Unskilled labourer to wire my height channels - ok or not ok?

Donivlapog

Hi all,

As you might know I recently bought a preowned 2700h denon and have hooked it so far to a 3.2 set up. The surrounds and heights speakers are there with me but due to wiring requirements have just waited for a HT installation electrician, a skilled labourer in this field to do it. However since 31st of March, the skilled electrician has not come and has been postponing. I am considering a local unskilled electrician (Jack of all trades guy) to just help me with concealed wiring.

My HT consultant would help me in speaker positioning and a comprehensive calibration however the wiring has to be done at my end. I have a friend with whom I have done a few DIYs like TV wall mounting etc... can I have it done using his help? Wall pattys for concealed wiring is something I can get from a nearby store, going for a walk, drilling machine which I already have and the cable which I have in excess myself - what else am I missing? or is it better to call the skilled guy who has not so far turned up and has had me ranting over unfinished job?

Should be fine. Check out youtube videos for dos and donts. Buy good quality wire. Use a wire conduit (patty is confusing esp. as its similar to wall putty) and use a curtain wire puller, if needed. Do ensure that the conduit is thick enough to manage multiple wires in case you want to combine the runs.

Should be fine .. Just make sure you have good quality wires and Polarity is not mismatched. (+ve and -ve). Most wires coming up with color code - so it will be easy to connect . Just do a round of testing on speakers before you let electrician leave :).

You can do everything on your own, you have the hardware required and a friend to help.

I have done all of my speaker AV work on my own, including drilling, mounting, rewiring etc.

If you or your friend is good with tools, you wouldn't need anyone. Calibration can be done though the audyssey app itself.

DIY and enjoy the work 😀
I am having a bit of sudden work load. For drilling I have the bosch 10RE and Bosch 450 but both are not supposed to drill walls my friend says. We still end up using it. Phew.... gotta get back to work. Thanks guys

I am having a bit of sudden work load. For drilling I have the bosch 10RE and Bosch 450 but both are not supposed to drill walls my friend says. We still end up using it. Phew.... gotta get back to work. Thanks guys
Do you have to drill if you use the PVC trunking? I have been always using Scotch double side tape for all my wiring - power or others in our rented houses in Abu Dhabi. Have been taking the trunkings with me when moving houses too. If you use heavy duty tape, leave the trunking for a day before loading it sticks for ever.

Both the drill machines are impact drills. They can drill walls with the right bit and mode.

Do you have to drill if you use the PVC trunking? I have been always using Scotch double side tape for all my wiring - power or others in our rented houses in Abu Dhabi. Have been taking the trunkings with me when moving houses too. If you use heavy duty tape, leave the trunking for a day before loading it sticks for ever.

Both the drill machines are impact drills. They can drill walls with the right bit and mode.
Double type tapes can handle a calender or a few keys. This would be messy. Here we have to have the small screws put through plastic rocket shapped sockets. We took 3 hours to have it done. "Scotch double malt" is all I need 😍

Double type tapes can handle a calender or a few keys. This would be messy. Here we have to have the small screws put through plastic rocket shapped sockets. We took 3 hours to have it done. "Scotch double malt" is all I need 😍
Not really. Good quality 3M Scotch / Bison tapes have held my trunkings, extension boards with plugs hanging on them etc. for years. When removing them while shifting houses they have removed the wall paint but trunkings never fell down.

In fact, many good brand trunkings come with double side tape on them.

You have to choose tapes of sufficient "grip" from reputed brands like 3M Scotch / Bison / Gorilla / Pattex etc. and use in sufficient lengths. They have different capacity per specific length (like 1lb per 4inch or kg/cm) usually mentioned on them and the application for which it is made. If you use "picture" tapes they cannot mount heavier stuff. There is a myriad of tapes and have to choose properly.

I have had success hanging heavy things using hot glue and hooks. No more nails or screws.

