Upgrade to 5.1 HT - within 2.5 lakhs

I just saw in your signature about your Pioneer SC-37. That's a big amp.
I don't think you will ever require bi-amping for driving your polk speakers. Yet, have you experimented with bi-amping ?

No. Actually I was doing it for my denon 2309. It just couldn't drive the Rti's enough.

The only issue will be warranty and service if we procure them directly. But if there is any source that can supply it at a good price, I would be willing to overlook the warranty. I've also read that HSU Subs are very good. Any idea if there is a vendor in India for this brand?

The only issue will be warranty and service if we procure them directly. But if there is any source that can supply it at a good price, I would be willing to overlook the warranty. I've also read that HSU Subs are very good. Any idea if there is a vendor in India for this brand?

Unfortunately HSU is not present in India. If we can form a quorum of people who are interested in getting SVS subs, then hifivision.com can initiate a group buy through Audire technologies (the official Indian distributor for svs).

Let me try to initiate a discussion between the forum moderator and Audire technologies. In the mean time, let us try to form a quorum. Any suggestions ? Forum members who have initiated group buys in the past can pitch in with their suggestions.

@Saikatbiswas82 If I recall, the dealer in Hyderabad expects the new PB1000 and SB1000 to be around Rs 55000 - 58000. But he's not willing to take orders or commit on a price until the stocks arrive in the country. Its almost 2x the price in the USA, but the product seems to be still moving. Can you please share the name of the online store selling the Subs?

@Acuity.... I've checked the quotation in ishopinternational. I was just checking whether to buy from amazon.com and ship it through ishopinternational.

For SB 1000 ishopinternational is quoting around 51k
For PB 1000 ishopinternational is quoting around 55k

My mistake. The price diff was coming around 4k and this difference is due to weight and dimension of the package.

SB 1000: 35lbs (shipping weight)
PB 1000: 60lbs (shipping weight)

Later on, I found some unethical business policies of ishopinternational from another HFV member (http://www.hifivision.com/dealer-fe...t-thoroughly-cheated-ishop-international.html) and looking for alternatives. If the Hydrabad shop owner is asking for 3-4K more, I'd like to go ahead with that option. At least I don't have to take the pain. :)

Hi guys,

I have finally received my SVS Subwoofer. The Model is SVS-PB1000, its a pretty large and heavy sub. This is my first Hifi sub ever. Here's a pic:

6wtl.jpg

I got it after a lot of follow ups with the dealer over several months.

:sad: Unfortunately, I'm very uncomfortable with the bass effect from this sub. :sad:

The bass sound has a very prominent presence in the room and is overly dominating. The Bass is very heavy and tiring the ears. No punch at all, just the low frequencies highly amplified. The sub seems very capable of delivering very low frequencies - and that seems to be the problem.

The bass punch is delivered only when watching action scenes at very high volumes. There is no punch at all at moderate volumes - you may point out that there would not be any punch at lower volumes - but I beg to differ there should be some punch (a milder thud) atleast. If I turn up the sub volume to improve the punch, the bass is unbearably heavy.

I've tried all kinds of settings: Seating position, Bass Level on the Sub, bass level on the AVR (Nad T757), Changing the Low Pass Filter on the Sub etc. FYI the system is Tannoy Revolution Fronts, and a Nad T757 receiver. The room is about 18' x 12', the system is along the shorter wall,

I don't know what's going on. I've requested the dealer to take the Sub back (imagine, after all that follow up to get it).

Anyone experienced something like this ever?

What Sub should I look at as an alternative?

Hi

Yamaha over the years in my opinion has gone done in terms of punch and general features one would want. You do have a nice budget and would suggest you to go got Marantz series the High end ones...depends on how much RMS power you would want to rattle the place down.

Marantz has a suite of features you are looking out for including the latest Movie / Game / Music modes....Music is warmer and puncher on a Marantz which I enjoy everyday. Concerts are excellent........

For speakers, since you have a dedicated HT area go for towers and B&W CM series would do good justice and survive in the long run very well..The subwoofer yes is important and you should go for a Velodyne....Impact 12.

