Upgrading my CD Player

tharun

Hi All

Now its time to Upgrade my CD Player, My Old reliable Marantz SA 7001 has found a new home so I am left alone with a Basic DVD player as my source . I have a maximum budget of 1 lakh to spend on the Digital Source. My amplifier is MF A3.5 ( which will be upgraded later ) , speakers are Quad 22L2 and I Have shortlisted few CD players

1. Primare CD 31

2. Cyrus 8SE

3. Musical Fidelity ( no models yet )
Any other options apart from these Players? Kindly suggest.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Tharun,

Any particular reason why your chnging from a Marantz?
I know unleash_me was planning to upgrade top Marantz CD7

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

The Marantz SA 7001 is a decent Player , but there are lot of players in the market which should sound far far better then the 7001, since I have saved some cash for the CDP and the Upgrade bug has bit me very badly after listening to a hi end system in a friends place , i needed a CDP very badly. Now I am using a Sony DVD Player as my source after selling my Marantz 7001, Believe me , the sound is horrible.:mad:

Tharun , if you are alooking for the initial list from which to Shortlist, do add the Cambridge audio 840C , Arcam CD37 and the CECTL51 cd players ( this one is available from Hong Kong dealer at a pretty reasonable price)

I am not sure if the Emotiva CDP player fits the bill but Venkatji has praised it a lot and it seems to be technologically ahead of many players
I know the most important thing to know how musical it is, so try to audition it if you can.

Extending on arj's suggestions, I strongly recommend the Arcam which I owned once (CD-192) chosen after listening to Primare, Linn, Cyrus, CA, etc etc. Since you mention about the bug-biting after listening to a real high-end source, if you really want to step into that realm, I can suggest two more players, the Ayre C-7xe and Resolution Audio Opus 21. They are in a different league. But they cost $3500-4000, I believe, and if you can source from abroad even a lightly used one (make sure of 230V 50Hz and never go for 110/220 etc transformers), they are worth.

Just my 2 cents, please.

good luck.
murali

The Marantz SA 7001 is a decent Player , but there are lot of players in the market which should sound far far better then the 7001, since I have saved some cash for the CDP and the Upgrade bug has bit me very badly after listening to a hi end system in a friends place , i needed a CDP very badly. Now I am using a Sony DVD Player as my source after selling my Marantz 7001, Believe me , the sound is horrible.:mad:

The upgrade bug seems to have really bit you hard, Tharun!:lol:

How about Music Hall MOD?
Yes it is not in that league as well very low price compare to your budget.

I like it a lot after audition of 8 budget and 2 high-end CDP
finally I bought it and really happy with its performance

Though I can't afford to add my 2 cents on this post... but still push for suggestion :)

~VijayK

Tharun , if you are alooking for the initial list from which to Shortlist, do add the Cambridge audio 840C , Arcam CD37 and the CECTL51 cd players ( this one is available from Hong Kong dealer at a pretty reasonable price)

Thanks ARJ , I somehow forgot the CA 840 , I will audition the CA too , But I dont have any place to look at the CEC

Hi All

Now its time to Upgrade my CD Player, My Old reliable Marantz SA 7001 has found a new home so I am left alone with a Basic DVD player as my source . I have a maximum budget of 1 lakh to spend on the Digital Source. My amplifier is MF A3.5 ( which will be upgraded later ) , speakers are Quad 22L2 and I Have shortlisted few CD players

1. Primare CD 31

2. Cyrus 8SE

3. Musical Fidelity ( no models yet )
Any other options apart from these Players? Kindly suggest.

Thanks in Advance

Hi
Best cdp IMO at around a lac is the ARCAM CD 37. Better than my old 192 for sure.
I may be ridiculed for saying this but also just hear a YAMAHA CDS 2000. U may be surprised. Since its a yamaha it sells way below list price and a new unit can be got for about 75K.
I prefer both these to the cyrus and the Primare that I have heard. I have not heard the upgraded (SE) cyrus players if that matters.
Rgds

Extending on arj's suggestions, I strongly recommend the Arcam which I owned once (CD-192) chosen after listening to Primare, Linn, Cyrus, CA, etc etc. Since you mention about the bug-biting after listening to a real high-end source, if you really want to step into that realm, I can suggest two more players, the Ayre C-7xe and Resolution Audio Opus 21. They are in a different league. But they cost $3500-4000, I believe, and if you can source from abroad even a lightly used one (make sure of 230V 50Hz and never go for 110/220 etc transformers), they are worth.

