Using a 110 volt A/V reciever with 220 volt power supply

arvban

Hi- I just bought a Denon 4310 A/V receiver from USA and will be using it in India. Although I bought this piece from US mainly for price difference but now I am very nervous hooking up this expensive unit without a proper voltage step down process. I need the advice of folks who have done similar stuff before. Here are my questions -

1. This reciver is rated at 110 volt and 8.1 Amps. So its roughly 1000 watts. Will a step down transformer with 1500 watts rating will work or I should go with a 2000 watts transformer?
2. Someone in this forum earlier said that its better to go with isolation transformer. Isolation transformer costs almost twice as much as regular ones. Can someone guide me whether isolation transformer is a must or nice to have?
3. Would you recommend that I use this step down transformer along with a voltage stablizer? If so, a voltage stablizer with 1000 watts rating will do or I need to buy as big a stablizer as the transformer?
4. Would you recommend that I should add a power conditioner(to filter out AC line noise) along with the step down transformer? Or it's not necessary.
5. Can someone recommend a good brand/shop to buy quality step down transformer in Hyderabad?

I got a custom made one for my Onkyo 504 in Hyd, PM me if you need the details. Confirm whether you need 1KV or 2KV stab+transformer with the experts here and then you could also look at Maxine, check out their dealers in Hyd.

Hi- I just bought a Denon 4310 A/V receiver from USA and will be using it in India. Although I bought this piece from US mainly for price difference but now I am very nervous hooking up this expensive unit without a proper voltage step down process. I need the advice of folks who have done similar stuff before. Here are my questions -

1. This reciver is rated at 110 volt and 8.1 Amps. So its roughly 1000 watts. Will a step down transformer with 1500 watts rating will work or I should go with a 2000 watts transformer?
2. Someone in this forum earlier said that its better to go with isolation transformer. Isolation transformer costs almost twice as much as regular ones. Can someone guide me whether isolation transformer is a must or nice to have?
3. Would you recommend that I use this step down transformer along with a voltage stablizer? If so, a voltage stablizer with 1000 watts rating will do or I need to buy as big a stablizer as the transformer?
4. Would you recommend that I should add a power conditioner(to filter out AC line noise) along with the step down transformer? Or it's not necessary.
5. Can someone recommend a good brand/shop to buy quality step down transformer in Hyderabad?

Hi, I got my Onkyo from the US, 8.5 years back (for $289 when it was priced 40K in Blr!) and has been using it with a locally made 1KVA step down transformer since then. I didn't have a single problem till now(touchwood!). I spoke to Onkyo customer service in the US when I bought it... their recommendation was not to buy it. The reason they said was that our power supply is 50Hz which could heat up the receiver more than normal and this could damage the system.

I got a custom made one for my Onkyo 504 in Hyd, PM me if you need the details. Confirm whether you need 1KV or 2KV stab+transformer with the experts here and then you could also look at Maxine, check out their dealers in Hyd.

Thanks. I will go with 1.5 KVA. I just need the transformer. Can you give me the contact?

Hai,

Power in kva=Voltage*current
=110*8.1= 891 VA
This is full load rating so, you can use 1000 VA rated step down transformer considering factor of safety. You can contact local Maxine dealer they make good quality transformers.

Here is the link

http://maxineindia.com

N.Murali

Last edited:
Hi,
I would recommend Krykard . If you happen to be in Bangalore you can call Navin 9343093001. They supply Servo Stabliser and Isolation + Step Down transformers.

Thx

Hello,
Can anyone give some information about any place from where i can buy a good 220-100V converter from in Kolkata?

Thanks in advance.

-Saikat.

Hello all,
Well i did get one made and wanted to update this thread. Do get a isolation transformer and not an auto-transformer. This was informed to me by a uncle of mine and the reason cited was the possibility of shorting at a later date (due to poor quality of windings etc) resulting in the possibility of the entire 220 available at the output.

Well that said, I did manage to pick up the transformer, which weighs like 8-9 kgs, rated at 1.5KVA. This cost me around 3.5k. A cheapo case, a voltmeter, a switch and a 15 amp plug cost another 500 odd. Another guy who put the transformer into the case told me later that it provides around 1-1.2KVA (which was okay with me as i over provisioned my requirements expecting something like this).

The place where I got this from is called Railton on madan street (basement shop). So far I do not have any problems with it except that the case becomes warm after switching it on for about 10 minutes and the craftsmanship was 3rd rate (will get it redone later). I presume the temperature is because of the metal case and the magnetic flux resulting in eddy currents.

Sir,

Many audio components have a rather simple method to convert them to 220VAC.

If you look at the primary of the power transformer you MAY find that they have used 2 110V windings in parallel. If you put these windings in series your amplifer will be 220VAC compatible without the use of an external transformer.

Sir,

Many audio components have a rather simple method to convert them to 220VAC.

If you look at the primary of the power transformer you MAY find that they have used 2 110V windings in parallel. If you put these windings in series your amplifer will be 220VAC compatible without the use of an external transformer.

Navin: Really a good idea. Is there a way I can confirm without opening my new Onkyo. I guess anyways it doesn't carry a warranty since its bought in the US & am using it in Hyd, India.

Or even a DIY video/blog can help me.

Thanks in advance

I have onkyo 805 with Maxine step down, it's been more than a year and it's running flawlessly. I would suggest to go for step down with stabilizer.

Navin:Can you post a pic how the primary transformer looks like? At least a google image would be fine. :)

It is not a primary transformer. It is the primary winding of the power transformer that I was refering to.

A transformer has 2 windings (at least 2) - at least one on the primary side and at least one on the secondary side. The wind ratio between the 2 windings determines the voltage ratio.

See links below for pic.
http://www.kgcompo.com.my/userfiles/image/business/transformer/capabilities/imgtranscap01.jpg

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage/images/SCENE_005.jpg

Now lets assume the primary side has 2 windings of 1000 turns each and the secondary side has 1 winding of 500 turns each.

If the 2 primary windings are in parallel the winding ratio will be 1000:500 between primary and secondary. Hence 110VAC will get converted to 55VAC (which is later rectified to become about 80 VDC but that is another story).

If the same two primary windings are connected in series the winding ratio will be 2000:500. Hence 220VAC will get converted to 55VAC (which is later rectified to become about 80 VDC as before).

Hence by changing the primary winding connections you can adapt the transformer for 100V and 220V countries but the internal circuits will still get the same DC voltage.

I hope this explains it. I have tried to keep it simple.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back