Upgrade to 5.1 HT - within 2.5 lakhs

Hi guys,

I purchased the NAD t757 receiver after all the delibrations and discussions. I have also paid an advance for the Tannoy speakers, they are presently out of stock but I am told should arrive in about a month. I am planning to get the SVS pb1000 sub when the stocks come. Until then I will be using the NAD receiver in a stereo setup with my 2 Monitor BX2 speakers.

I am happy to say I am pleased with the NAD receiver in the stereo mode. I played several tracks connecting it to my BX2 speakers, and I could compare it my Yamaha AS500 stereo. I played the tracks on both amps switching the amps track-to-track. The NAD AV receiver is indeed very comparable to the Yamaha Stereo amp.

The sound signature is ofcourse a little different but not a whole lot. A few tracks sounded better on the NAD and a few on the Yamaha.

The NAD has a sharper and taut bass, while the Yamaha has a more "smoother" bass. The NAD has the mid-range a little subdued, and the Yamaha is a little more liberal with the mid range. The upper mid range and treble areas are very similar. Specifically for the MA Bronze speakers the NAD is a better match since MA Bronze is a little louder in the upper bass and lower mids.

Both are very detailed and strong amps, and if I was to choose between 2 stereo amps with these 2 sound signatures, I'd have a hard time.

This is what I was hoping to achieve when going with the NAD and it's "Music First" philosophy: an AV receiver that works great even as a Stereo Amp for music. I've had to compromise on a few features I was looking for like Airplay, dlna and cool On-screen displays, but I hope the SQ makes up for it.

Given my low listening levels, and inability to test a pre-pro with power amp. I did not go for separates this time. Perhaps I may do this down the line in a few years for my new house.

Thanks for all the tips and guidance, it was very useful in making an informed purchase decision. I will post again once I have my new speakers and the Sub setup in a full 5.1 config.

Congrats on your purchase ...
You have taken the right decision for the subwoofer as well. The only unfortunate thing is that even PB1000 might cost higher this time due to the INR value going down.

Congrats for the purchase. I am sure you are going to enjoy. I understand its quite difficult to buy stuff which you cannot audition. Nevertheless it's a great buy. Look at PB12 NSD if possible. Just a few grands more but a good step up from PB1000.

Thanks Santy. Will try to compare them, as the dealer has stock of the PB12nsd in demo and I just may get it for the same price as a new PB1000.

I trust you have heard them both. Is it the power, the punch or the SQ that's superior?

Thanks Santy. Will try to compare them, as the dealer has stock of the PB12nsd in demo and I just may get it for the same price as a new PB1000.

I trust you have heard them both. Is it the power, the punch or the SQ that's superior?

Everything. Driver size, Power, Punch, SQ, Extension, SPL and everything you know of a subwoofer.

Hi Folks

I have received my NAD Receiver (T757) and my Tannoy speakers (DC6TSE Towers and Center). I am delighted with the resulting sound. :thumbsup:

I would like to thank you guys for all your inputs, which enabled an informed purchase. :cheers:

Here are some pix of my setup:
acuity-albums-acuity-av-photos-picture556-ht-tannoy-dc6tse.jpg

acuity-albums-acuity-av-photos-picture555-tannoy-dc6tse.jpg

acuity-albums-acuity-av-photos-picture554-nad-tannoy-center.jpg

Receiver Experience: The NAD is a powerful receiver producing a very clean sound. I compared the NAD Receiver with my Yamaha AS 500 Amp just to see if a Receiver could beat a stereo Amp for music playback, and I'm happy to report the NAD receiver was better than the Yamaha Amp for music playback. Although by just a small bit.

I was in a big dilemma whether to go for a high end feature rich amp like Yamaha's Aventage 2020. Based on recommendations for NAD here, I dropped that Amp. I do miss the features that come with such an amp. But I am hoping the SQ in the NAD is much better, although it is so low on features. I've added an Apple TV so atleast I have Airplay now.

Speaker Experience:, the Tannoys are awesome. They have this amazing quality that makes the sound engulf you, and the music becomes very absorbing. This is something I experienced in only a few other speakers and that too only in small measures. The Tannoys produce deep and refined bass, warm mids and great highs. The bass is great and certainly sufficient for most genres of music, its however not Punchy or Powerful. And it certainly needs the help of a Sub when playing action movies.