Just my 2 cents, please.

good luck.
murali

Thanks Murali for your suggestion , but I am not into that category , My rest of my system will not do justice to a 4000$ CDP. I am seriously looking at the Primare CD 31 after reading the reviews , but have not auditioned them till date. It has got Balance out:rolleyes: , is there really any advantage in Balance out?????

Thanks Murali for your suggestion , but I am not into that category , My rest of my system will not do justice to a 4000$ CDP. I am seriously looking at the Primare CD 31 after reading the reviews , but have not auditioned them till date. It has got Balance out:rolleyes: , is there really any advantage in Balance out?????

Yes there is an advantage of having balanced as well as unbalanced. Does ur amp accept a balanced signal? If not its of no use currently.
An XLR has a few advantages over the RCA and i prefer & continue to use them but THIS SHOULD NOT be given too much importance when selecting a CDP.
Arcam has no XLR out though.
Rgds

The upgrade bug seems to have really bit you hard, Tharun!:lol:

Yes Titus , I always felt that the Source should be the best in the Chain. The Marantz 7001 was a good VFM Player and I was fortunate enough that my friend took it and unfortunate that i have to spent extra amount from my pocket to buy another CDP.:eek:hyeah:

How about Music Hall MOD?
Yes it is not in that league as well very low price compare to your budget.

I like it a lot after audition of 8 budget and 2 high-end CDP
finally I bought it and really happy with its performance

Though I can't afford to add my 2 cents on this post... but still push for suggestion :)

~VijayK

Thanks Vijay

i have listened to Music hall before buying the Marantz , and I like the Marantz better the MH. Whats the other CDP you compared with the MH?

Yes the budget CDP list is below
last 3 were audition in UK:
- Onkyo C-S5VL
- Marantz CD6003
- Azur 550C
- Denon DCD 1500AE
- NAD C542
- Arcam CD 73T
- Rotel RCD-1070
- Advance Acoustic MCD203II
- Marantz SA8003
- Music Hall cd25.2

These 2 are my old pass away CDP
- SONY Pulse CDP-491
- NAD 540

These 3 also audition in UK
- Cyrus CD 8X (I like SQ but did not like its form factor ofcourse beyond my budget too :)
- Bryston BCD-1
- Azur 840C

~VijayK

Yes there is an advantage of having balanced as well as unbalanced. Does ur amp accept a balanced signal? If not its of no use currently.
An XLR has a few advantages over the RCA and i prefer & continue to use them but THIS SHOULD NOT be given too much importance when selecting a CDP.
Arcam has no XLR out though.
Rgds

My experience is similar to yours and when I changed from Arcam to Ayre source with balanced connections, I find it much better. However, as you say, you need the rest of the chain also balanced, both your preamp and power amp.

But I have a question for you. You mentioned earlier having changed from Arcam CD-192 (which I also used) and your posts mention you are now using a Yamaha. At the same breath, you are saying you prefer and continue to use balanced connections. In my understanding, Arcam NEVER makes sources or amps with balanced inputs and outputs. In fact they have published white papers to substantiate their belief that modern players producing high voltage signals don't need balanced connections. I wonder whether your Yamaha has balanced connections. Can you please clarify???

cheers.
murali

My experience is similar to yours and when I changed from Arcam to Ayre source with balanced connections, I find it much better. However, as you say, you need the rest of the chain also balanced, both your preamp and power amp.

But I have a question for you. You mentioned earlier having changed from Arcam CD-192 (which I also used) and your posts mention you are now using a Yamaha. At the same breath, you are saying you prefer and continue to use balanced connections. In my understanding, Arcam NEVER makes sources or amps with balanced inputs and outputs. In fact they have published white papers to substantiate their belief that modern players producing high voltage signals don't need balanced connections. I wonder whether your Yamaha has balanced connections. Can you please clarify???

cheers.
murali

Hi Murali
I have not changed from Arcam to yamaha. I have both in two different homes. I keep swapping and i prefer the yamaha.
YES THE YAMAHA HAS XLR (BALANCED) outs. I use the balanced as my amp (accuphase E450) accepts a balanced signal.

You are right on the Arcams having only single ended outputs. The Arcams replaced a Bryston Pre/power which also had the facility of XLRs. Have been using balanced for quite a while now and I seem to find it a shade better. I know it should not matter in such short runs so maybe its a question of the mind playing tricks.
Just to be sure I did an A/B with the same IC in Single ended & balanced and I preferred the latter.
Another interesting thing i noted was when I was auditioning the Esoteric XO 5. That definately sounded better with an XLR.

Hope all is clear now
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi

How about buying a Normal CDP like a Marantz or a NAD and adding a DAC like the Remiyo or Benchmark? Will that sound better then a high end Player?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back