KEF / FOCAL have good speakers. you would need to jointly consider the receiver and speakers before purchase in terms of specs etc etc. Look out for review and videos on You Tube and CNET which will help you to make this decision.

Remember when you go to a HT dealer, the demo for any system is given in a special room which is designed measured to appeal customers so go with experience and instinct. I don't have the liberty of having a dedicated HT room at this point but with windows open or shut in an AC environment the Marantz does quite well.

End of the day it all depends on what appeals to your taste and wallet...all the best

@Acuity have you tried moving the sub to different locations? Location makes a difference!

And how much did you get it for? Audire quoted 56 for the same

Marantz and Denon are two horses from the same stable.
An investment in lx series of pioneer will be rewarding for movies. The digital amplification that these amps do gives a swifter and punchier sound with full of details , give a pleasurable movie experience, than the conventional staged analog amps like that in denon, marantz.
Thats the reason they snatch the best avr of year awards, since 2010.
It all started from lx82/83 series(equivalent US models sc35/37).
Subtle, stable, zero noise, huge dynamic with sumptuous power oozing in each channel.

You tried all settings but what about positions?
The sub is not firing towards you as I could see from the pics.
If position is not appropriate, no sub will perform to its capacity.
Sub is only half the sound. Room is rest.

Last edited:
I have been contemplating getting a Sub for a long time. Now your experience is making me rethink. Pls post a long shot of your room showing the sitting position and the fronts / Sub positions to get a better idea.

@Santy and @Raghav_k I tried 3 positions in all for the Sub:
a) like in the photo, in a corner not facing me
B) in the same position but diagonally pointed towards me.
C) in the centre of the front stage pointing at me.

But I thought the LFE is generally directionless and most people put their subs in corners.

Jagdish, As requested here is a pic of the long shot of the room:

The single seater is the sweet spot and is at 2/3 of the length.

Forget trying to make the Sub gel with the Tannoys, I'm not able to even get a decent feel of the Sub.

The bass sound has a very prominent presence in the room and is overly dominating. The Bass is very heavy and tiring the ears. No punch at all, just the low frequencies highly amplified. The sub seems very capable of delivering very low frequencies - and that seems to be the problem.

The bass punch is delivered only when watching action scenes at very high volumes. There is no punch at all at moderate volumes - you may point out that there would not be any punch at lower volumes - but I beg to differ there should be some punch (a milder thud) atleast. If I turn up the sub volume to improve the punch, the bass is unbearably heavy.

I've tried all kinds of settings: Seating position, Bass Level on the Sub, bass level on the AVR (Nad T757), Changing the Low Pass Filter on the Sub etc. FYI the system is Tannoy Revolution Fronts, and a Nad T757 receiver. The room is about 18' x 12', the system is along the shorter wall,

I don't know what's going on. I've requested the dealer to take the Sub back (imagine, after all that follow up to get it).

Anyone experienced something like this ever?

What Sub should I look at as an alternative?

I have been contemplating getting a Sub for a long time. Now your experience is making me rethink. Pls post a long shot of your room showing the sitting position and the fronts / Sub positions to get a better idea.

Same here I am also in the process of deciding a SUB for my 10x15x8 room, and I love kick ass bass from action scenes, hence thought to spend on PB1000, but your review has brought more confusion to already confused me.:confused::confused: I was choosing between Velodyne Impact 12 and SVS PB1000 and with gazillions reviews online I was getting inclined to get SVS.

@Acuity BTW how much did you get it for and from whom /?

Last edited:
I got it for 59k. From a store called homecinema. Unfortunately I just returned it to the store. But I now have another Sub for testing. Yet to be powered on. I will test with that and do the crawl if required. Thanks for the useful link, it's probably the room acoustics.

Last edited:
What is the height of the ceiling? Your room seems to be very big in terms of volume and you probably should have looked at a bigger sub.

I got it for 59k. From a store called homecinema. Unfortunately I just returned it to the store. But I now have another Sub for testing. Yet to be powered on. I will test with that and do the crawl if required. Thanks for the useful link, it's probably the room acoustics.

How much money he returned after taking the SUB back? Which SUB you got now for testing? Is it working fine for you now or the same output?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back