
Bass and mid are awesome for the size but bass is little bit boomy, I think this may be because this is high qts driver and require larger volume than TABAQ. Is there any option to make the bass less boomy without changing the box dimensions?
Will try more stuffing, but not sure if it will help.

Adjusting stuffing should help - generally, stuffing should be at the closed 1/3rd section, while the open 2/3 section should be empty.

The other thing that can cause boominess is a sub-optimal BSC network. Since the optimal values for a BSC are also a function of speaker placement and room acoustics, it's hard to make an exact recommendation here. If the speakers are up against the rear wall, a BSC may not be required. Otherwise, you can start with about (0.75 uH || 5 ohms) as a ballpark value.

Adjusting stuffing should help - generally, stuffing should be at the closed 1/3rd section, while the open 2/3 section should be empty.

The other thing that can cause boominess is a sub-optimal BSC network. Since the optimal values for a BSC are also a function of speaker placement and room acoustics, it's hard to make an exact recommendation here. If the speakers are up against the rear wall, a BSC may not be required. Otherwise, you can start with about (0.75 uH || 5 ohms) as a ballpark value.
Thanks for the reply.
I am using 0.80mH || 5.6Ohm, close to what was recommended by you in one of your earlier posts. I did stuffing till 2/3 from closed end, will try changing it.

I am thinking to scrap the TABAQ enclosure and build a 2.1 using TYPY03W06O0111 and some subwoofer (yet to decide). Although Bass is very good for 3.5 inch, but I need more :)
TYPY03W06O0111 looks like an awesome choice for Hi End 2.1 system.
Have anyone tried any similar setup?

I am thinking to scrap the TABAQ enclosure and build a 2.1 using TYPY03W06O0111 and some subwoofer (yet to decide). Although Bass is very good for 3.5 inch, but I need more :)
TYPY03W06O0111 looks like an awesome choice for Hi End 2.1 system.
Have anyone tried any similar setup?

You do not need to scrap Tabaq enclosure. I replaced tymphany with Dayton reference 4" in my Tabaq enclosure and it is awesome. Surprisingly, I did not have to change the cut out as it was exactly same.

You do not need to scrap Tabaq enclosure. I replaced tymphany with Dayton reference 4" in my Tabaq enclosure and it is awesome. Surprisingly, I did not have to change the cut out as it was exactly same.

Great to know about this. Is bass better than tymphany?

But that Cost is worth it. I use the dayton full range (rs100-8) in a ported enclosure (mini monitor). If you close you eyes you won't believe that those mini drivers are producing these kinda sound. One friend of mine even asked me if these were some high end drivers.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back