Use plain english

A panda walks into a caf. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

Background to the book this forum would like most - Eats shoots and leaves.

beg to differ, hydra-

this forum is NOT about english, NOT about english grammar, and certainly not about elegant divides with paragraphs-

No - this forum is about pooling (and dispersing) knowledge about high fidelity audio and video (and the rooms that such systems are placed in)

I agree completely.

My point is that, for the pooling and the dispersal of knowledge, we must all be able to communicate to each other in a way that facilitates easy and complete understanding. Communication happens only when what the "sender" says is understood by the "receiver" exactly as the "sender" intended the "receiver" to.

Also, we should show consideration to the others who read our posts when we write something. So we must write in a way that does not make it difficult for the other person to understand what we are writing.

I'm not a grammar-nazi or a spelling-nazi. We all make mistakes when we write. But these mistakes are made not because we do not care for the manner in which we write. We also do not deliberately choose to use the wrong spellings (or wrong grammar) simply because it suits *our* convenience of the moment.

All that somebody who does not know English well needs to do is to make his best effort to get his point/idea/query across. As long as he does not use SMS lingo, as long as he takes care to use punctuation and sentence breaks and paragraph breaks to the best of his knowledge, as long as he thinks out what he wants to write and writes it in a manner that shows consideration to the reader, he has done what it takes.

This is going a bit far afield, but I will illustrate what I'm trying to say by giving four examples: Three examples of unacceptable posts (in my personal opinion) by people who know enough English to be able to write well, and one example of an acceptable enough post (in my personal opinion) by somebody who makes typos and grammatical mistakes.

Example Post 1: The SMS Slave
'sup m8s! am lookng 4 systm 2 play muah fave tunes by the beebz. wud luv hvy hittng bass n nice trbl. wnt pwrful setup. wat r the best brandz? need hlp with ampz, spkrs and wirez. also need deets on dac. vil a dac hlp? anbdy here usng a dac? what dacs? n shud i use my comp to ply music or use a cd plyr? hlp plzzzzzzz!

Example Post 2: The Rambling Mind
hello everyone... i love music... got my bonus yesterday... planning to upgrade everything... have 2 speakers now... PSB Alpha B1... one amp... Nad... dunno model... don't remember what RCAs... or what speaker wires... thinking of buying a dac... don't know if it will help... will it help... want to use computer to play flacs... i like fast bass... not too much treble... listen to everything... oldies... classic rock... pop... bollywood... tamil songs... telugu
songs... malayalam songs... like yesudas very much... what should I buy... have 50K budget... I stay in a village... no options for auditions... want to buy from bangalore... what dealers to visit... what brands to listen to... will try when I'm in bangalore next... forgot to say i have marantz cd player... very old... but sounds great... have a 10x16 room... planning to get floorstanders now... what brand is best... help please... with full details and prices...

Example Post 3: The Endless, Punctuation-less Sentence
hello everyone i like music and am planning update my setup you see i got my bonus yesterday and im very happy about it so what do you think i should buy if i use psb alpha b1 speakers and a nad amp don't know the model but i know it is only 4 years old anyway i like fast bass and not too much treble and i listen to everything for example oldies classic rock pop bollywood tamil songs telugu songs malayalam songs i like yesudas very much hes awesome so what do you think people oh and i forgot im also wondering if i should get a dac because i plan to use my computer to play flacs now since i use an old philips cd player and i dont know how much longer it will work and will the computer sound better than the cd player if i use a dac and i was also confused about what sound card i should use for the music to sound the best and do i really need a sound card anyway i think ill go step by step now and start by upgrading the speakers and amp to some better ones only im not really sure what i should buy as i stay in a village and it will be difficult to get auditions of good brands but i will try to visit some shops in bangalore the next time i there so what doyou think friends

Example Post 4: He may not be good at spellings and he may not be the best with grammar. But he tries sincerely to make the reader understand what he wants to say, by using proper punctuation, sentence breaks and paragraph breaks.
Hello, every one.

I liek music. I am getting bonus yesterday so I planning to upgarade my speekers.

Now I use PSB Alpha B1 speakers with Nad amp. Not knwoing amp model -- I boughted it 3 years back.

I like fast bass and little treble. I listen everything: Oldies, classic rock, pop, bollywood, tamil songs, telugu songs, malayalam songs, etc. I very much like Yesudas. He's awesome.

I also wondering if getting DAC will help. I use old Philips CD palyer now, but not sure if it will become repair soon. I think of using computar to play FLACs. I also wonder what sound card will be best. Do I need a sound card?

I am thinking i will go step by step and start with upgrading my speekers and my amp. I thinking of getting floorstanders. I have a 10ft x 16ft room.

I'm not sure what I should buy right now. I village-stayer, so it difficulty getting auditions here. I will visiting some shops when I am in Bangalore.

So what you think, friends?

End of rant. :)

Hydra, your post should be borrowed by the moderators of all serious forums (fora, to the pedants ;)). It says it all, perfectly :D

Actually, again for the pedants, the paragraph breaks in the last example are not really correct: the first two sentences, about speakers, belong in the same paragraph.

I'm not lecturing, because I write like this too. To me, it is a compromise between formal, written English, and colloquial conversation. Neither is 100% appropriate to forum interaction, so we create a hybrid.

I have been a moderator on an international site, and I completely agree that no-one should be penalised for not being fluent at English. Nor are we here to criticise each other's spelling or grammar. Without built-in spelling checkers, my posts would be riddled with errors, and a few get through anyway!

Last edited:
I agree completely.

My point is that, for the pooling and the dispersal of knowledge, we must all be able to communicate to each other in a way that facilitates easy and complete understanding. Communication happens only when what the "sender" says is understood by the "receiver" exactly as the "sender" intended the "receiver" to.

Also, we should show consideration to the others who read our posts when we write something. So we must write in a way that does not make it difficult for the other person to understand what we are writing.

I'm not a grammar-nazi or a spelling-nazi. We all make mistakes when we write. But these mistakes are made not because we do not care for the manner in which we write. We also do not deliberately choose to use the wrong spellings (or wrong grammar) simply because it suits *our* convenience of the moment.

All that somebody who does not know English well needs to do is to make his best effort to get his point/idea/query across. As long as he does not use SMS lingo, as long as he takes care to use punctuation and sentence breaks and paragraph breaks to the best of his knowledge, as long as he thinks out what he wants to write and writes it in a manner that shows consideration to the reader, he has done what it takes.

This is going a bit far afield, but I will illustrate what I'm trying to say by giving four examples: Three examples of unacceptable posts (in my personal opinion) by people who know enough English to be able to write well, and one example of an acceptable enough post (in my personal opinion) by somebody who makes typos and grammatical mistakes.

Example Post 1: The SMS Slave

Example Post 2: The Rambling Mind

Example Post 3: The Endless, Punctuation-less Sentence

Example Post 4: He may not be good at spellings and he may not be the best with grammar. But he tries sincerely to make the reader understand what he wants to say, by using proper punctuation, sentence breaks and paragraph breaks.

End of rant. :)

you have Sprachgefhl-

Sprachgefhl - definition and meaning from Wordnik

hydra
"grammar nazi" is good!It's not very often that one comes across somebody using language,any language,with a touch of class.Keep it up :)

Great job summarizing the kinds of forum posts Hydra.
Example 4 should be made as the minimum requirement in forum :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back