Videocon D2H DD 5.1 Problem

amit.ishu

Hi All,

I am using STB 2222 white box..

Most HD channels of D2H giving fake DD 5.1 sound , yesterday I checked this on Discovery HD, Zee Studio HD, Movies Now HD, star Gold HD and on other HD channels....while on display it shows DD 5.1 sound...

I removed the wire from center speaker and found that human vocal/voice was coming from left and right speakers.....while vocal should come only from center speaker.

Only Star Movies HD channel is giving true/real DD 5.1 sound...

So my questions

(1) I have connected STB to HT with HDMI cable , when I called CC they told me DD sound will come only through coaxial cable...I told them I m getting DD sound through HDMI but it is fake...finally they were not able to answer my question....
Will it make any difference If I connect my STB to HT with coaxial cable ??

(2) does other DTH provider is also making public fool by providing fake DD 5.1 sound, is anyone check this on Tata sky HD or on other DTH box ??

yes many do fake 5.1 . There are several older threads on this forum which depicts the same. One very popular I remember is "Wandering Center Channel on Nat Geo channel " for Tata Sky :)

yes many do fake 5.1 . There are several older threads on this forum which depicts the same. One very popular I remember is "Wandering Center Channel on Nat Geo channel " for Tata Sky :)

I have gone through those threads...but still want to know is this problem from Videocon side or it is from broadcaster side ??

Even when I was watching sleepy hollow 2 days back on Zee Studio , dialog was coming from rear speaker as well....:eek:

I am also using D2h. Yes most HD channels do not produce the true surround sound. Star Gold, new movies I have noticed some times produce true sound so as Star Movies.

guys, no one answer me : I ask simple " is this problem from DTH provider(D2H or Tata Sky) or it is from broadcaster side ??

guys, no one answer me : I ask simple " is this problem from DTH provider(D2H or Tata Sky) or it is from broadcaster side ??

It is from Broadcaster buddy. Else wont be consistent throughout Airtel,D2H and Tatasky.

Rest assured. Service proider is not fooling you. Heck i am sure they dont even understand these technicals neither have time to experiment this stuff.

Channel owners are fooling us to save bandwidth space- as the lesser quality sound, the saved space can be used for better picture.

Last edited:
I have my TS HD + in my dedicated HT Room with high end Denon 7.1 and Videocon in my Hall hooked to yamaha HTR 198, however videocon 5.1 audio is sub standard. It's an issue with Videocon D2h

I have my TS HD + in my dedicated HT Room with high end Denon 7.1 and Videocon in my Hall hooked to yamaha HTR 198, however videocon 5.1 audio is sub standard. It's an issue with Videocon D2h

Yes that could be possible that the overall quality of audio is better in Tsky. But for this thread I guess you are going to a different branch from the current issue. The key question the OP has is whether Fake 5.1 Audio in some HD channels has anything to do with service provider. For this specific issue, i have practically checked D2H at friend's house and tsky at mine that the channels giving true and ones giving fake are the same in either case. In other words, the better quality from Tsky does not correct the specific deficiency of fake 5.1.

Yes that could be possible that the overall quality of audio is better in Tsky. But for this thread I guess you are going to a different branch from the current issue. The key question the OP has is whether Fake 5.1 Audio in some HD channels has anything to do with service provider. For this specific issue, i have practically checked D2H at friend's house and tsky at mine that the channels giving true and ones giving fake are the same in either case. In other words, the better quality from Tsky does not correct the specific deficiency of fake 5.1.

as per your reply Tata sky HD+ has better sound quality but it also produce fake 5.1 sound in some channels.....

Can you please tell me which DTH provider Tata Sky HD+ or Vediocon D2H has more channels with fake 5.1 sound ?

Since sound quality of Tata Sky is better than vediocon D2H then replacing my D2H with Tata sky will be better choice as I am movie freak...

In my case Dish HD provides real DD 5.1 in Movies Now channel, however the bass is a bit overpowering and I have to adjust the AVR settings to compensate. Rest surround effect is good.

as per your reply Tata sky HD+ has better sound quality but it also produce fake 5.1 sound in some channels.....

Can you please tell me which DTH provider Tata Sky HD+ or Vediocon D2H has more channels with fake 5.1 sound ?

Since sound quality of Tata Sky is better than vediocon D2H then replacing my D2H with Tata sky will be better choice as I am movie freak...

I did not understand what part of my prev post did u not understand. I am pretty sure I already answered all these questions in that post.

Q. Can you please tell me which DTH provider Tata Sky HD+ or Vediocon D2H has more channels with fake 5.1 sound ?
A. I Already said "the channels with fake and ones with true 5.1 are identical in either case" and I have practically done that comparison.

Q. as per your reply Tata sky HD+ has better sound quality but it also produce fake 5.1 sound in some channels
A. No brother. I said 'better sound quality could be possible in Tsky' because I have not done this comparison. ravidharap is the right person to ask this. And for the zillionth time, service provider is not producing fake sound. Broadcaster is.

Q. replacing my D2H with Tata sky will be better choice
A. I already said Tsky will not fix the fake 5.1 issue even if there is possibility that the fake ones's will sound better on it. Its your call in this case.

I did not understand what part of my prev post did u not understand. I am pretty sure I already answered all these questions in that post.

Q. Can you please tell me which DTH provider Tata Sky HD+ or Vediocon D2H has more channels with fake 5.1 sound ?
A. I Already said "the channels with fake and ones with true 5.1 are identical in either case" and I have practically done that comparison.

Q. as per your reply Tata sky HD+ has better sound quality but it also produce fake 5.1 sound in some channels
A. No brother. I said 'better sound quality could be possible in Tsky' because I have not done this comparison. ravidharap is the right person to ask this. And for the zillionth time, service provider is not producing fake sound. Broadcaster is.

Q. replacing my D2H with Tata sky will be better choice
A. I already said Tsky will not fix the fake 5.1 issue even if there is possibility that the fake ones's will sound better on it. Its your call in this case.

Thanks bro for clearing all my confusion.....I really appreciate your reply...

In my case Dish HD provides real DD 5.1 in Movies Now channel, however the bass is a bit overpowering and I have to adjust the AVR settings to compensate. Rest surround effect is good.

It will be great if you can please do some practical by switching off the center speaker and then check who-all HD channels providing dialog/vocal from left and right speakers....

Since you have both DTH, so can you please clear below queries :

(1) which one has better sound quality and pic ? tata sky or D2H ?

(2) In Videocon D2H , I can hear dialog/vocal from left and right
speakers from almost all HD channels like Zee Studio,Movies Now,discovery etc ...so can you please do some practical and confirm that what-all channels in tata sky produce fake DD 5.1 sound by switching off center speaker ??

Looking at the reports of fake 5.1 by all broadcasters/dth providers - it it even worth to go for 5.1 setup ?
Or just wait for 6m-1yr when more of hd channels with true 5.1 come and can buy better & latest products?

Looking at the reports of fake 5.1 by all broadcasters/dth providers - it it even worth to go for 5.1 setup ?
Or just wait for 6m-1yr when more of hd channels with true 5.1 come and can buy better & latest products?

All HD channels of star network, Colors HD and the two HBO HD channels. We are talking about 10-12 true 5.1 channels here and with the limited per day average viewing time available for common man these days, I believe thats more than sufficient options for 5.1 set up to be worth it.

It will be great if you can please do some practical by switching off the center speaker and then check who-all HD channels providing dialog/vocal from left and right speakers....

I stopped playing 5.1 through STB long back, reason is the annoying ads (did not subscribe to the ad-free channels separately). So for serious movie viewing it is always HTPC.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back