Upcoming Indian Vinyl LP Record Releases

@toolazytowrite: Clearaudio Concept (MM or MC) is a very good entry level turntable. I use this table and am very happy with its performance. This is especially good for folks who are either not knowledgeable on setting up turntables or just don't want to go through that trouble.

@karthikswaminath: How do you find the quality of the old vinyls? I was in Calcutta recently and looked at a few old vinyls, mint copies. The price of these mint copies are exorbitant, at least to me... I spoke to Sony DADC folks about their new vinyls. All of them are made out of digital masters (may be 96*24 fidelity but I am not sure) supplied by Saregama. I bought a few high-resolution old bollywood songs from Saregama site and I was not impressed. So the quality of these new vinyls is always going to be a hit or miss and I would buy them only after hearing/reading some reviews on them.
BTW does anyone on this forum know if the quality of the new 1942 a Love Story released by Sony DADC is same as its predecessor released by Saregama? I heard folks saying that the new Sony DADC release is quite inferior compared to its previous version. But like anything in audio its hard to believe these comments w/o actually verifying it. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes, I have added weights on the headshell, as well as sub-weight on the other end of the arm. I also need the sub-weight for the rather heavy DL-102 too.

smedhavi, Instead of adding weight, better to use a 16 gram magnesium headshell. Did you try that? May I know what SUT & phono stage you are using for MC cartridge? Thanks.
Sunder

@toolazytowrite: Clearaudio Concept (MM or MC) is a very good entry level turntable. I use this table and am very happy with its performance. This is especially good for folks who are either not knowledgeable on setting up turntables or just don't want to go through that trouble.

@karthikswaminath: How do you find the quality of the old vinyls? I was in Calcutta recently and looked at a few old vinyls, mint copies. The price of these mint copies are exorbitant, at least to me... I spoke to Sony DADC folks about their new vinyls. All of them are made out of digital masters (may be 96*24 fidelity but I am not sure) supplied by Saregama. I bought a few high-resolution old bollywood songs from Saregama site and I was not impressed. So the quality of these new vinyls is always going to be a hit or miss and I would buy them only after hearing/reading some reviews on them.
BTW does anyone on this forum know if the quality of the new 1942 a Love Story released by Sony DADC is same as its predecessor released by Saregama? I heard folks saying that the new Sony DADC release is quite inferior compared to its previous version. But like anything in audio its hard to believe these comments w/o actually verifying it. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Indeed, the price of new vinyls is exorbitant. I did purchase a couple of them though. I am on hunt for used vinyls if they are in good condition which is hard to find. The pressings of some English vinyls i picked up in Shanghai are awesome.

@karthikswaminath- Good to know that you bought some Sony DADC new LP records. What albums did you buy? Please let us have your feedback on the sound quality of these records. When I looked at the old/used Bollywood LP records (mint copies)a couple of weeks back in Cal I found them to be astronomically expensive in the the rage of Rs 3000.00 to Rs 6000.00. I bought a couple of them to see if its worth to spend a fortune to buy. I would provide my feedback shortly.

+1 Vinoth. I ordered the movie Priya myself. Great to see inreco investing in Vinyl. They also have Johny and other soundtracks, hope they will release them also. Price is just 400 that is good. Hope it is good, waiting for delivery.

Priya is 45 rpm record with only 2 tracks - Sreeramanin sreedeviye and Eh Padal ondru. Sound quality was good but they could have mentioned it is not an LP and these are the only 2 tracks. That was disappointing when it arrived. I had a hunch though for 400 this is what you may get. Hope it scales up and prices go down soon. Vinyl is picking up again.

For viny records to make a good comeback, the pricing should be appropriate and not overpriced, but all records are overpriced. MRP should not exceed INR 800/-, 600 to 700 is ideal.

The masters for the new pressings is remastered for records, there is no doubt about it, as music mastered for cd cannot be just transferred to the master for records and obtain the new record pressings. If one compares the same music on both cd and vinyl, one can find a clear difference in their dynamic levels and records sound more gentler than digital/cd.

But the remasterings have not been done properly in some cases. I recently purchased Sajda and Baton Baton Mein. In Sajda , Disc 2 the first track of either side 1 or 2, I don't remember exactly, but solo, sung by Jagjit Singh has a problem. The word tere has become ter at one point. In Baton Baton Mein, the first track of side A, also has a problem. At one point the volume level drops suddenly.

The lp jackets for the 180 gram new releases, are not of proper size, and the jackets start to rip off at the joints very soon.

I agree that music that has been kept in purely analog medium starting from the recording microphone to the reproduction speaker at the listener's end, is much more better than that which has digital touches. But there is no other option. We can listen to the old songs because their masters had been transferred to the digital media some decade(s) back. New music will also be recorded to digital media, one just can't ignore it. But the mastering will be done for records and not for digital medias, which in itself is a big advantage, no more loudness war. Again reproduction from records will be more towards pure sine wave than the stepped sine waves from digital. Also, maybe track recording will reduce in the future and musicians will sit together again, during recording proceedures, which will also ensure that the track has a soul.

BTW does anyone on this forum know if the quality of the new 1942 a Love Story released by Sony DADC is same as its predecessor released by Saregama?
Might be a late reply, still!! I bought 1942 a Love Story new record and not at all happy with the sound quality. Awaaz dabi dabi si hai. I have heard the same songs better in FM. The record is from Sony DADC but it has Saregama logo as well. Hope you were referring to the same.

Might be a late reply, still!! I bought 1942 a Love Story new record and not at all happy with the sound quality. Awaaz dabi dabi si hai. I have heard the same songs better in FM. The record is from Sony DADC but it has Saregama logo as well. Hope you were referring to the same.
@mjo: Thanks. Yes it is the same vinyl that I was talking about. I did buy it and found the sound to be on the brighter side and it is very similar to the CD of the same album. The 2nd song on side A "Pyar Hua Chupke Se" did sound very compressed. I think it was recorded poorly because it sounded very similar on the CD and also on youtube. What a shame... After buying 10+ new rerelease albums I have decided not to spend any money on these albums till the recording/mastering quality improves, if that happens.
@vinyl: The real issue with the new re released Bollywood albums is the lack of analog master and not the price. It is so unfortunate that Bollywood folks did not pay any attention towards preserving the master tapes of old albums such that Sony or any other company could use it for the mastering of the new reissued albums. What they get is a moderate to poorly recoded CD to master the new reissues. With this the final quality of the reissued vinyl albums could be anything but vinyl sounding regardless of its price.
Thanks

"Saagar" vinyl is coming soon. Just got the vinyl art from friend circle.
Is it a Saregama release?
Already on pre-order on ngh.co.in but label not mentioned. https://ngh.co.in/pre-orders/hindi-pre-order
Some other upcoming vinyl also seen on the link.

ngh.co.in has lot of the new releases on discount starting from Rs 799. Probably they did not sell at the MRP ;)
https://ngh.co.in/new-released-vinyl-records/hindi?sort=p.price&order=ASC
Do check this and other threads for reports on quality.
Going by forum reviews, I picked up Dosti and Abhimaan new releases for Rs 799 each from Amazon in August.
I am sure there will be discounted prices again in Nov/Dec.

Sagar ,Shan,Sholey all Sippy productions are Polydor releaes and hence not available with Saregama which is a HMV company.
I find previous Universal Record quality better than Saregama.So Sagar will be a promising Vinyl.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back