UPS Suggestions Required

as per OP's quest I had suggested APC UPS..so gvenu dont take responsibility on you:D

I dont know the exact reason, but PRO-AUDIO professionals have recommended me Constant Voltage Transformer- for Noise elimination , prevention of spikes and for better voltage regulation. May be you can search on the net for CVTs.

There is a thread started by FM ajay124 where cvt, servo stab and online ups are discussed at length

CVT does work for things you mentioned but as per discussion on that thread there are two problems in CVTs in general due to which its not recommended to use with SS amps , specially high current ones

1) CVT works well with constant load but with SS amps Class A/B current draw varies a lot with kind of music and at what level its played

SET amps, Class A (SS or tube) have a constant load. So they can work well with CVT

2) CVT has to be run at almost full load. Now with SS amps, idle power requirement and when music is played varies a lot. So due to that issue CVT is also not recommended

@rikhav...yes whatever you are saying is true...but CVT has made difference to sound much..noise has gone and best of all , i feel whenever amp is blown in 12 o' clock position, it has stability than before, so far so good..may be down the line i may feel something , what you have mentioned. But after talking to pro- audio professionals- they are saying for varying load CVT is better than everything else..because they are dealing with mainly ClassA/B amp and class D amp.i think i have to dig down technically on Net..

Last edited:
@rikhav...yes whatever you are saying is true...but CVT has made difference to sound much..noise has gone and best of all , i feel whenever amp is blown in 12 o' clock position, it has stability than before, so far so good..may be down the line i may feel something , what you have mentioned. But after talking to pro- audio professionals- they are saying for varying load CVT is better than everything else..because they are dealing with mainly ClassA/B amp and class D amp.i think i have to dig down technically on Net..

Ohh...

How could I forget that you are currently using one and if its working for you its opposite of what is generally thought about CVTs as yours is also a SS amp and that too a high current one

If you don't mind, can you post what is the total load of your whole setup and what capacity CVT are you using

Ohh...

How could I forget that you are currently using one and if its working for you its opposite of what is generally thought about CVTs as yours is also a SS amp and that too a high current one

If you don't mind, can you post what is the total load of your whole setup and what capacity CVT are you using
Yes rikhav exactly,what you said - I got response from the audio guy...if you are having load 500VA and CVT is of 1KVA then there would be no problem of varying load, because already more than enough current or capacity is reserve for the amp. I have the same situation with me. As you said earlier the problem will be when there is cut to cut capacity matching between amp and CVT.

Yes rikhav exactly,what you said - I got response from the audio guy...if you are having load 500VA and CVT is of 1KVA then there would be no problem of varying load, because already more than enough current or capacity is reserve for the amp. I have the same situation with me. As you said earlier the problem will be when there is cut to cut capacity matching between amp and CVT.

Hi Dheeraj Ji

Now for say example, my amp uses maximum power of 900 watts and at idle 35 to 40 watts.
Max 50 watts each for cdp and pre

So If I want a CVT I will use one with capacity o 1.5 KVA (if its available) or then 2 KVA as CVT will work stable at 80 percent load, so a minimum 1.5 kva is bare minimum

So my whole setup is on idle, max consumption will be 150 watts which is not even half of the capacity of CVT

What does one do in such a scenario?

Please apologize, if I have got any facts wrong.

it is simple ..forget about CVT..

your amp has step down transformer -220v-to-12volts...current is always varying and compesated by step down activity
even normal amp has current rating not more than 5 ampere and while stepping down, current increases...

I dont know why you are considering the case of idle..

in my case , CVT is not at all idle, when i swiched on my amp and DAC..then only I switched on CVT...

only drawback is humming sound produced by ferroresonance transformer and it is best known for doing its duty

for producing best signal for audiophile purpose..and for rectifying humming sound, I keep CVT in other room.

IMO forget about idle..

I have friends who are working in electrical industry...they were about to have heart attack..

when I told them about power cables worth $$$ dollars...

they said..even a normal gauge power cable with proper copper ratings can produce volts and ampere that

any cable from mars and Saturn...

so its all about your equipment power consumption and no audio components is designed beyond that capacity on
earth..

if any body is saying to you , that is pure snake oil..

This is true. An online UPS first converts incoming AC into DC and then converts it back. This is not a 100% efficient process, hence power consumption is somewhat higher than under a line interactive UPS

If online is not efficient, what are the line interactive models. What is the disadvantage in line interactive models.

If online is not efficient, what are the line interactive models. What is the disadvantage in line interactive models.

It's still efficient - just not 100pc. Most would still be 90pc plus efficient. The sound quality improvements gvenu mentioned will only be available with an online ups, not a line interactive one

It's still efficient - just not 100pc. Most would still be 90pc plus efficient. The sound quality improvements gvenu mentioned will only be available with an online ups, not a line interactive one

Thanks for the clarification. I understand line interactive will not bring in improvement in sound quality, will it have adverse impact on sound quality?

Thanks for the clarification. I understand line interactive will not bring in improvement in sound quality, will it have adverse impact on sound quality?

Most line interactive UPSes have an inbuilt power conditioner of some sort. Depends on the quality of this power conditioner. I've had some that made the sound noticeably worse.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back