Understanding the inconsistencies regarding what's considered derogatory as per forum rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
... the majority of all this juvenile behaviour seems to happen mainly on the TV forum. Audio folks seem to be either too war scarred due to history to bother or its something else !
I noticed this too! I just visited some threads because I was curious to see what goes on there and i couldn't wait to get away fast enough. "Juvenile" is right! Give me cable threads any day!

• Haha
Reactions: arj
Imagine policing it especially when every 3rd person feels offended and sends out a report to mods ..and some of us dont even understand the technical discussion , forget the origin of the problem

I just hope we dont have people reporting any dog barking in neighbours balcony:p.

Hello! Was prompted to make a post here by some.

So I was told by staff that "SJW" is not a derogatory term as per forum rules for a report I made that was rejected even though the countless sources on Google/wiki say the opposite.

@captrajesh @Analogous @Love4sound @keith_correa @Nikhil :just random related people I trust that may help me understand & not just make this about me, an anon.

I've asked another staff, he asked me to reread the rules. It says you take rudeness very seriously & would ban in many cases.

So can a word like "bhakt", whose literal definition is also harmless like SJW, be allowed to call an FM in a belittling way even if the FM were trying not to provoke any inflammatory response? A simple yes/no would do. If yes, what's the point of the multiple rules talking about impolite behaviour? Unlike bhakt, SJW is only ever used in a belittling way.

The inconsistencies don't even end here:

Arj, a staff member, said SJW term was pejorative, not derogatory. But staff also told me that it was not derogatory which is why my report was rejected. But they both mean the same thing on multiple sites! Including my dictionary app that says it means "belittling" or "derogatory". It's listed as synonym on multiple sites. Which staff was right?

Tldr: So I make a report for a personal attack on me unprovoked which staff acknowledged was targetting me, but rejected stating it wasn't derogatory. But Arj states it was pejorative, but it means the same as derogatory which staff said was the reason for rejecting my report! So can I use similar words with harmless literal definitions like bhakt, etc against a polite FM trying to not provoke anybody?

If "bhakt" in a belittling context is allowed, but then since certain staff member made it clear that the numerous sources on Google isn't reliable, so how could anybody, as an educated adult, ever tell what's belittling and what's not?

Note: I would never insult anybody even if insults were allowed. Politics being a sensitive subject is the only reason why I made this thread after the contradictory responses bugged me. Let's also not involve whoever I reported, this is only about the contradictions.

Regards,
An SJW
Hi ME,
If it all comes down to SJW, I'd say it is not really a derogatory term.
Same with Bhakt. I don't see how it is a derogatory term. Even Chhaddi.
Same with Peacenik, Green, etc.
While all of these above words may slot a person, they are in no way derogatory. I'd guess the Mods, too, would agree on this.

So, if that is all it is down to, then there is nothing to discuss.

Of course, I have not read the original exchange, and dunno what all was said there. It would help your cause if you could share what exactly was said besides calling you a SJW. Screenshots would be helpful too.
Here are some useful rules should you want to re-appeal:

Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.

Hate, racist, foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

Posting irrelevant content not related to the topic under discussion and/or sarcastic comments and/or snide remarks, or any other content that can lead to derailment or disruption of the smooth flow of discussion will attract moderator action and can lead to your ban.

No personal attacks on any member will be entertained. This includes any direct/indirect attempt at trolling.

--

Having said that, I personally think the mods do a good job keeping sh*t together (what I did there is disallowed, btw) and the conversation flowing. They have been especially lenient with bumps. I guess they do this cos they understand a user may be just anxious to hear responses to doubts:
Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.

And finally, they do state this when signing up:
Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way. We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forums is a privilege and not a right.

So, whether we understand forum rules better or not actually does not matter.

Enjoy your time here and find what you want to understand, learn and carry on.

Just my two bits. Of course, you may not agree with anything above.
Regards

Last edited:
Posting irrelevant content not related to the topic under discussion and/or sarcastic comments and/or snide remarks, or any other content that can lead to derailment or disruption of the smooth flow of discussion will attract moderator action and can lead to your ban.
But an FM is seen doing this very frequently....and sometimes not so subtle ways.

Personally I have no issues to such engagement, as I tend to IGNORE to such. However in the beginning, one can get carried away.

What I can suggest to @MediaEnthusiast is this : DONT take anything deeply here. Just glance through for any interesting news/post. Give comments what you feel like on the topic....and any sign of trolling scram. It's not worth wasting time. Continue engaging IF there is respectable engagement (both the idea and interest).

