Urgent Help

For a music only PC, consider AMD Fusion E350 based motherboard with onboard CPU. The entire setup will cost around 10-12K only. Then for the rest of the budget add a good DAC.

Why not go for a media player like Xtreamer? Costs about 10K is much more convenient! It gives optical out so you can plug it to your favourite DAC.

Why not go for a media player like Xtreamer? Costs about 10K is much more convenient! It gives optical out so you can plug it to your favourite DAC.

Music management is cumbersome in media players. With a PC you can use a variety of music players and tinker with audio settings. Browsing music is also faster and reliable in PC. This I'm saying after using both media player and htpc.

For Music Only...

Do not think of it like you would think of a desktop computer, trying to get the most power and the highest specs that you can. Playing music does not need much power, but big, fast CPUs draw a lot of current and make a lot of heat, and heat needs fans, and fans make noise.

And get

haisaikat said:
either a good DAC or a sound card like Xonar ST /X.

:D

Hi,
Thanks for your valuable comments. I'm at present using ARCAM CD-17 as source. Please suggest me a DAC which could better my Arcam CDP.

Budget: Rs.65000/- (would prefer Pre-Owned)
with cheers

Budget: Rs.65000/-

What are you basing that on? The cost of your CD player?

Of course, if you are intent on buying high-end kit, you can spend that or far, far more on a DAC (See DAC around INR 100k for starters) but I suspect that you do not need to. PC components do not command the same marketing-based prices as hifi components, and a good sound card or external interface can be really, really good.

The sleekest solution would be to go for a Vortexbox - VortexBox user forum - News

An AMD based box with Integrated APU would be the next best solution. Otherwise, if you are not at all interested in Video performance, a low powered Dual Core processor should do the job. A sound card would be a must. A PCI instead of a PCI Express card may also make sense. Some sources report more noise through the PCI Express slots.

Please also go through the cPlay website for building and optimizing an Audio PC (cMP | Main / HomePage)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back