Tymphany custom OEM surplus drivers group buy

Spent some time on enhancing bass by adding/removing polyfill and finally found the right amount of polyfill for good sound.I am liking the sound now. Thanks for recommending RS100. Dayton RS100 may be better than this, but the cost of 1 Dayton is more than the total project cost. I will stick with tymphany for now. will plan for upgrade later. Here is the pic.
IMG_20160528_182333519_HDR_1.jpg

TABAQ with tymphany is an excellent way to hear music.It goes down upto 60 hz. If you can cross with a subwoofer, below that,You will have a complete setup. I presently use the
same

Don't have measuring equipment to measure low frequency. but I don't feel a need of sub for music. Sub will be needed For movies and/or music at high volume.
I am driving it with Dayton APA150 amplifier and it sounds clean and powerful.
TABAQ + tympany is great, I got this project done spending approx Rs2800, great VFM.

Very funky. Love the colors. Different from the staid and boring wood finishes. Well done!
Love the BSC component "containers" too. :clapping:

Exitedly awaiting the speakers from Linixguru.I have ordered four. Will initiate the build once the speakers arrives.
Regards
Somak

Spent some time on enhancing bass by adding/removing polyfill and finally found the right amount of polyfill for good sound.I am liking the sound now. Thanks for recommending RS100. Dayton RS100 may be better than this, but the cost of 1 Dayton is more than the total project cost. I will stick with tymphany for now. will plan for upgrade later. Here is the pic.
IMG_20160528_182333519_HDR_1.jpg

Liked the exciting Rainbow type colour. BTW, are you using some TL box simulator to arrive at the box dimensions? Curious to know.

Cheers,

I used the same dimensions as of TABAQ, I did simulated the response using leonard audio transmission line software but I could not find option to specify 2/3 box full of polyfill.
I noticed that simulated response in TABAQ enclosure was having decent low frequency response. Response was better if I increase the volume (Area and Length), but practically I felt that having more than 10 liter box for this speaker will not make sense. So I settled for TABAQ which is successfully tried and tested by many DIYers with various drivers.

I used the same dimensions as of TABAQ, I did simulated the response using leonard audio transmission line software but I could not find option to specify 2/3 box full of polyfill.
I noticed that simulated response in TABAQ enclosure was having decent low frequency response. Response was better if I increase the volume (Area and Length), but practically I felt that having more than 10 liter box for this speaker will not make sense. So I settled for TABAQ which is successfully tried and tested by many DIYers with various drivers.
Can you post the simulated curves? I remember that long ago, when I modeled this in the TABAQ enclosure, the FR showed a nasty peaky knee.

Last edited:
In LA you can polyfill 2/3rd box by splitting the element. For 2/3rd fill you need to first split into 1/2 and then the lower half in to another 1/2. Then you fill the top three parts to get 2/3rd fill.

Hope that helps.

BTW, how did you add the terminus in LA?

If you have the TS parameter for the Tymphany i can simulate that for you.

If you have the TS parameter for the Tymphany i can simulate that for you.

Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

Thiele-Small Parameters

Resonant Frequency (Fs)125 HzDC Resistance (Re)6.3 ohms

Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.05 mHMechanical Q (Qms)2.7

Electromagnetic Q (Qes)1.33Total Q (Qts)0.89

Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.04 ft.Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.67 mm/N

BL Product (BL)3.01 TmDiaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)2.43g

Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2.55 mmSurface Area of Cone (Sd)36.3 cm

Regards
Sachin

Shall I post only the simulations or the box details too? Please suggest.

Last edited:
Shall I post only the simulations or the box details too? Please suggest.
Thanks Hari
I have already built Folded TABAQ using Tymphany drivers. They sound very nice with my Amp Camp. I will not experiment further as main speakers should be ready end of this month.

Regards
Sachin

Thanks Hari
I have already built Folded TABAQ using Tymphany drivers. They sound very nice with my Amp Camp. I will not experiment further as main speakers should be ready end of this month.

Regards
Sachin

OK, will only post the simulations in that case.

Thanks,

Initial simulations with the specified TS parameters are not very encouraging. As mentioned by Keith there is a major dip in response (i would say a notch) in the mid-bass range from 300Hz to 700Hz which is as huge as -9dB which is not getting corrected by increasing stuffing density. May be i need to tune the box a little more higher to reduce this notch. Currently tuned at 120Hz.

The MJK alignment tables are not available after 70Hz resonance of drivers and hence will need to rely only on the simulation for the exact dimensions. Will post images asap.

Thanks,

Further simulations and modification of cross-section and tuning gives me this result,
So = 19 in^2
Sl = 19 in^2
Line length = 23 in
Off-set = 1.5 in
Tuning freq = 120Hz

Terminus:
Area = 7 in^2
Length = 1.5 in

Stuffing density = 0.5lb/ft^3

The lowest this speaker can go with this dimension is around 80Hz. The maximum air velocity is around 70Hz.

Last edited:
Some simulation images of the stuffed and unstuffed line as per the previous post.

Last edited:
Require inputs from fellow forum members

Hi
I am writing this post with a very heavy heart. I had booked for four Tympany speaker by paying for the same through bank transfer as asked by the group buy initiator, on the 2nd of August 2016. But till date I have not got the shipment. I had requested him to either ship or return the amount which has not been done.Even afte numerous emails and telephonic request nothing has been done.
I have participated in numerous group buys in various forum but have never experienced such an issue ever .
Please guide me as to how do I go about in this situation.
Regards
Somak

Re: Require inputs from fellow forum members

Hi
I am writing this post with a very heavy heart. I had booked for four Tympany speaker by paying for the same through bank transfer as asked by the group buy initiator, on the 2nd of August 2016. But till date I have not got the shipment. I had requested him to either ship or return the amount which has not been done.Even afte numerous emails and telephonic request nothing has been done.
I have participated in numerous group buys in various forum but have never experienced such an issue ever .
Please guide me as to how do I go about in this situation.
Regards
Somak

I am very sorry to hear this. Siva is not like this, I have bought stuff from his previously without any hassle. I think there is some other problem here, if Siva would come and clear this situation up then that would be very helpful.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back