Velodyne Impact 12 - auto standby issues!!

@mpw: :-@

@ santy: lolz... If it was haunted, i would rather keep it... Always wanted to befriend a ghost :D have already spoken to lokesh from htstore...

:lol: reading this the first time I thought that you made the ghost (aka "Lokesh") a friend ;)

so guys i have sent my subwoofer back to htstore for replacement.... will keep this thread updated...

PS: i had to send the sub via courier and it cost me 1000 rs... should i bear that charges or is it fair to ask for a refund of those charges??

what is the general policy when we receive a defective hifi item??

so guys i have sent my subwoofer back to htstore for replacement.... will keep this thread updated...

PS: i had to send the sub via courier and it cost me 1000 rs... should i bear that charges or is it fair to ask for a refund of those charges??

what is the general policy when we receive a defective hifi item??
If unit is faulty,dealer should bear it.But online shopping can be a different story.

@ spirovious: no such switch... If there was one i would ve gladly turned it off :-(

I have Velodyne EQ-MAX 10 and EQ-MAX 12. Both of them have a switch in the back that toggles between "Auto Standby" and "Always On". I have kept both of my subs to "Always On" mode.

Hi

Would suggest you go through the subwoofer manual word by word....setups in haste often misses a step here and there which is crucial....

in your AVR, check Bass settings and LFE levels.....Impact 12 can easily handle 40 or 60 hz.

Would suggest if you have a close friend who has an AVR, you take the subwoofer to him /her and check...just to clear doubts about the subs performance.

Update:

Sub was faulty, the amount i paid for the subwoofer refunded (Rs.30,000), a 1000rs loss for me as i paid the courier charges for sending the sub back.

Frankly i didn't mind because i did not like the sub much... It was too boomy for my room,
and so i'm on the lookout for another sub.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi all
suffice it to say that I also had the same issue wherein the sub was not coming out if standby unless a really bass heavy signal hit it or the volume was really cranked up. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and I usually listen at -35 to -28db levels in my Yamaha RXV475 AVR connected to Dali Zensor 7s and a Vokal centre. The solution was increasing the AVR subwoofer gain to +7 ot +7.5 on a scale of 10 and correspondingly reducing the volume dial on the sub itself to a 11 o clock position.
My question is that on trolling through some other forums, there were some opinions expressed that for best results in terms of subwoofer output quality, it is always better to stick to 0db or negative levels in the AVR and increasing the volume at the back of the sub to avoid signal clipping and having more dynamic headroom. Is this really an issue? Unfortunately, this would mean my sub will not come out of standby at lower volumes especially with s so quality MP3s and movies. Am I degrading the LFE signal from my AVR to the sub becasue the AVR gain is set so high?

As for myself, I do not perceive any loss of quality in the sub output, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
Harsha

Hi Folks
Some thoughts on the below? Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Harsha

Hi all
suffice it to say that I also had the same issue wherein the sub was not coming out if standby unless a really bass heavy signal hit it or the volume was really cranked up. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and I usually listen at -35 to -28db levels in my Yamaha RXV475 AVR connected to Dali Zensor 7s and a Vokal centre. The solution was increasing the AVR subwoofer gain to +7 ot +7.5 on a scale of 10 and correspondingly reducing the volume dial on the sub itself to a 11 o clock position.
My question is that on trolling through some other forums, there were some opinions expressed that for best results in terms of subwoofer output quality, it is always better to stick to 0db or negative levels in the AVR and increasing the volume at the back of the sub to avoid signal clipping and having more dynamic headroom. Is this really an issue? Unfortunately, this would mean my sub will not come out of standby at lower volumes especially with s so quality MP3s and movies. Am I degrading the LFE signal from my AVR to the sub becasue the AVR gain is set so high?

As for myself, I do not perceive any loss of quality in the sub output, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
Harsha

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back