Use plain english

i am not cross with cheers. ..however i just realized how meaningless it was especially when one terminates a post ..( " i am closing the thread ...cheers.".)..that ' cheers' sounded more than hollow and meaningless..it sounded almost sadistic...

They have a saying in management lessons - 'look at even a negative step with a positive attitude.'

HFV is just a forum for discussing AV. It is not life and death. So, I am sure we can take every post with a positive attitude.

Cheers (Again?)

but, venkatcr -

why do you seek to engage every dissonance on this forum with negative energy ?

nothing is life and death - except for actual life and death-

and nobody is on this forum to seek the ultimate reason to live or die-

we are here to engage in "intelligent" conversation -

and the font of intelligence will quench the thirst of those to reach it, and you must not be the person to block the progress of those pilgrims

BTW - that is good english - and if some of the words seem obscure and foreign to you, i should be sorry...

and you seem to have been in a hurry with your post, because you have made mistakes - i will point them out if that is your wish.

regards - shershah

and yes - your "cheers" really borders on the absurd - and, is very condescending when you are scolding and putting a forum member in his place (as is your wont)

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest shown by fellow members. I have two suggestions/requests regarding posting.

1.Some people quote an entire passage to reply with a single sentence. While this is not a problem with broadband connection, it is a pain with mobile internet. So users are requested to quote only the portion of interest rather than the entire article.

2. Is there any way to use the Rupee font? We should use this symbol instead of Rs, INR etc.
Regards,
BX

Thanks shershah for your reply. I know about Rupee Foradian Font and I am using it in my system. But my doubt was that if I use this font, will it display correctly in HFV? Because if the font is not in the users PC, it will merely show a ` symbol.:rolleyes:

Thanks shershah for your reply. I know about Rupee Foradian Font and I am using it in my system. But my doubt was that if I use this font, will it display correctly in HFV? Because if the font is not in the users PC, it will merely show a ` symbol.:rolleyes:

ah! baijuxavior - sorry!:eek:

perhaps the mods could make this forum foradian-friendly by forcing all existing and new members to be foradian-friendly -

perhaps this is necessary, because much of the discussion on this forum is about how many (precious) INR are spent when buying from legal sources with 220 volt electronics!!

Last edited:
I have not come across any other website or forum where a moderator actively intervenes to correct the grammar and punctuations of the posters.Websites and forums thrive on the number of hits.Frequent 'school teacherly' corrections would ultimately result in less posts and less hits.In principle I am in agreement with venkatcr's quest for clean,well written posts.But if we consider the number of badly formed,hurriedly compiled posts which are submitted everyday,it would require several people working 24x7 to accomplish this objective.
Text does not live by grammar alone.Grammar is a skelton which needs to be fleshed out with intellect,imagination,irony and knowledge.If grammar was paramount then we would not need Cervante,Dante or Shakespeare.Any school teacher capable of dotting his i's and crossing his t's would suffice.
I hope this thread can generate a healthy discussions and does not descend into vitriol and anarchy ultimately resolved by a flick of the moderator's wand,rendering everything invisible.
Molly Bloom's soliloquy from Ulysses.Should James Joyce too be pulled up for crimes against grammar and punctuation?
"Yes because he never did a thing like that before as ask to get his breakfast in bed with a couple of eggs since the City Arms hotel when he used to be pretending to be laid up with a sick voice doing his highness to make himself interesting for that old faggot Mrs Riordan that he thought he had a great leg of and she never left us a farthing all for masses for herself and her soul greatest miser ever was actually afraid to lay out 4d for her methylated spirit telling me all her ailments she had too much old chat in her about politics and earthquakes and the end of the world let us have a bit of fun first God help the world if all the women were her sort down on bathingsuits and lownecks of course nobody wanted her to wear them I suppose she was pious because ..."

Last edited:
Well said Ajay124. I am afraid this forum is missing things big time !!!

i do not know whether i should be adding my Rs. 4 lakhs to this discussion, but-

it is a well-known fact that forums and institutes (and other gatherings of peoples where knowledge is pooled and disseminated) can only be as good as the people who populate it.

so, where are all the good men gone?

The word used here is MEN (adults)

There are no children on this forum, that is for sure. Children are peculiar, in the sense that they do well with directions and instruction, and they like being herded and guided, and they also like being told what to do and what not to do- and at the end of it all, they write a passionate "To Sir, with love"
yes, they are the good children.

The good adult is not like that at all, and the good clever adult will easily take umbrage if he is reprimanded unjustly by a "school-teacherly" adult.
There will be a clash - and ultimately, the good clever adult will decide to leave the forum.

Just too bad that the Mods cannot do anything about this - it is as if their hands are tied:indifferent14:

Comas and fullstops and proper arrangements of words is not important. As far as knowledge/discussion is flowing one should not interfere. Even use of recognised abbreviations should be allowed. Common regional language words should be allowed. Further I will say as a human nature slightly off topic discussions, use of humor are unavoidable no matter how hard one tries...

Nd spkrs..pls hlp plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If that's what you want the forum to look like, then cut the plain-english rule!

