USB port on LCD / Plasma : Controling the play of Music / Movies

kshastry

I am not sure whether any of you having an LCD / Plasma with USB / SD Card ports have faced this problem.

My LG Plasma lets me to connect my pen drive and plays Muslic and Movies without any issues. The user interface is well built. However there is no control provided to pause/forward/rewind the audio/video as you get to do with a DVD player through its remote. This can be a pain especially if you need to take a break (stop and resume is not possible) OR want to switch and comeback from a different input.

Is it only issue with my TV (LG PG61)?

Is there a solution to this? Thanks for your answers.

I am not sure whether any of you having an LCD / Plasma with USB / SD Card ports have faced this problem.

My LG Plasma lets me to connect my pen drive and plays Muslic and Movies without any issues. The user interface is well built. However there is no control provided to pause/forward/rewind the audio/video as you get to do with a DVD player through its remote. This can be a pain especially if you need to take a break (stop and resume is not possible) OR want to switch and comeback from a different input.

Is it only issue with my TV (LG PG61)?

Is there a solution to this? Thanks for your answers.

In fact I have LG jazz 32inch with usb and from remote I can forward, rewind and pause the movie files on USB. PL read ur user manual and find it. LG certainly would have provided that option as it is there on my unit. There is absolutely no issue in this regard. Only u can't adjust color, contrast etc. while watching movie through USB.

Hi Diplomat, I consulted the manual. It simply says how to "select" and play a file from USB, and not on how to control the play. Also, I guess there is some difference between UI of Jazz and Plasma displays.

Can you tell me which buttons on the remote you use? May be both have same type of remote.

In fact I have LG jazz 32inch with usb and from remote I can forward, rewind and pause the movie files on USB. PL read ur user manual and find it. LG certainly would have provided that option as it is there on my unit. There is absolutely no issue in this regard. Only u can't adjust color, contrast etc. while watching movie through USB.

Hi Diplomat,

Even i own LG Jazz (32") but i cant control the USB device via remote, can you tell me how do you change the settings for this? i have gone through the manual and i was not able to find the settings

Just have a look at the bottom most part of remote. U will find the buttons just like for dvd player with play, stop, pause and forward etc. When the movie file is playing on ur screen, just use those buttons and enjoy. Pl let me know whether it works or not.
regards.

Well, i asked this thing to some sale people at Vijay Sales. Said that playback controls are not there for Video/Audio from USB in all entry level plasmas

Just have a look at the bottom most part of remote. U will find the buttons just like for dvd player with play, stop, pause and forward etc. When the movie file is playing on ur screen, just use those buttons and enjoy. Pl let me know whether it works or not.
regards.

Hi Diplomat,

It worked fine, tested it last night and i was able to use the forward controls. Once again thanks.

Hi Diplomat,

I liked LG Jazz very much and found it VFM.. its really good.. i compared it with Samsung 4 series and Sony S and V series, except V Series, it really gave a better performance with Tata Sky ... I am yet to zero on one....
I wanted to know if you can play any sort of movie (including divx format) with USB ?

Cheers,
JK

Diplomat's tip was very useful. I am surprized how could I missed that. LG's remote could be used to control the play action of USB content.

All 2008 LG models with USB could play AVI, DivX, Xvid formats. You could also perhaps upgrade the DivX codec (it seems) from USB from time to time. Thats a great VFM compred to other brands with USB port which could only play AVI.

Most welcome for all ur thanks. This is the adv. of being connected I feel.

No doubt the jazz series is excellent on the features and performance front. Only the adjustment of picture on USB mode would have been still better.
Keep communicating..............

I have even tested the display with full hd blueray player and the outcome is outstanding, may be the decision of not going for full hd at this screen size and at this point of time was correct for me......

Folks who currently own the LG Jazz series. Any comments you'd like to share on the performance front etc. Any one of you considered the SONY V series seriously while making the LG Jazz decision? Thoughts on LG Jazz versus SONY V series?

Hi Diplomat,

I was trying to play a movie from the USB port on my television and i was not able to get the sound output from my HTS, however when i connect my cable TV STB i am getting the sound o/p from my HT. Spoke to the LG guys and they say the USB port doesnt get the sound o/p from any external device and the o/p will be only from the TV. Can you tell me is this true or shuld i modify any connections to meet my requirements.

Regards
Techgadgets

If you connect an input device like the USB to your TV, then you can play sound only through the TV speakers and not your HT. If you think about it, the HT is specifically connected to the audio out port of your DVD player or STB but not the TV to get the signal.

If you want sound via your HT and still watch movies off of a USB stick then use a DVD player with USB input on it.

Hi Diplomat,

I was trying to play a movie from the USB port on my television and i was not able to get the sound output from my HTS, however when i connect my cable TV STB i am getting the sound o/p from my HT. Spoke to the LG guys and they say the USB port doesnt get the sound o/p from any external device and the o/p will be only from the TV. Can you tell me is this true or shuld i modify any connections to meet my requirements.

Regards
Techgadgets

If you connect an input device like the USB to your TV, then you can play sound only through the TV speakers and not your HT. If you think about it, the HT is specifically connected to the audio out port of your DVD player or STB but not the TV to get the signal.

What if you connect to audio out of the TV? Or maybe to the 'headphone out' of the TV using headphone to RCA adapter? I think it should work eithways and am pretty sure of the second.

Diplomat can confirm.

Thanks,

What if you connect to audio out of the TV? Or maybe to the 'headphone out' of the TV using headphone to RCA adapter? I think it should work eithways and am pretty sure of the second.

Diplomat can confirm.

Thanks,

Would need a digital out from the TV for 5.1 SFX. Headphone would be stereo. Guess TVs with HDMI out would be useful, but if they would output 5.1 to the AVR would need to be checked.

Would need a digital out from the TV for 5.1 SFX. Headphone would be stereo. Guess TVs with HDMI out would be useful, but if they would output 5.1 to the AVR would need to be checked.

5.1 sound from TV is out of question.
Since technogadgets was telling that he can connect his STB to his HT (which will again be sterio) , He should be able to do the same with his TV.

5.1 sound from TV is out of question.
Since technogadgets was telling that he can connect his STB to his HT (which will again be sterio) , He should be able to do the same with his TV.

I guess, but it seems silly forgoing 5.1 SFX just to play via USB on TV. Even budget DVDPs come with USB 2.0 and digital out which will serve better.

I have a doubt regarding video playback through USB port in LCD TVs (Sony, Samsung and LG).

Is this USB port meant only for playing video files ? Or is it possible to pause, forward and rewind the video the way we do in a DVD player ?

I have read some user reviews where the users are complaining that it is not possible to pause, forward and rewind. :mad:

I have shortlisted 2 models:
1. Samsung Series 5 LCD 32 inch with inbuilt woofer and tweeter
2. LG Jazz LCD 32 inch with inbuilt woofer and tweeter

Samsung Series 5 has DLNA feature, whereas LG Jazz has IPS panel.

Please help me decide. (I want good SQ in addition to good PQ):D

Rohan

Hi,

Have a query related to USB/Hard drive conncetivity to LCD/LED.
Is External hard disk is compatible with LCD/LED. and if yes then what is the maximum capacity of hard disk that can be conected?

Thanks in advance..

Hi,

Have a query related to USB/Hard drive conncetivity to LCD/LED.
Is External hard disk is compatible with LCD/LED. and if yes then what is the maximum capacity of hard disk that can be conected?

Thanks in advance..

A Samsung salesman told me that we can connect external hard disk of upto 1 TB capacity. :clapping:

Rohan

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back