I am still waiting for a new sub. I'm also waiting to hook up my surrounds. With these two things done I will have a 5.1 setup and I think my system will be complete.

For the surrounds I'm planning to use my old Monitor BX2 speakers, I am facing a challenge on wall-mounting them. Any advise on how to wall mount Monitor BX2 would be appreciated.

Certainly NAD receivers are exceptions in the traditional AV receivers world. In my experience, it has most of the qualities of an integrated amp. "composure" and "dynamics" are the strengths of this receiver. Also, did you try Bi-amping in your setup ? If not, see if that can help (epecially for your towers).

Regarding the sub, you mentioned that you are going with SVS. So are you still sticking with SVS ?

Congrats. Its a wise purchase. I know how much you are enjoying now.
BTW, the centre seems to be small, is there no option of bigger size?

@Acuity... Congratulations on your purchase.
Thanks a lot for sharing the photographs. That's an awesome setup (both regarding speaker setup and room aesthetics :)).

Thank you Shanmune and Santy and Saikatbiswas82.

I am still planning to get an SVS subwoofer they are out of stock in India - hence the wait. Did not consider bi-amping, due to my listening levels. Do you think it will make a difference at moderate levels?

I agree the Center seems a bit small, unfortutely its the only center they provide in the Revolution series. The Centers have 4" drivers, while the Fronts have 6" drivers. NAD's audyssey adjusted the speaker levels adding +3db to the center and -2db to the Front speakers. Aesthetically I think small centers look better (I know I know... it should be about the SQ :lol:)!!

I am still planning to get an SVS subwoofer they are out of stock in India - hence the wait. Did not consider bi-amping, due to my listening levels. Do you think it will make a difference at moderate levels?

I agree the Center seems a bit small, unfortutely its the only center they provide in the Revolution series. The Centers have 4" drivers, while the Fronts have 6" drivers. NAD's audyssey adjusted the speaker levels adding +3db to the center and -2db to the Front speakers. Aesthetically I think small centers look better (I know I know... it should be about the SQ :lol:)!!

Are you planning to import SVS sub to india or getting it from local store? Could you please share the price for PB1000? Did you consider SB1000 as well while making the decision? I've checked that SB1000 was costing around 3000 INR less than PB1000 (online price including shipping+taxes).

@Saikatbiswas82 If I recall, the dealer in Hyderabad expects the new PB1000 and SB1000 to be around Rs 55000 - 58000. But he's not willing to take orders or commit on a price until the stocks arrive in the country. Its almost 2x the price in the USA, but the product seems to be still moving. Can you please share the name of the online store selling the Subs?

On paper, bi-amping helps especially during some passages of the music where high dynamic power is required. At least the amp/receiver will sound with much lesser distortion in those passages. May be with bi-amping, the overall SQ improves in the sense that the lower frequencies will be more muscular. Again, this needs to tried to see if there is an actual improvement in your setup. Even I wanted to try that in my setup. In case if I could do that, I will update you.

I tried biamping my Polk Rti A7s when I was using Denon to power them.
Did not help much.
As long as the AVR is weak, the speakers won't sing..

I tried biamping my Polk Rti A7s when I was using Denon to power them.
Did not help much.
As long as the AVR is weak, the speakers won't sing..

I just saw in your signature about your Pioneer SC-37. That's a big amp.
I don't think you will ever require bi-amping for driving your polk speakers. Yet, have you experimented with bi-amping ?

Are you planning to import SVS sub to india or getting it from local store? Could you please share the price for PB1000? Did you consider SB1000 as well while making the decision? I've checked that SB1000 was costing around 3000 INR less than PB1000 (online price including shipping+taxes).

@Saikatbiswas82 If I recall, the dealer in Hyderabad expects the new PB1000 and SB1000 to be around Rs 55000 - 58000. But he's not willing to take orders or commit on a price until the stocks arrive in the country. Its almost 2x the price in the USA, but the product seems to be still moving. Can you please share the name of the online store selling the Subs?

I don't know what happened to the SVS distributor (Audire Tech, coimbatore). There is a huge delay in making SVS subs available for customers. So is there any other way by which this can be overcome ?

What about the online seller ? Or is it possible to get things directly from SVS if we opt for a group buy ? Any suggestions ?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back