Urgent Help Reqd on Technics SL D-210 TT

Hi sachu,

Now it is clear, either the TT is Technics model No. SLB 210 (Belt drive) or SLD 21 (Direct drive) both the models have a T4P mount bayonets, so the OP can go for a new stylus alone, if cart is good or go for a new Cart(T4P mount) as per my earlier post.

Anyway I think changing the Tonearm is nearly impossible, given the availability of spares and labour for the same.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

Last edited:
Hi sachu,

Now it is clear, either the TT is Technics model No. SLB 210 (Belt drive) or SLD 21 (Direct drive) both the models have a T4P mount bayonets, so the OP can go for a new stylus alone, if cart is good or go for a new Cart(T4P mount) as per my earlier post.

Anyway I think changing the Tonearm is nearly impossible, given the avaialbility of spares and labour for the same.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

+1,I agree.

Regards,
Sachin

TT in question is a Direct Drive. Confirmed.

When cmsajith shared the model number of the available TT with me on Monday, it took us almost 20 minutes of searching (over a phone call) to figure out that it is a Direct Drive. All links seemed to suggest that it was a Belt-drive. We then found a high resolution picture similar to the the one in the Ad, we then zoomed in on the fine print to find to our relief that it was "Direct Drive" :D.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is it complicated? I may try for a DIY once I have a clear idea. How about Unipivot tone arms (http://www.atrj13.dsl.pipex.com/na-unipivot_stick.htm)?

Also there was one guy in bangalore (i think in brigade road) who had been in to DIY turntables sometime back (may be from kits). Any contacts?

It is complected especially with automatic functions. Uni pivot arms are great if you can make one.P mount was designed for plug n ply purpose,it doesn't need any alignment.You get the idea.It will be very good if you can diy tonearm for your TT.I may be interested too.Please go through this thread in DIY audio
my latest iteration of "Nanook's 219 tonearm".. - diyAudio its very simple but effective design.I have also opted this tonearm from Stew(Nanook)he will send me in few days,and there is great Frank Schroeder diy tonearm
DIY Schroeder Tonearm??? - diyAudio

Regards,
Sachin

The really tempting DIY tonearm is a "Well Tempered labs" clone,
which looks deceptively simple - golf ball floating in silicone fluid.

Thankyou all for the help.

Now I own a TT, it had reached 2 days back and it was indeed in mint condition. I had listened to it for the past two days (the seller had included 2 LPs also). I had been listening to them for the past two days and I am really impressed. Thankyou gvenu for lending his lyrita phono pre. I need to add a good phono pre, preferably the CNC as it has a lot of good reviews.

Thankyou all for the help.

Now I own a TT, it had reached 2 days back and it was indeed in mint condition. I had listened to it for the past two days (the seller had included 2 LPs also). I had been listening to them for the past two days and I am really impressed. Thankyou gvenu for lending his lyrita phono pre. I need to add a good phono pre, preferably the CNC as it has a lot of good reviews.

Sajith,

Those lp's would have completely worn out now!

Welcome and keep spinning! I have also started building the CNC phono stage

Regards,
Venu

Sajith,

Those lp's would have completely worn out now!

Welcome and keep spinning! I have also started building the CNC phono stage

Regards,
Venu

hmmm..... it has become see through..:)

For the CNC, I will also join you, will be getting the pcb shortly.

Hi Murli,
Technics headshell can't be fitted on this TT,as it supports only P mount cart(Fixed headshell).You can check this link for Grado hum
The NEW Grado Hum Database - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
The best P mounts were old Technics cart if available.Shure M92E is another good option with JICO hyperelliptical stylus.

Regards,
Sachin

dear all, i believe some tt s come with preset settings for anti skid and for countering the cartridge and stylus weight also. In that case what would be the effect if we change the OEM cart.or is it that all P type cart and stylus weigh the same.pl clarify.

dear all, i believe some tt s come with preset settings for anti skid and for countering the cartridge and stylus weight also. In that case what would be the effect if we change the OEM cart.or is it that all P type cart and stylus weigh the same.pl clarify.

I've used a Teac P988 and Technics SLBD20B prior to getting my Technics SL3200. While the P988 had a non-standard cartridge, the SLBD20B came with an el-cheapo detatchable p-mount cartridge which was duely replaced with a Audio Technica AT92ECD p-mount. While both TTs had preset anti-skid and stylus tracking weight settings, I did not notice any difference between the Technics SLBD20B's OEM cartridge and the AT92ECD. The tracking weight was a standard 1.5 to 2 gms I guess.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back