Using high core electrical cables for audio

Even my cables are hardly visible. But it just gives me a peace of mind that they do look good. And the fact that banana plugs, heat shrink and cable sleeve can be bought at a very reasonable cost makes it a no brainer for me. These companies that sell custom cables charge so high for these little (and more) changes and you can do that on your own for a fraction of money.

Sure. Thanks. I agree. but my concern of not to buy banana plugs is not cost but space. I don't think I have that much liberty of space to connect the cables to banana plugs and then connect the plugs to the AVR since my AVR is inside a cabinet :)

Only 2 parameters will have an affect on signal quality in a speaker cable:
1. Resistance (significance depends on speaker impedance too)
2. Inductance

Anyone heard of a brand called Konig , someone I know has Konig Professional OFC Speaker wire to sell.

Last edited:
Just twist tight the strands and tin them. No oxidation issues.

If the twisted dia is larger than the hole in the binding post, cut off strands of wire till they fit.
Could you please explain the material, tools and process to tin bare wire.

My friends had used Finolex as well as polycab speaker wires in home theatre & results were quite satisfactory.

Attachments

• 265689B5-7369-4CB9-87B3-56CDEF4B1C8C.jpg
    265689B5-7369-4CB9-87B3-56CDEF4B1C8C.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 45E26B10-47C2-4740-9913-396E3B6E1EBC.jpg
    45E26B10-47C2-4740-9913-396E3B6E1EBC.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
Though there is a hype around high cost/ grade loudspeaker cables, I am yet to come across a company that will put the electrical parameters of a cable on paper and tie it to superior audio quality. They do use better core and insulation material which get categorized into built quality not audio quality.

Let us assume that a cable manufacturer shows the difference on an oscilloscope. My question is: Do we see audio or hear it? Another question: How much extra are you willing to pay for audio that looks clean but sounds the same to naked ear?

For hecks sake, let us analyze the parameters of a cable that WILL affect sound quality:

1. Wire resistance is the only parameter that will matter in almost all cases. It will cause gain loss that can be compensated easily with volume/ gain setting.
2. Cable capacitance: For the length of wire that we typically use at home, or for that purpose in multipurpose halls, its nothing that will cause filter effect at low, mid or high frequencies.
3. Cable inductance: Usually causes unloading of amplifier at high frequencies. However, a good amplifier design almost always has a Zobel network (R-C combination from amplifier output to ground) that keeps the amplifier loaded. In my practical experience, I have never seen or heard a cable causing an amplifier to unload.

So, again, go ahead and use good grade electrical cables. No problem.

There is one brand mentioned above: Belden. It is a very highly respected brand. The material used is visibly superior to anything I have seen.
Personally I have used two core shielded wire for signal, not speaker. I used it for cinema projector sound pick-up. I could have used any Janta brand. But projector area is prone to carbon dust, oil spills etc. I chose Belden as I knew it can handle all dirty environment around it.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.
I always like advises from a professional like you having strong technical knowledge and good experience.

Can you tell something about using US amps designed to work at 120V in India using stepdown transformers. Is there any practical problem in doing so?

Thanks

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back