Unsatisfied my Audio System

S. Basu

Dear Friend,

After lot of research for my home audio at last my bought integrated stereo amplifier PM 5004 and Bookshelf speaker Focal chorus 706 from kolkata at ACE acoustics. When i visit the store i was very satisfied with amazing sound quality of this product. I bought it special discount of 50k. But after installed the same to my room I am very depressed with my system. I didn't get the 50% sound quality which i get at store after burning my speaker after 90 hours. Now my friendz telling that Focal 706 not a good speaker. Kindly suggest me what should i do?

-> Was it with the same electronics during your audition ?
-> What it is that you don't like now compared to your audition in the showroom

Quality sound depends on lot of factors. It is not sufficient and fair to just buy good amplifier and speakers and expect miracles from them without doing certain things right.

Where did you place the speakers? Invest in stands if not already, your 50% problem will be solved. This is practically tested by one of my friend recently (same amp PM5004).
He bought the stands from FM Magma and there was huge difference in sound quality.

What is your source? Flac, WAV, CD, MP3 (Among these MP3 is least preferable)

What is your transport? CD player, Dvd player, PC, Phone (Phone sounded worst in my friends case)

What kind of wires and interconnect did you use? I am not going into argument of expensive vs budget wires but you need at least some decent cables (DAC or MX may be)

You auditioned with the same set in the showroom and was happy with it then how come your speakers are not good enough.

Try to address these and you will be set.

Cheers

The 5004 may be a tad underpowered for the 706. I have a pair of 706s. Pretty decent speakers for the money.

90 DB Sensitivity and 25W -125W range hence should not be a problem. Main reason for the system sounding good during audition could be:

Quality Transport: High end CD player or PC with high end DAC
Quality stands
Acoustically treated room

Dear Friend,

After lot of research for my home audio at last my bought integrated stereo amplifier PM 5004 and Bookshelf speaker Focal chorus 706 from kolkata at ACE acoustics. When i visit the store i was very satisfied with amazing sound quality of this product. I bought it special discount of 50k. But after installed the same to my room I am very depressed with my system. I didn't get the 50% sound quality which i get at store after burning my speaker after 90 hours. Now my friendz telling that Focal 706 not a good speaker. Kindly suggest me what should i do?

sir ur room is the culprit i think ..... get in touch with local fellow members who could visit ur place and guide u

Did you check the speaker connections? Make sure you have correct polarities (+ - ) and you can also try to move the location/placement of system (another room? different side?)

What is the source for your music ?
Look at speaker connections and play around with speaker placements. You ll be surprised what correct speaker placement does to sound quality. I would also suggest good quality media like flac or wav.
You could also take your amp to the shop where you auditioned the speakers and have a demo again with your amp connected to the shop speakers to see how they sound.

Where do you live in Kolkata?
What's your room size?
Where have you placed your speakers? On stand or on top of a furniture?
What is your source?
Are you experienced enough to understand speakers' polarity and connect them properly?

Amplifier & speaker will throw whatever is being fed with addition of mild coloration in case of low to mid end systems, so just give the complete description of your system, room size, windows, power fluctuation, outer noise etc.The sq is a integral approach of considering in account every factor & then an opinion can be framed upon system.

By the way i noticed , all this posts- 2nd,3rd,4th & 5th post are 7 mins apart. :)

Dear Friend,

S.Basu, since you bought what you ehard there are oy 2 things which changed

1. as many have asked, are you using a CDplayer /mp3 player ? if so is it the same that you heard at the shop..it has a profound impact

2. Room has an impact but not at the expense of musicality unless you are placing them too near the wall, on a soft base and not placed at ear level and not placed in correctly toed in (all of the above !)

3. Cables etc etc are the last thing you should worry about..actually not worry about at all.

also do remember that speakers and amps take time breaking in..they start showing the true sound only after 30 hours of play. so if your source is right please wait for that time. (ideally reverse the phase of one speaker, keep them face to face and play them over 24 hours...the sound cancels and you will not hear anything till then

Hi,

My Room size is 10*11, I place my speaker 8 ft from the floor due to non position to place the speaker at accurate position. Further I am using Philips DVD player and I played generally MP3 and Audio CD.

Kindly inform me Focal 706V and Marantz PM 5004 is good combination? and both of product is good?

Quality sound depends on lot of factors. It is not sufficient and fair to just buy good amplifier and speakers and expect miracles from them without doing certain things right.

