USB-SPDIF converters thread

Great. I am also planning to order digi+ transformer version. :)

On top of this i even power the rpi with a power bank. I am sure it helps rather then powering it with a mobile charger

I Use moode audio distro and kernel latency i have selected orion which sounds better to me then default latency

Use a 16 gb pendrive for storage as of now. Plan to buy ssd external drive for strorage as i feel ssds would create less electrical noise then conventional hdds as there are no moving parts and ssds also require leseer power

Lastly and most important plan to build a proper cabinet for the rpi

On top of this i even power the rpi with a power bank. I am sure it helps rather then powering it with a mobile charger

I Use moode audio distro and kernel latency i have selected orion which sounds better to me then default latency

Use a 16 gb pendrive for storage as of now. Plan to buy ssd external drive for strorage as i feel ssds would create less electrical noise then conventional hdds as there are no moving parts and ssds also require leseer power

Lastly and most important plan to build a proper cabinet for the rpi
I am building a low noise 10va linear psu for my raspberry pi [emoji4]
As a well designed linear psu is less noisy than battery, I am biased towards that.

One thing for sure...
Less moving parts=less noise

I am also looking for a nice metal case for my pi. If you come across anything nice, please let me know.

You are absolutely right about linear psu

If i come across a good cabinet or make one, i will keep you in mind and get or make 2 pieces

Been reading this thread. Took quite a while.

Sad thing is that USB is getting a bad rep for the wrong reasons.
Personally, I feel USB rocks. It is not called "Universal Serial Bus" for nothing.
From version 1.0 it has been using differential signalling and speeds have improved with 2.0 and 3.0. With differential signalling is not affected by things like ground bounce, etc.

The culprit is the power section of USB. Unfortunately, our PCs or laptops are shrinking by the day and more is being crammed into them. Power supply is the number 1 contributor to noise. When you have noise at PS, this permeates through out the PCB. After this is the high speed signals on the PCB. We have GHz and MHz signalling all over the place. Noisy buggers.

Now this noise leaks to the USB ports too. So when you connect a device to USB port, not only is data being transferred, PS and PCB noise is also coming through. If you are powering via USB, don't expect magic.

The best solution is to put an isolation element between laptop/PC and DAC/electronics.
Even a simple hub will do the trick as long as the hub itself is not noisy.

Imagine not having to deal with USB/OPT/COAX/RCA/HDMI/FireWire combinations but sticking with a simple and ubiquitous solution like USB. Life does become easier, doesn't it.

Please don't put more converters in the chain. Clean up PS or provide isolation.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi rahghu
what you say is true but then without isolation there is no way out
the regen and stuff comes at around 300 usd which is not really cheap

Hubs would be again be noisy as they have a very basic power supply similar to mobile charger

If there are hubs with good quality ps please do post links

Personally, I feel USB rocks. It is not called "Universal Serial Bus" for nothing.
From version 1.0 it has been using differential signalling and speeds have improved with 2.0 and 3.0. With differential signalling is not affected by things like ground bounce, etc.

The culprit is the power section of USB. Unfortunately, our PCs or laptops are shrinking by the day and more is being crammed into them. Power supply is the number 1 contributor to noise. When you have noise at PS, this permeates through out the PCB. After this is the high speed signals on the PCB. We have GHz and MHz signalling all over the place. Noisy buggers.

Now this noise leaks to the USB ports too. So when you connect a device to USB port, not only is data being transferred, PS and PCB noise is also coming through. If you are powering via USB, don't expect magic.

The best solution is to put an isolation element between laptop/PC and DAC/electronics.

Imagine not having to deal with USB/OPT/COAX/RCA/HDMI/FireWire combinations but sticking with a simple and ubiquitous solution like USB. Life does become easier, doesn't it.

Please don't put more converters in the chain. Clean up PS or provide isolation.

Cheers,
Raghu
One more thing we should not forget that USB input reclocks every signal that it receives...so better clocking mechanism is also needed alongside clean linear power. USB port is really a life saver but if we look at a $100 solution with a better clocking mechanism (like tcxo) we won't be able to get much value out of it IMHO.

Cheers,
Raghu

So basically what we need is a Chromecast Audio like solution but with USB instead of optical.

However, one problem I see with USB is with the introduction of USB C the technology itself has jumped the shark to the point it is not backward compatible.

I have an i7 PC with no USB C ports and as such cannot connect my Nexus 6P for data transfers.

What's to say USB D/E/F will not change the connector making older equipment obsolete.

Apple does it every few years, and everyone is forced to upgrade hardware just to use the device.

Hi rahghu
what you say is true but then without isolation there is no way out
the regen and stuff comes at around 300 usd which is not really cheap

Hubs would be again be noisy as they have a very basic power supply similar to mobile charger

If there are hubs with good quality ps please do post links

Here is one from Schiit audio.
Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

They call it a USB de-crapifier. Essentially provides isolation and re-clocking

Cheers,
Raghu

I am using Modi-2-Uber via USB and don't hear audio issues.
Did a simple test.

Player is foobar2K. Laptop connected to DAC via USB.
Play the song and mute at foobar2K.
Turn up the volume at amp or active speaker.
No noise. So I don't have any serious PS noise leaking through.
Or even if it does, my ears cannot hear it.

Thus I don't need isolation.

Cheers,
Raghu

Here is one from Schiit audio.
Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

They call it a USB de-crapifier. Essentially provides isolation and re-clocking

Cheers,
Raghu

Right... as per specs and user reviews it does its job well. However when its output is fed to another usb input of another dac like modi, bifrost, I guess the signal gets reclocked again. Correct me if I am wrong.

Upton Audio Regen is also another nice example but a bit more pricey. FM Nikhil uses it and I think he is highly satisfied with it. :)

I am using Modi-2-Uber via USB and don't hear audio issues.
Did a simple test.

Player is foobar2K. Laptop connected to DAC via USB.
Play the song and mute at foobar2K.
Turn up the volume at amp or active speaker.
No noise. So I don't have any serious PS noise leaking through.
Or even if it does, my ears cannot hear it.

Thus I don't need isolation.

If you give me the whole setup, I probably won't be able to hear any difference in a blind test. I think I am not upto that mark yet.

Mike Moffat is the father of DACs. So whatever comes out of his stable, it should be more than VFM.

Being said that, there are other brands as well that perform their job nicely and may come with a different sound signature. Its purely upto the user whether he/she likes it or not. :)

Being said that, there are other brands as well that perform their job nicely and may come with a different sound signature. Its purely upto the user whether he/she likes it or not. :)

As far as sound signatures go, in a serious listening session I use SW EQ on laptop. Sometimes with different presets for the type of music on the playlist. I have my own presets for old hindi/kannada, new bollywood, classic rock, metal, grunge, pop, blues, soul/RnB. So whatever the electronics be, it is my sound signature :)

I do agree that Schiit products are great VFM. Also have products from another direct sales company Outlaw Audio. Again very good VFM. Does not break the bank.

Cheers,
Raghu

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back