With screw mounting they have to be screwed on both sides of the trunking if wider than 1 inch. If the screws are only in the center of the trunking it will sag / bend with a gap on the sides when installed on walls and these gaps will collect dirt, house spiders, insects (for lizards to feast upon) etc. Fill them with silicone or gypsum / white cement. Or they will not remain flush on the wall.

Conduits are messy to draw wires through them. You also need pull boxes if longer lengths or bends are involved else can cut the wires while pulling. If rubber coated wires are used they would need a lot of sweat to pull them due to the friction. A little silicone grease or our beloved Dalda will do the trick. No automotive grease - can eat through the insulation over time.

Make sure you don't drill through existing electrical conduits inside the wall.

Just my 2 cents (paise :cool: ) from experience in working in electrical installations.

We huffed and puffed and finished it. In some places we used an existing led tubelight to balance a wire (in one stretch alone). At the amp's end where there are a sangam of many wires, we had to use a bigger patty. The speakers get about a feet of wire tailed out from the patty at certain exit points and overall a 70% level finishing perfection to what the professional hands would have done. I am having a slight hip ache. As in a couple of places I did not get ergonomic positioning and had to do it in a twisted angle. The speakers will be paired after I get the wall mounts for them.

We huffed and puffed and finished it. In some places we used an existing led tubelight to balance a wire (in one stretch alone). At the amp's end where there are a sangam of many wires, we had to use a bigger patty. The speakers get about a feet of wire tailed out from the patty at certain exit points and overall a 70% level finishing perfection to what the professional hands would have done. I am having a slight hip ache. As in a couple of places I did not get ergonomic positioning and had to do it in a twisted angle. The speakers will be paired after I get the wall mounts for them.
I would not run the speaker wires on a LED tubelight.
  • EMI from the LED drivers into the audio due to proximity of the wires
  • Good to keep an inch at least from a mains powered device. Should there be a spark there it shouldn't affect the speakers.
Maybe wrap that part with aluminium foil (kitchen foil) or (if you have access to) a piece of copper / aluminium shield used on control cables and connect it to ground if possible.

I have been always using Scotch double side tape for all my wiring - power or others in our rented houses in Abu Dhabi. Have been taking the trunkings with me when moving houses too. If you use heavy duty tape, leave the trunking for a day before loading it sticks for ever.
Sir, sounds like a good idea.
Could you share some pix/links?
On the same boat as Vinod.
Regards

We huffed and puffed and finished it. In some places we used an existing led tubelight to balance a wire (in one stretch alone). At the amp's end where there are a sangam of many wires, we had to use a bigger patty. The speakers get about a feet of wire tailed out from the patty at certain exit points and overall a 70% level finishing perfection to what the professional hands would have done.
Pictures please!

I am having a slight hip ache.
:DDD

Sir, sounds like a good idea.
Could you share some pix/links?
On the same boat as Vinod.
Regards
Here they are

IMG_20220407_060237_hdr.jpg
For a fan wiring - vertical

IMG_20220407_063807.jpg
Lighting wires -

IMG_20220407_063840MP.jpg

Lighting plugs on extension unit

IMG_20220407_063915.jpg

Main distribution on TV Unit

IMG_20220407_063851MP.jpg
The Audio power socket.

The above ones have lasted 4 years now. In my previous house I used to have even more and larger size trunkings (25mm and 40mm) running everywhere as there were not many power sockets. We were in that house for 7 years. Nothing fell down.

Here they are

View attachment 68550
For a fan wiring - vertical

View attachment 68551
Lighting wires -

View attachment 68552

Lighting plugs on extension unit

View attachment 68553

Main distribution on TV Unit

View attachment 68554
The Audio power socket.

The above ones have lasted 4 years now. In my previous house I used to have even more and larger size trunkings (25mm and 40mm) running everywhere as there were not many power sockets. We were in that house for 7 years. Nothing fell down.
Understood, sir. Good idea. Tks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back