Shershah

Looking at your email I see all the hallmarks of a good Jesuit school education.

i do not know whether i should be adding my Rs. 4 lakhs to this discussion, but-

it is a well-known fact that forums and institutes (and other gatherings of peoples where knowledge is pooled and disseminated) can only be as good as the people who populate it.

so, where are all the good men gone?

The word used here is MEN (adults)

There are no children on this forum, that is for sure. Children are peculiar, in the sense that they do well with directions and instruction, and they like being herded and guided, and they also like being told what to do and what not to do- and at the end of it all, they write a passionate "To Sir, with love"
yes, they are the good children.

The good adult is not like that at all, and the good clever adult will easily take umbrage if he is reprimanded unjustly by a "school-teacherly" adult.
There will be a clash - and ultimately, the good clever adult will decide to leave the forum.

Just too bad that the Mods cannot do anything about this - it is as if their hands are tied:indifferent14:

Why dont you just use it and check for yourself? :D

BTW several, abbreviations are norms in the forums. I am a member in several forums and I vouch for that. Abbreviations (You can call it net/SMS language) have a purpose. It saves time in typing and reading. :licklips:

BTW, IMO, IMHO, AFAIK are few examples of some of the common words in vogue and should be used. Or we may start typing full forms of words like OK, RSVP etc, that will also enlighten to the correct full forms of the words. ;)

I do think posters should write in good, readable English. Granted, everybody may not be able to write in perfectly grammatical English and I think it is good enough if they try to do their best.

In an internet forum, a poster puts himself forward with the way he writes, be it asking a question or answering a query. People who are serious about what they are saying, show their seriousness in the way they put themselves across. And the people who read the posts judge the poster by what is written -- both by the manner and by the content of what is written. A poster also shows his respect (or lack thereof) for the reader/s in the way he writes.

Is it so difficult to write in a way that somebody else can read your post without difficulty? It is simply a matter of spelling out the words completely, thinking coherently, breaking up your ideas into reasonably sized sentences, and then arranging those sentences into reasonably sized paragraphs.

I'm sure everybody who's posting/reading here has had enough education to be able to do this. We've all been doing it from the time we were in school. In my books, somebody who doesn't take the effort to do this does not respect the people his post is meant for, and really doesn't deserve being responded to.

Does the poster want his posts to be readable to the people who visit this forum? Does he want people to actually read his posts and reply? What kind of an impression does he want to leave with the people who read his posts?

I believe that the answer to these questions will determine the way one writes.

I do think posters should write in good, readable English. Granted, everybody may not be able to write in perfectly grammatical English and I think it is good enough if they try to do their best.

In an internet forum, a poster puts himself forward with the way he writes, be it asking a question or answering a query. People who are serious about what they are saying, show their seriousness in the way they put themselves across. And the people who read the posts judge the poster by what is written -- both by the manner and by the content of what is written. A poster also shows his respect (or lack thereof) for the reader/s in the way he writes.

Is it so difficult to write in a way that somebody else can read your post without difficulty? It is simply a matter of spelling out the words completely, thinking coherently, breaking up your ideas into reasonably sized sentences, and then arranging those sentences into reasonably sized paragraphs.

I'm sure everybody who's posting/reading here has had enough education to be able to do this. We've all been doing it from the time we were in school. In my books, somebody who doesn't take the effort to do this does not respect the people his post is meant for, and really doesn't deserve being responded to.

Does the poster want his posts to be readable to the people who visit this forum? Does he want people to actually read his posts and reply? What kind of an impression does he want to leave with the people who read his posts?

BRAVO! :clapping:

beg to differ, hydra-

this forum is NOT about english, NOT about english grammar, and certainly not about elegant divides with paragraphs-

No - this forum is about pooling (and dispersing) knowledge about high fidelity audio and video (and the rooms that such systems are placed in)

what about Gert Van Mevius (from Netherlands) who was schooled in France, and now resides in Belgium? -

would you disregard what he has to say simply because his "english" is not good enough?

Language is about COMMUNICATION between human individuals, and in forums like this, a wide latitude must be allowed as long the message (re hifi) gets across - it is the KNOWLEDGE that is important.

as long as perverted members (such as suri) do not participate - forum members must be free to allow other members access to their thoughts and expertise without having to worry if they are going to get a rap across their knuckles for "bad" english.

idiotic - this discussion:)

if we, as individuals, want to benefit, well, then, we must read between the lines, and get past the language - and get to the HONEY that lies beyond those obvious traps.

Last edited:
Comas and fullstops and proper arrangements of words is not important.

Infact commas and fullstops can convey an idea better.
Check - Hang him not, leave him and Hang him, not leave him.

Even use of recognised abbreviations should be allowed.
I agree with you, but not too much abbreviation. We all have enough time to type that extra characters.

Further I will say as a human nature slightly off topic discussions, use of humor are unavoidable no matter how hard one tries...
True!:eek:hyeah:

Why dont you just use it and check for yourself? :D
I will try to use that symbol wherever possible.:)

You are right.:clapping:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back