Upcoming Indian Vinyl LP Record Releases

Received Taal & Parineeta yesterday. Taal was OK. May be I was expecting too much from it. Parineeta is really good, one of the best new pressings for a Bollywood film. Chithra singing 'Raat Hamari' is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

parineeta-500x500.jpg

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Just Received Rangeela and hence started listening to it.The lp sounds sweeter than cd.
I have listened "hi raama" cd,vinyl again cd and again vinyl.
I will prefer vinyl.
I will purchase "pardes" also.
Surprisingly sound stage for lp is better than cd.
Bass is articulate and not overwhelming.
My sub is comfortable with it.
Highes are silky and not harsh.

Today I listened to disc one from a two disc special edition vinyl released by tips and sony.
Excellent.
Somebody on forum actually remarked negatively about this lp.
I will request him to listen this lp again at around 20 to 30 percent of the volume on decent equipment.
My equipment for listening this record was
Technics sl-1600 with at440mlb,virens tube phonopreamp to jvc preamp to parasound a21 to cadence arista.
And yes I do use subwoofer with stereo setup unlike many.
The lp is dead silent.All subtle instruments could be heard and my ears registered about 25 %more information than the cd.
So again vinyl wins.

Yes ,sorry ,forgot to mention the name of the album.It must be my age.Its indeed "Taal" and not the "khalnayak"which I am going to listen today.

Today I listened to disc one from a two disc special edition vinyl released by tips and sony.
Excellent.
Somebody on forum actually remarked negatively about this lp.
I will request him to listen this lp again at around 20 to 30 percent of the volume on decent equipment.
My equipment for listening this record was
Technics sl-1600 with at440mlb,virens tube phonopreamp to jvc preamp to parasound a21 to cadence arista.
And yes I do use subwoofer with stereo setup unlike many.
The lp is dead silent.All subtle instruments could be heard and my ears registered about 25 %more information than the cd.
So again vinyl wins.
I think you are referring to my comment above saying "Taal was OK". That is how I still see it. It does not lack bass or treble. It is the voices that lack the body and texture expected from a vinyl release. Both Taal and Parneeta had reasonably good CD releases. Taal vinyl sounds quite similar to the CD version.
By the way, I am surprised that you need a subwoofer for music with the Cadence Arista. The Arista went down quite well to 40Hz, though the electrostatic panel looses its life over the years.

Regards,
Sharad

My 2 cents on the experience that I had with these new Vinyl Releases.

To start with after the famous Veerzara release in Vinyl by Yashraj the music companies took a note of the interest that music lovers showed to acquire this piece. Infact the 1st pressing of Veerzara which was a limited pressing and not open for sale outshines the 2nd pressing though both are good. Then the journey of Vinyl release started with Jhooth Bole Kawa Kate.

Ridding on the gimmick of 180gsm Vinyl, all the music houses tried to encash on this quality and woo the music lovers without giving adequate attention towards the source and pressing. Both were compromised in most of the releases.Less said about the artwork in the covers (of the re releases in particular) is better. And we are running behind these CRAP paying through our nose thinking well here we get a Mint clean brand new vinyl which is hard to find nowadays. Little we realise that even with the best audio setup in town we are only fooling ourselves by saying what quality man,what output,what balance!! My verdict is BULL SHIT! And this opinion of mine is strictly restricted to the Retro ones which are mostly re-release.

Now the new films or the 90s pressings. Tell me one thing when we have such brilliant digital recording in the CDs of these films why do we need to pay 1700/- to own a vinyl and listen to the same digital in a vinyl? Does it make sense? A digital will remain digital how good one might convert it to analog as the mother itself has the digital attributes in it. So where from the warmth,low frequencies,detailing comes God only knows! I would rather prefer paying for a Imported Melody CD and listen to the songs of this era and even some of the Indian CDs also are very good.

The outcome is due to this surge in new pressings the original analogue pressing Vinyls of the 60s,70s,80s prices have shot up and hit the roof. Vendors are saying you are ready to pay 1500/- for a new pressing whereas for an original analogue press you are negotiating for even 1000/-!! And thats how prices have gone up in the last few years.

Yes I would have put my hand up and supported saregama,sony dadc and others if what they are releasing are good enough,but that is not the case for most, and there where we are getting carried away without either understanding what the truth is or misleading others. These views are strictly mine only.

Jay, you are largely right in your assessment.
The Veer Zaara LPs were good as it was also released in DVD-A format. So they actually had an LPCM 96Khz/24bit master to begin with.

I think you are referring to my comment above saying "Taal was OK". That is how I still see it. It does not lack bass or treble. It is the voices that lack the body and texture expected from a vinyl release. Both Taal and Parneeta had reasonably good CD releases. Taal vinyl sounds quite similar to the CD version.
By the way, I am surprised that you need a subwoofer for music with the Cadence Arista. The Arista went down quite well to 40Hz, though the electrostatic panel looses its life over the years.

Regards,
Sharad
Electrostatic panels are changed.
Subwoofer brings in more lows.
Compare a to b,that is vinyl track with cd track and one will understand the difference between these formats.
I failed to understand,then why some people enjoy melody cds to indian cds.If digital is equal to digital.
I know few people who like analog recording done on nakamichi of a cd.

My 2 cents on the experience that I had with these new Vinyl Releases.

Vendors are saying you are ready to pay 1500/- for a new pressing whereas for an original analogue press you are negotiating for even 1000/-!! And thats how prices have gone up in the last few years.

Yes . I agree that all vendors (only) having the original pressing quoting the price keeping in mind of the new pressings.

Just Received Rangeela and hence started listening to it.The lp sounds sweeter than cd.
I have listened "hi raama" cd,vinyl again cd and again vinyl.
I will prefer vinyl.
I will purchase "pardes" also.
Surprisingly sound stage for lp is better than cd.
Bass is articulate and not overwhelming.
My sub is comfortable with it.
Highes are silky and not harsh.

How about Raaz’s SQ. Planning to get one

Today I got Parineeta, Gupt and rangeela.

Parineeta is just ok, but Gupt and Rangeela crap. From now on I will not buy anything that TIPS in involved, all their cassettes release earlier was had crap SQ.

Total waste of money.

hope QSQT will be better, that is all time favorite album

Parineeta sounds really good. Gupt and Rangeela also sound very good in my system. Much much better than the cds

May be better then CDs but I never used CD, did not find need when I stream via TIDAL + ROON.
With Vinyl, I expect bolder and fuller sound but these LP's are more or less flat.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back