I always feels humorous at cable threads/power conditioners.......but never felt the need to comment on any of them. :D

And some FM do make snide remarks (including staff members and older members) towards objective and measurements (I was surprised...and then became less surprised)

But some threads in this forum are a gem of Indian scene. And you cannot not fall in love with this. :D

So load mat le yaar.

What I can suggest to @MediaEnthusiast is this : DONT take anything deeply here. .
I've been called worse. Doesn't matter how I feel. I made this thread because I can and because this forum has multiple rules talking about insults. And because different staff had different interpretations. One says it was civilised counter, one says it's not derogatory and one says it's pejorative which is just a synonym for derogatory.
Hi ME,
If it all comes down to SJW, I'd say it is not really a derogatory term.
Same with Bhakt. I don't see how it is a derogatory term. Even Chhaddi.
Same with Peacenik, Green, etc.
While all of these above words may slot a person, they are in no way derogatory. I'd guess the Mods, too, would agree on this.

So, if that is all it is down to, then there is nothing to discuss.

Of course, I have not read the original exchange, and dunno what all was said there. It would help your cause if you could share what exactly was said besides calling you a SJW. Screenshots would be helpful too.
Here are some useful rules should you want to re-appeal:

Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.

Hate, racist, foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

No personal attacks on any member will be entertained. This includes any direct/indirect attempt at trolling.

--

Having said that, I personally think the mods do a good job keeping sh*t together (what I did there is disallowed, btw) and the conversation flowing. They have been especially lenient with bumps. I guess they do this cos they understand a user may be just anxious to hear responses to doubts:
Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.

And finally, they do state this when signing up:
Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way. We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forums is a privilege and not a right.

So, whether we understand forum rules better or not actually does not matter.

Enjoy your time here and find what you want to understand, learn and carry on.

Just my two bits. Of course, you may not agree with anything above.
Regards
It doesn't matter how you or I feel. One mod says it was while a different one says it's not. People get banned on this forum & different mods having different interpretations is a problem.

If they're not derogatory, then mods should just say that people are allowed to use words like sjw and bhakt against polite FMs trying not to be provocative, simple. A fellow FM also comments bhakt is a derogatory term and that mods will likely take action against me if I use the word bhakt, you see how confused I must be?

Dear MediaEnthusiast,

You seem to have a lot of passion towards this comment made by a FM, which is in a lounge section, in essence an informal section of the forum. You have spent almost half your 35 or so posts on a subject which adds not much value to this forum.

IMO, this forum in the last few years has become far too tetchy and even the Mods end up being a bit more trigger happy but I have also seen all out wars with much harsher words being used in the past.

People dont get banned for a single infraction, unless its very serious. They do get suspended and on repeat get banned. But I am not sure why you are getting worried about being banned when you have not made any negative statement.

Offlate, non hifi related topics are getting so much traffic and replies that topics like this should be assigned to a sub-forum titled 'hificonfusion'

Words like the ones in the current agenda are conctextual and often left to an individual's interpretation so vagaries are to be expected.

I do understand the OPs @MediaEnthusiast concern about the so called double standards that he appears to purport and hence this thread I presume, but his subsequent posts do make us infer that he feels he has been disdained by the mods.

There have been worser scenarios and the moderators are also humans striving to string the chords and there are bound to be disaggreements and censures here and there.

Some of my posts have also been deleted, but there is no point to take these things personaly or feel offended. Be happy that there was an opportunity to post a view and just move on.

Offlate, non hifi related topics are getting so much traffic and replies that topics like this should be assigned to a sub-forum titled 'hificonfusion'

Words like the ones in the current agenda are conctextual and often left to an individual's interpretation so vagaries are to be expected.

I do understand the OPs @MediaEnthusiast concern about the so called double standards that he appears to purport and hence this thread I presume, but his subsequent posts do make us infer that he feels he has been disdained by the mods.

There have been worser scenarios and the moderators are also humans striving to string the chords and there are bound to be disaggreements and censures here and there.

Some of my posts have also been deleted, but there is no point to take these things personaly or feel offended. Be happy that there was an opportunity to post a view and just move on.
My subsequent posts are literally repeating the same thing I said in OP. I have made it clear from the beginning not to make this about me nor the person I reported even though nobody listens. Maybe me trying to steer people away from making this about me makes you feel that way?

The mods are indeed humans, that's why I asked a simple counterquestion with a yes/no answer so they don't waste their time. I'm not entitled to, they're free to ignore. It's a private forum anyway.

Dear mods can we have separate latest posts sections for hifi and nonhifi topics. That would be helpful. I guess no one visits the forum to get a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back