using "two preamps" with tube amplifiers

BoulderBarry

HI all-
Brand new to the forum so excuse me if this question has been answered before. I have been dabbling in tube amplifiers and because my Jolida 502BRC does not have a phono preamp section, I am using a "regular" preamp (Parasound PR200) so I can use my turntable. I notice that the bass response is somewhat enhanced as compared to just playing CDs so I thought, wow, vinyl has "better" bass response than CDs (probably true) but I then hooked my CD inputs into the Parasound and noticed the enhanced bass there also- I am essentially running 2 preamps for the CD player- the Parasound preouts go to the Jolida CD player input and the sound is "different" than if I just input the CD to the Jolida without the Parasound. Am I "shooting myself" in the foot by running a solid state preamp (the Parasound) into a nice warm tube amp, or is this a "valid" thing to do. I know essentially the end product is what is important but I want the warmth and clarity of a tube amp so I am afraid I am mucking up the sound by running 2 preamps. Should I assume I would be much better off getting a nice tube phono preamp as well regarding what I do to play vinyl? I have been told the Parasound is an excellent solid state preamp.- Thanks!!!

Err, doesn't it have a bypass switch? I think this amp has bypassable preamp section. Did you try that?

If you are happy with the Parasound in the chain, it's not going to hurt you anyway. So, while it's unusual (and invalid theoretically), I don't see why you should be worried if you like the end result.

HI all-
Brand new to the forum so excuse me if this question has been answered before. I have been dabbling in tube amplifiers and because my Jolida 502BRC does not have a phono preamp section, I am using a "regular" preamp (Parasound PR200) so I can use my turntable. I notice that the bass response is somewhat enhanced as compared to just playing CDs so I thought, wow, vinyl has "better" bass response than CDs (probably true) but I then hooked my CD inputs into the Parasound and noticed the enhanced bass there also- I am essentially running 2 preamps for the CD player- the Parasound preouts go to the Jolida CD player input and the sound is "different" than if I just input the CD to the Jolida without the Parasound. Am I "shooting myself" in the foot by running a solid state preamp (the Parasound) into a nice warm tube amp, or is this a "valid" thing to do. I know essentially the end product is what is important but I want the warmth and clarity of a tube amp so I am afraid I am mucking up the sound by running 2 preamps. Should I assume I would be much better off getting a nice tube phono preamp as well regarding what I do to play vinyl? I have been told the Parasound is an excellent solid state preamp.- Thanks!!!

With 2 preamps in the chain; CDP | Parasound | Jolida, 2 things are happening
(1) Much more Gain now to the Jolida 502BRC than what was arriving earlier
(2) Change of impedances (with the possibility of the SS Parasound's output impedance being low) so its pushing lot more current thru the IC into the Jolida Integrated amp's input

And you're hearing this as "more louder and better bass response". There could be a scope of the Jolida's input stage being grossly overloaded which may not be a good thing so caution needs to be advocated. And tubes handle excess distortion due to gross overload much more kindly than SS so you may not even hear it to bug you or irritate you.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back