Where did you place the speakers? Invest in stands if not already, your 50% problem will be solved. This is practically tested by one of my friend recently (same amp PM5004).
He bought the stands from FM Magma and there was huge difference in sound quality.

What is your source? Flac, WAV, CD, MP3 (Among these MP3 is least preferable)

What is your transport? CD player, Dvd player, PC, Phone (Phone sounded worst in my friends case)

What kind of wires and interconnect did you use? I am not going into argument of expensive vs budget wires but you need at least some decent cables (DAC or MX may be)

You auditioned with the same set in the showroom and was happy with it then how come your speakers are not good enough.

Try to address these and you will be set.

Cheers

Sir,

my Room size 10*11 I place my speaker 8 ft from the floor bcoz due to non placing area to my room. I am using Philips DVD Player generally I played gd quality of MP3 as well as Audio CD. I am using MX cable and MX RCA cable. But my friend also use the same sate of Focal & Marantz with CD player CD 5004 and place the speaker in ear level. But still not satisfied with sound. Tell me one thing is Focal 706V not good speaker or Marantz PM 5004 not high level amplifier?

Sir,

my Room size 10*11 I place my speaker 8 ft from the floor bcoz due to non placing area to my room. I am using Philips DVD Player generally I played gd quality of MP3 as well as Audio CD. I am using MX cable and MX RCA cable. But my friend also use the same sate of Focal & Marantz with CD player CD 5004 and place the speaker in ear level. But still not satisfied with sound. Tell me one thing is Focal 706V not good speaker or Marantz PM 5004 not high level amplifier?

8 ft is quite high for a speaker placement. Looking into the speaker spec it has an impedance of 8 ohm and power rating of 120watt. And your amp will give you 35 watt for a 8 ohm impedance. Can you please connect your speaker with a more powerfull AVR or amp? Also how do you connect your amp to your DVD player?

You will not get acceptable sound with speakers at 8 feet height. The tweeters must ideally be at the height of the ear of listener.

Secondly, if your speakers are book shelf speakers, it is best to place them on their own dedicated stands which must be sturdy, rigid and damped with sand filling. In most rooms, the speakers work best when fired along the longer length of the room dimension. Give the speakers some room behind them (at least one feet from the back baffle of the speakers - but two to three feet is much better), and also give them at least one feet space to the side walls.

Your speakers and your listening position must form an equilateral triangle. Experiment with toe in of the speakers to get good imaging and depth.

Buying an amp and speaker is just the beginning of the musical experience. You NEED to give it room and also take the time to set it up correctly. Once you do that and have optimised it to the best possible for the room, you yourself will be able to tell whether the components are good enough.

Your room is probably a difficult room as it is almost a square, but try playing with placement and you should get good sound.

Last edited:
@jls001 has outlined in a very liquid way about the proper position of the speakers.

Apart from that, the weakest hardware part of your set up appears to be the Philips DVD player.

Since you are comparing the sound output of similar Amp+Speaker setup with Marantz CD 5004 vis-a-vis Philips DVD player, hence the disappointment is understandable.

I use a PM5004+Wharfe Bookself combo and importance of source is tremendous in the final output.

As they say, in case of amp - its garbage in and garbage out.

P.S. You may like to edit the thread title (Meaning of present title can be interpreted in a naughty way :)

More than room the biggest culprit is source - here it is DVD player . also the type of music Mp3
also have you checked plarity ( + ve and - ve ) of speaker cables?

@Mr. Basu,
If you stay close to Purna Das Road, ask the dealer to visit your place, and they will help you do the necessary tweaking. You can also seek help from forum members from Kolkata. I would say, keeping your BS speakers 8' above the floor is way above the recommended level, which is 3.5' to 4.0'

reading the above it must be clear..you do have 2 issues.
1. placement. enough info above and
2. Source a DVDP will never give you a good sound to do your amp+speaker justice do you remember the source which was used in the dealer room ?

I would rate 2>1 although both are crucial as with most DVDps even good placement will not do you much good.

Sir,

You are lucky to have so many people around suggesting you to improve on sound. It is hard to believe that stands, source and placement can affect the sound so much but once you do it, you will be amazed by the difference.
Another FM has already answered that these are very good speakers. Marantz PM5004 is a very good entry level amp in a budget and 35-40 W is good enough for most of us. I am using it, my friend is using it and very happy with it. Initially, he was disappointed big time, he placed it on the floor in a wood plate slightly elevated from floor. On my advice he very hesitantly ordered the most basic budget stands from FM Magma and now he is very happy with his set up.

There is no point cribbing about amp and speakers without giving them proper environment.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back