USB-SPDIF converters thread

That sounds like I am a dealer for BJC in India.

If you were, I'd have been buying from you :lol:

But they have no dealer in India (or anywhere else: I'm fairly sure they only supply direct). The good news is that the courier rates are very reasonable and the service is pretty quick.

I have placed the order at musicdirect for Hiface, will get it shipped through Borderlinx.

Yes Thad, the cables are already shipped through FedEx

Thanks Ranjeet...however I just ordered a Blue Jeans Digital Coaxial with Santy from the forum.....Will try and compare with the M2Tech Evo when I get the cable....

That sounds like I am a dealer for BJC in India. :lol:
Just to clarify, I wanted one for myself as I was planning to go SPDIF from USB for PC. We clubbed the order to save on shipping. :)

LOL, I'd have thought so too, had Rahul said "from", but he said "with". :p

I have placed the order at musicdirect for Hiface, will get it shipped through Borderlinx.

Yes Thad, the cables are already shipped through FedEx

Cool! Did it cost overall less than Amazon or round-about same price.

Hmmm.. may be alongwith fits better? ;)

Not sure about the total cost. With Borderlinx you will not know the exact shipping charges until they receive it. And they stopped taking/ paying customs. It will be collected by DHL on delivery.

Rahul... I know how painful is to get something and not being able to use it.

It has been already shipped (within 5 hours of placing the order!) :)
Estimated Delivery as per FedEx is 3rd July 2014!
But that it too good to believe, so keep your expectations low!

Will PM the tracking no. to you.

From the forum Hiface,Hiface 2 and Fiio E10 under consideration for this setup
Win PC to USB/SPDIF Convertor to Marantz PM6005 (this does not have a USB B type input)

Can FMs recommend any other USB/SPDIF converters which can get the job done below $150 and if possible below $100 (only Fiio fits here).

Thanks

Win PC to USB/SPDIF Convertor to Marantz PM6005 (this does not have a USB B type input)

Can FMs recommend any other USB/SPDIF converters which can get the job done below $150 and if possible below $100 (only Fiio fits here).

Thanks

I got a XMOS based DAC through ebay in December called "Gustard U12". Let me know if you are interested in the same and you can PM me.

Thanks

I own the M2Tech HiFace, M2Tech HiFace Two, and the M2Tech HiFace Evo. I can say they are all great products at their respective price points. You can not get anything better than the M2Tech HiFace at that price point.

This can be used as a usb to spdif converter and costs less than $100.

sa9227a.jpg

I have Asus Xonar U7 (USB input) feeding a FIIO D03K through S/PDIF. Works well for me.

Pleased with Gustard U12. One big advantage is the the linear power supply so that you don't need to worry about the USB noise. I do have Shiit wyrd and i know the difference it made to my Geek out USB DAC. No wonder Gustard too worked very well on my Audio-gd DAC. The brushed metal finish to suited with the brushed metal finish of Audio-GD :p.

I have Asus Xonar U7 (USB input) feeding a FIIO D03K through S/PDIF. Works well for me.

I am thinking of buying the U 7 in order to utilize my old laptop for audio only. I intend to connect the U-7 to an integrated amp via RCA only. I find you have put FIIO D03k also in the chain. What is the SQ of U-7 without D 03k ? Can tou share please. -- vnmathur

I am thinking of buying the U 7 in order to utilize my old laptop for audio only. I intend to connect the U-7 to an integrated amp via RCA only. I find you have put FIIO D03k also in the chain. What is the SQ of U-7 without D 03k ? Can tou share please. -- vnmathur

The problem I was facing with U7 standalone is that Windows/Linux volume control could control the volume and this was affecting the RCA output. After introducing D03K this changed. The S/PDIF output means that I can control volume only through my amps even if windows sound is set to mute. Using fiio through s/pdif has made a world of difference - the bass is quite tight now.The drums sound like I was in a live concert.

My laptop has USB 1.1 hence the U7 drivers don't work as they want USB 2.0 or higher. Maybe that is why I was facing the problems with volume control. Foobar detects the U7 but can't use the drivers hence has to go with windows stock audio drivers.

A word of advice, if you don't need to drive a 7.1 HT system then you can easily live with U3.

SQ of U7 otherwise is good; better than that delivered by built in DAC of my amp that handles media on USB drive. A lot of folks talk about jitter when discussing USB DACs. My ears haven't detected any jitter at all. However FiiO does bring in its own fun factor in terms of aggression of sound.

Last edited:
Pleased with Gustard U12. One big advantage is the the linear power supply so that you don't need to worry about the USB noise. I do have Shiit wyrd and i know the difference it made to my Geek out USB DAC. No wonder Gustard too worked very well on my Audio-gd DAC. The brushed metal finish to suited with the brushed metal finish of Audio-GD :p.

You used Gustard U12 with Audio-gd DAC? Pardon me, which model of Audio-gd DAC do you own?

As far I know after implementing USB-32 especially with recent models there is no scope of noise to pass through from PC to DAC as the +5V has already been disconnected (read the highlighted line at the beginning in orange color: ?????), instead it has own power supply. The best you can do is just cut the red wire (+5V) of USB wire or just use a cello tape to cover the +5V pin and then it will be a instant upgrade, black-silent background immediately felt (I did it myself).

So if u have Audio-gd DAC with USB-32 there is little need of device like Gustard U12.

Last edited:
You used Gustard U12 with Audio-gd DAC? Pardon me, which model of Audio-gd DAC do you own?

As far I know after implementing USB-32 especially with recent models there is no scope of noise to pass through from PC to DAC as the +5V has already been disconnected (read the highlighted line at the beginning in orange color: ?????), instead it has own power supply. The best you can do is just cut the red wire (+5V) of USB wire or just use a cello tape to cover the +5V pin and then it will be a instant upgrade, black-silent background immediately felt (I did it myself).

So if u have Audio-gd DAC with USB-32 there is little need of device like Gustard U12.

The model i have is NFB 10ES. It has a coxial input. As my STX card went kaput, i decided to use Gustard to do USB to SPDIF job. The linear power supply is an added bonus only.

I went ahead and got myself a Yellowtec PUC lite. liked it because it was Pro audio..supposedly better than the Audiophilleo and does not need a separate DC power supply
I have made myself a USB cable with separate Data and power by splicing and am currently using a powerbank to power it up although am currently using my compromised iMAc as a source (Audirvana) but at some point will put a dedicated compute but only after i figure out what to do.

From what i hear in the first few hours- very resolving and weighty sound. organic not to LP level.
eg I have the LP and the Flac version of Passions-last temptation of christ by peter gabriel. the digital has more details and separation but the LP gives you goosebumps

I will be looking at getting the computer server right over the next few months using a NAS as the media server

Some reviews of the Yellowtec

Review of the Yellowtec PUC-2 Lite, Various Hiface Devices, and Audiophilleo 2
Who wants to be an Audiophile?: USB SPDIF WARS - Audiophileo vs Yellowtec PUC 2 review.
http://www.stereotimes.com/post/yellowtec-puc2-lite-usb-converter/

..and an old one with some technical views
Computer Audio Asylum

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back