upscalling analog video to 1080p through av reciver

gr_babu

Hi

This is babu from chennai.

i am planning to buy an av reciver with upscalling option, i have zeroed in on onkyo txsr875 or denon 3808. i have a full hd 42' hitachi plasma tv.

i would like to know will there be noticeble difference in picture quality if say for example

if i am connecting the tata sky to the above mentioned av reciver and upscalling and upconverting it to 1080 resolution and connecting it through hdmi cable to the plasma tv. will there be any difference .(difference between connecting the tata sky directly to the tv and connecting tata sky to av reciver and upscalling it)

the reason i have choosen these av recivers was, i was told by the dealer that through upscalling analog signal to 1080 , there will be 10 times inmprovement in quality.Is that true?

please i request people out there to clear my doubt?

Hi

This is babu from chennai.

i am planning to buy an av reciver with upscalling option, i have zeroed in on onkyo txsr875 or denon 3808. i have a full hd 42' hitachi plasma tv.

i would like to know will there be noticeble difference in picture quality if say for example

if i am connecting the tata sky to the above mentioned av reciver and upscalling and upconverting it to 1080 resolution and connecting it through hdmi cable to the plasma tv. will there be any difference .(difference between connecting the tata sky directly to the tv and connecting tata sky to av reciver and upscalling it)

the reason i have choosen these av recivers was, i was told by the dealer that through upscalling analog signal to 1080 , there will be 10 times inmprovement in quality.Is that true?

please i request people out there to clear my doubt?

This is how it works:-(Tata sky/DVD Player direct to TV)
The 42' inch hitachi if its full HD its native resolution should be 1080P.
Any 1080P display needs to convert any signal it receives to its native 1080p Hi def to display it.
The drawback is most times a tv's deinterlacing and scaling is not anywhere as advanced as the chip sets found in stand alone scalers, receivers, dvd players.

(Using Receiver for upscaling and deinterlacing)
The Denon has the "Faroudja" chip set which is a average and decent chipset.
The Onkyo TX-SR875 has the acclaimed "Reon" based upscaling and deinterlacing which has yields very good results with great PQ.

I vote for the Onkyo since if upscaling is one of your primary concerns the Onkyo(reon) is leaps and bounds better than the Denon(faroudja). Not only your tata sky, your regular dvd's player hooked up and upconverted to 1080p should also look great.

10 times the difference could be a little exaggerated but you would see some kind of difference.
You would see 10 times the difference when you watch blu ray or something basically native hi def.

hi sir

Thx for ur reply . now i have almost decided the receiver.

u voted for onkyo on upscaling front than denon,
plzz tell me which reciver is better on overall performance.ie onkyo txsr 875 or denon 3808.

and for speaker package i have decided to go for

paradigm

Studio 100 series for fornts
CC-390 for centre
ADP-390 for surround
velodyne spl 1000r for sub

plzz ur comments on the above speaker package. cost of the speaker package is around 1.2L excluding subwoofer here in chennai.

ur comments plzz, is the price i am paying right fot those package. Are these speakers made in china plzz let me know.

thx

i have plans of going to singapore, where in singapore can i buy

a reciver onkyo txsr 875, paradigm speaker package, and a velodyne sub.

will it be cheap in singapore and what will be the customs duty here in chennai for those products purchased in singapore. my friend is accompanying me .

plzz reply

Last edited:
If i had to pick a receiver, i would pick the onkyo purely for HQV Reon. In the future if you upgrade to a bigger projector, the onkyo will really shine in comparison to the denon.

Its not like the onkyo does anything significantly less than the denon, the video side is superior on the onkyo. I think its a no brainer. Until and unless your a denon fan boy. My old receiver was an onkyo sounded amazing mated with my infinity's at the time.

Good pick on speakers.I'm not sure what size drivers your center channel has try to make it the same size as your fronts for timbre matching.

I suggest down the line add a stereo power amplifier for your fronts. The improvement in details and bass punch would be significant you would feel you have new speakers.

The Velodyne Im not really a big fan since you can get better for the money atleast in this side of the world.
Look into
HSU Research
SVSound - Home

If not above listed i guess velodyne or some other big name.

peace
satish

Dear Babu

Why would you like to upscale the movie...???
Obviously for getting good PQ, but even as you have L42X01A-Hitachi...???
So you want all your videos to be upscaled to 1080p...???

Sir, i would suggest you to take your own original video disc, with a resolution of not more than 1024 x 768p, to any dealer, distributing Audio & Video both...

Play the disc without amplifier, with amplifier (non upscaled mode) and finally with amplifier (upscaled mode)...you will see the differences...

If an amplifier upscales the Picture Resolution, they reduce the PQ...

Try it by urself, and dont forget to mark your experiences out here...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Hi,

I would also vote for the onkyo 875. If you are really interested in video processing, you can also look at onkyo 905: same chip as in 875 and more picture controls available, but costlier.

I assume that you have already done some research and **really** want upscaling in receiver. If you have not yet decided, please also look at the following thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/808-receiver-help.html#post3837

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

If he sends the receiver 480i there would be very minimal to no loss in pq since HDMI is digital.

How else is he supposed to uspcale his tata sky to 1080p, are you implying that the tv's scaler will do a better job than HQV Reon?

Dear Babu

Why would you like to upscale the movie...???
Obviously for getting good PQ, but even as you have L42X01A-Hitachi...???
So you want all your videos to be upscaled to 1080p...???

Sir, i would suggest you to take your own original video disc, with a resolution of not more than 1024 x 768p, to any dealer, distributing Audio & Video both...

Play the disc without amplifier, with amplifier (non upscaled mode) and finally with amplifier (upscaled mode)...you will see the differences...

If an amplifier upscales the Picture Resolution, they reduce the PQ...

Try it by urself, and dont forget to mark your experiences out here...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

thx for all ur suggestions and replys

I am planning for a singapore trip,
so thought i could purchase txsr 875 amp, paradigm signature series speaker system, with velodyne spl 1000 r sub.

Is it cheaper to buy in singapore and what will be the duties for the above products, if any idea please post, thx

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back