Using Sony/Philips amp with audiophile speakers

alpha1

Using electronic consumer goods maker names like Sony, Philips, Aiwa, Samsung might be construed as a blasphemy on an audiophile forum.

But then, the question lingers in my mind.

1. How bad are these audio systems compared to say entry level audiophile gear.

Say:
MHC-GNZ777D : Mini Hi-Fi System : Hi-Fi System : Sony India (INR 13K)

compared to Norge 4242 + Norge MD75 (INR 13500)

2. How would the system perform, if I replace the stock speakers with Some audiophile grade entry level speakers
- say Wharfedale 9.2, etc ...

I know that the second question might not be feasible to answer because you need to have both the system at your disposal to test.

But for the first question, I guess I can expect an answer.

The problem is that you may be able to audition the Norge+Norge combo, however auditioning a mass consumer product like Sony or Philips happens only at crowded showrooms, where you really cannot make out the clarity in bass/midrange. At most you can just make out whether the bass is boomy or the treble is screechy.

Don't bother with any of the Sony Hi Fi decks sold in India. They are horrible even with their own speakers.

Philips & Samsung and much better products. They sound good with their own speaker systems and on a system like this there might be room for improvement. Don't expect too much though. The amplifiers on these Mini Hi Fi systems are over rated on the specs on so may end up struggling to drive a Norge or Tannoy. You can try.

The amp spec for these mass comsumer grade audio shows some 10% THD RMS power figures.

Does that mean even the RMS figures are misleading?

If I get it right - audiophile amps claim something like 50w rms at 0.05% THD.
now a 100w rms at 10% THD is absolutely gonna sound bad, so in order to get it to acceptable distortion levels (<1%) - we need to reduce the power output from the amp. Hence these systems really cannot go above say 10w rms if you want clarity.

Is this so?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back