Urgent - Which Deck should I buy?

Of all the mechanical mechanism based cassette decks which I have come across, the Akai GX39D had the most robust mechanism. If you can find this deck anywhere in working condition, its a great buy. It also had the famed Akai glass head. Both playback and recording were fantastic. The bed-type mechanical mechanisms like that of the GX39D tended to be more reliable than the stand up mechanical ones. Here's a picture of the GX39D

gxc-39d-von-oben-2_25539.jpg

If you are interested, contact FM Gerry_The_Merry. He owns one and may be able to lead you to another.

a servo control deck uses electronics coupled with motors to trigger the functionality of your deck's mechanism. The buttons for play, fast forward, rewind, etc are usually gentle push buttons or touch buttons.

a deck with the old mechanicals usually has metallic levers that are physically pushed and engage based on spring action. These were common staple on decks of the 1960s and 1970s and also on some of the mass market ones of the early 1980s.

Thanks a lot for the insight.

Of all the mechanical mechanism based cassette decks which I have come across, the Akai GX39D had the most robust mechanism. If you can find this deck anywhere in working condition, its a great buy. It also had the famed Akai glass head. Both playback and recording were fantastic. The bed-type mechanical mechanisms like that of the GX39D tended to be more reliable than the stand up mechanical ones. Here's a picture of the GX39D

gxc-39d-von-oben-2_25539.jpg

If you are interested, contact FM Gerry_The_Merry. He owns one and may be able to lead you to another.
Thanks a lot.

But I have an issue with this bed type product as I will prefer a stand up one. Though ur insight on this model makes one understand that it's a more sought after deck.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back