Understanding bipole/dipole monopole speakers

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

I'm attaching a few pics of my HT room. I have a 5.1.4 setup.

My current surround are JBL arena speakers. Their placement is neither rear or side surrounds. It's somewhere in between if you see from the picture.

To correct that, I thought of getting bi/dipole speakers. And lowering the height slightly if need be. Is that a good idea? Will bi/dipole speakers give a more uniform and emmersive sound for movie watching?

Attachments

• IMG-20190104-WA0045.jpg
    IMG-20190104-WA0045.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-20190104-WA0044.jpg
    IMG-20190104-WA0044.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-20190104-WA0049.jpg
    IMG-20190104-WA0049.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 50
Bipole/Dipole do spread the sound better than monopole speakers specifically for surrounds/back.
Yes reducing the height (if possible) will make it a wee bit more immersive; try tweeter at 45 - 55 inches.
Try also a bit of toe-in or angling (maybe a cheap wall bracket stand that turns may do the trick).
If none of them satisfy you, borrow from local FMs and check out before putting money down.

Cheers,
Raghu

My current surround are JBL arena speakers. Their placement is neither rear or side surrounds. It's somewhere in between if you see from the picture.
Looking at the last picture, your surrounds look like they are elevated but otherwise directly to the sides of the listeners.
To correct that, I thought of getting bi/dipole speakers. And lowering the height slightly if need be. Is that a good idea? Will bi/dipole speakers give a more uniform and emmersive sound for movie watching?
Lowering the speakers to just above ear level will be helpful, because it will give you better separation between sounds around you versus sounds above you (the hallmark of a good immersive audio set-up). Switching to bi/dipole speakers might help, since those speakers will have 2 sets of drivers aimed away from each other, so one set of drivers will end up pointing towards the listeners. You can accomplish the same by turning your existing surround speakers so that they point towards the listeners. Don't understand why you have them pointed towards the front of the room. Who is sitting up there?

I'm attaching a few pics of my HT room. I have a 5.1.4 setup.

Hi

Ideally given the room shape and options...the ideal placement of these speakers should have been sideways...

1546648321870.png

Not sure how much of the wall you have on either side to have done this......anyways.....you may need to look at Bi / Di pole speakers which can be placed at the existing surround spots but a bit lower.....(5.5 feet from ground or ear level....)

This link should help to some extent.....from an understanding perspective....

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/surround-speaker-dipole-vs-bipole

Last edited:
Try also a bit of toe-in or angling (maybe a cheap wall bracket stand that turns may do the trick).
I have a wall bracket that I had got from Aliexpress, I think I’ll first try lowering and angling the speakers towards MLP. Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't understand why you have them pointed towards the front of the room. Who is sitting up there?
This was just the way the room was designed. I don’t think I paid serious attention to the rear surrounds as this was my first ht setup. But I guess like raghu has said above, I’ll first try a toeing them in slightly. Thanks for the input.

The easiest way is to have a glass shelf of 12"x8" in size with 12" projecting out side and place surround speakers on shelf facing towards each other with MLP in-between else pull MLP 1.5 - 2' ahead and toe the speakers MLP. Triangular Dipole/Bipole speakers like Polk Fxi A4/A6 or Taga Harmony S-100 surround will do a fine job of creating wider surround field.

Thanks Rajesh for the input, I'm looking at the Polk fxi4 for surround. Let's see how it goes. Do u think the current position of speakers is high?

Since i also in a similar fix not running a separate thread. Can you guys please guide me a little as to how i should place my speakers. My bed is adjoing my couch. I may have a perfect setup for the left surround channel but the wall to right is quite far off..
I have 2 questions
1-- where should i place my speakers for optimum sound?
2-- i have heard that bipolars are a better choice as compared to mono. Wud bipolar be beneficial in my area.?

Thanks

Last edited:
@celester340 Any space for pulling up the couch say 3 feet from the rear wall? The listening position seems to be at the same level as the rear speakers because of that recess in the wall.

Uday, if I move the couch forward, it gets too close to the tv, so that's not happening unfortunately :(

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back