Upgrade to Windows 10

jmascreen

Has anybody upgraded to windows 10. If so could please answer the following questions..

1) Any improvement in sound quality?
2) Was it a smooth process for upgrade?
3) How to backup the Windows 10 Image for future reinstallation

Has anybody upgraded to windows 10. If so could please answer the following questions..

1) Yes (I reserve the right to come back with a sheepish grin and retract)
2) Yes
3) I have read that it can be backed up on media etc. but I have to read/ get this done.

ciao
gr

Why would you use win 10 for sound (Audio/Music) beats me, even if there was an improvement on the sound drivers. Win 10 has other great changes and advantages as an OS..... and up till now I am loving it.

I did a fresh install from an ISO image (will purchase a license later)

You can use any imaging software like Nortan Ghost to take an image back up of windows drive.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that if you use drivers of sound card or drivers of USB DAC then it will make no difference whether its Win XP or Win 7 or Win 10.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that if you use drivers of sound card or drivers of USB DAC then it will make no difference whether its Win XP or Win 7 or Win 10.
....[1]

swot i think will eventuall turn out

but

the wasapi driver is new and redone

I know I might have to wipe the yolk off my face someday yet

but for the moment I am completely convinced it sounds better than the wasapi on win 8.1

like i said I said it and might regret it - but for the moment i am a believer

edit: joshua I have not tied asio, I played gar ho sake ... on the groove player app for about 10 seconds before I gave up and came running back to fb2k and a maidan sized (relatively) soundstage

ciao
gr

[1] haan haan maine bhi wahi kaha in earlier posts but kya kahoon

Last edited:
Then I would say try out the Win2012R2 version with the tweaks suggested on the net, you might be surprised as I was but not sure whether mine as well was a placebo effect but it sounds very good to my ears ;)

Did an IN PLACE upgrade haven't tested the sound as my primary necessity software Juniper Pulse Secure stopped working,,,

as my primary necessity software Juniper Pulse Secure stopped working,,,

uhoh !

meanwhile read this on CA

Schiit Bifrost driver and Windows 10

"We do not officially support Windows 10 yet. The driver for Windows 8 may work but we cannot guarantee it."

(I am on optical)

Stuff like what we are talking about above but on poll (also from CA)
Poll: Any interest in Win10 if Audiophile Optimizer is available? - Page 2

Yes, I have Win 10 installed (or planned) and would love to have AO on it 52 48.60%
Yes I would move to Win 10 if I knew AO was available 41 38.32%
No, I like Win 10 but no interest in AO 9 8.41%
No, I like AO but will stay with WS2012 and it's costs 5 4.67%

ciao
gr

I upgraded from Win 8. Went smooth as butter. Didnt expect that. they do have an option of roll back for 30 days. But I dont think I will do it.

The overall interface is much nicer and easier to access. So I am planning to keep the same.

Hi,
Could someone confirm all the Microsoft Office package installed in Windows 8.1 will work in Windows 10 also?

Is there anything which needs to be reinstalled if I upgrade to Win10?

Hi,
Could someone confirm all the Microsoft Office package installed in Windows 8.1 will work in Windows 10 also?

I did a in place upgrade and didnt need to reinstall anything. Trying to fix the issue with Pulse Secure.

Its strange working fine on wireless connection, however on dial up it says DNS client error Event ID 8003

Hi,

Mine worked fine. No issues.

Havent tried all my old apps. Will check and verify. Let me know specific apps, so I can help.

Windows 10 is leaps and bounds better than windows 8 with its nonsense app drawer .... just do it, you will be glad u did.

Win 10 is cool, except for the sluggish wake up from sleep! Or just its my laptop?! I don't know if its psychoacoustics, but I felt the sound improved a bit over DAC out. ;) I m not sure, though.. Or didn't it.? Anyway, it didn't go bad. So its safe!

What would be a good way to back up files/folders/data before installing Windows 10?
I am seeing some advice on the net suggesting use of disk-imaging rather than merely copying files onto another storage device.

:(*

itunes was running just fine after the installation.

A few days later, that all to familiar "installing upgrades" screen appeared. Itunes works, but identified my PC as a new one and I had to reactivate.

Itunes now believes I have three PCs (out of a possible 5) authorized on my id. One of them is however a phantom installation that I cannot possibly activate to deauthorize :(*

Am not sure if I should blame apple or MS for this.

ciao
gr

What would be a good way to back up files/folders/data before installing Windows 10?
I am seeing some advice on the net suggesting use of disk-imaging rather than merely copying files onto another storage device.
It depends on what you want to recover to. If you want to revert to the system the way it was before you upgraded - then imaging is the way to go.

Upgrade was very smooth. Not much intervention needed.

I copied all my user generated files to an external disk prior to upgrade, but on hindsight it was unnecessary.

All installed apps I've checked so far work fine post upgrade. I had some issues connecting to WiFi but that's now resolved, and I'm not even sure if it was related to the upgrade.

All in all a very nice OS. It's been worth it.

PS: this is not for my music PC, so can't comment about audio performance.

I had to temporarily remove grub and go ahead with installation and then put back the grub. Microsoft still does not tolerate any other bootloader in the same disk as windows.

1. Sound quality has deteriorated (I am using mediamonkey+asio) when you run applications like chrome. Looks like windows 10 needs more CPU compared to Windows 7. DPC latency has increased. Maybe, I need to do some fixes specific to Windows 10.
2. Installation was a breeze when grub was removed.
3. Lost the free process lasso license in the process.
4. Nothing broke (drivers, Kodi (xbmc), etc). The only applications I lost was Windows Media Center and process lasso
5. I think it boots faster than Windows 7 but still nowhere near the 40 secs bootup for a fully functional responsive desktop on Fedora/Ubuntu
6. Back to Fedora linux + Clementine as the default OS for playing music.

Last edited:
The upgrade from 8.1 to 10, just gave upgrade and left the table, when I was back after a couple of hours everything was done and completed.

- I had to reinstall my nVidia Drivers
- I had to authorize iTunes again making this a new computer, but my library was intact.
- Regarding sound quality - I believe there seems to be an improvement over the digital out. I have a Xonar Essence sound card, using the digital coax out to the DAC, there seems to be an improvement in the gain levels. But recently I had changed the RCA cable from the DAC to Amp, so don't know which part is improving the experience.
- The regular apps I use seem to work fine.
- had to reinstall Java
- the new browser EDGE from MS does not support Java
- Control panel is a bit confusing now, still haven't found time to explore the full potential of the OS.
- regarding speed, I have it installed on a SSD so really cant make any difference.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back