Using old laptop as a htpc

Ok.. Have you enabled "expert" level settings in the Kodi media player?.. You may not have enabled passthrough under audio settings.. Could you please share screenshots of audio & video, kodi settings on your laptop.. Use imgur, image site to host pictures..
Yes I did enable pass through. But anyways potplayer is working fine for me so don't want to go back to Kodi.
Now I have to figure out what madvr is that members were talking about in other thread which improves picture quality. Could you please shed some light?

I found Kodi to be quite complicated. I don't know what happened or what I did wrong. But now Kodi I not playing videos. They are hanging and there is no sound output.
Ended up downloading potplayer and enabled audio pass-through and got DTS 2.0 written on the AVR. So that's it right? Or is there anything else to do?

Thanks for the link. Ended up downloading potplayer.
Which player are you using currently? Does MPCHC still stand at the top for you?
Potplayer still sounds better than mpchc.
You can install both abd compare.

Potplayer still sounds better than mpchc.
You can install both abd compare.
Yes i have downloaded both. Didn't find any difference per se in sound quality. Thanks for your help.
Could you also help me with what the best player would be for music? I play mp3 as well as flac and also want to try some dsd just for fun.
I tried foobar but don't know what settings I have to tinker with.

Yes i have downloaded both. Didn't find any difference per se in sound quality. Thanks for your help.
Could you also help me with what the best player would be for music? I play mp3 as well as flac and also want to try some dsd just for fun.
I tried foobar but don't know what settings I have to tinker with.
Pot player or mpc HC, both good, whichever one you feel comfortable with.

For music, foobar is the go to player. Download wasapi component from foobar components page and that's all you'll be needing.

MaSh

Last edited:
Yes I did enable pass through. But anyways potplayer is working fine for me so don't want to go back to Kodi.
Now I have to figure out what madvr is that members were talking about in other thread which improves picture quality. Could you please shed some light?

Sorry.. No experience with madvr.. Been using Kodi all these years..

The link I had posted earlier had details on how to set it up for mpchc. Not sure about pot player.

MaSh

Thank you members for your help. I did try madvr and followed the steps from a blog but it looks like my laptop isn't capable enough as it does not have a dedicated graphics card. The video starts hanging after I make changes for madvr and runs fine as soon as I reset the settings.
Anyhow I am pretty content with the video quality I get currently.

Kodi requires some research. Once you get to know the settings, you'll be amazed how good it is. I haven't come across anything that matches the looks/performance of Kodi. Apart from smartphone remote (Kore app) I can even control the navigation and start/stop using my fire stick remote. . I use Asus Chromebox as htpc.

Thank you members for your help. I did try madvr and followed the steps from a blog but it looks like my laptop isn't capable enough as it does not have a dedicated graphics card. The video starts hanging after I make changes for madvr and runs fine as soon as I reset the settings.
Anyhow I am pretty content with the video quality I get currently.

Yes madvr and also video playback in general needs a bit of help on the graphics card. You can run on default settings with bitstreaming. Also, disable all the unnecessary windows services. I would recommend a full format, reinstall of a fresh copy of Windows with only the absolutely necessary softwares installed.

MaSh

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back