videocon d2h HD review but how to use spdif for dolby?

Santanu Ghosh

Hi,
Recently hooked up Videocon D2H HD(Platinum HD pack).At first I would like to give my reviews:-

* PQ & SQ of SD/HD is very good and at par with TS.
* Box is small and goodlooking / Remote & menu interface is userfriendly.
*Package is much cheaper than other DTH providers with max HD channels

But one problem is that dolby sound is not coming through HDMI.Pls tell me where can I buy online spdif cable and how to connect it with AVR/TV

PS:I am facing a weird problem with this box.My AVR is connected with the ARC supported HDMI port my TV.If I switch on the box before the TV or both simultaneously then no audio is routed back to the AVR(even pendrive attached to TV is not passing sound to AVR).This entire problem is solved if I switch on the box after switching on the Tv

Use any spare AV cable for digital coaxial connection. Usually the DTH box comes bundled with a 3 pin RCA cable. Use one of the cable for the digital connection and there is no need to go for expensive cables. If you need branded cables then look for Bandridge, Belkin, Profilink etc. which are not too costly.

I am using D2h HD recorder since almost 1.5 yrs with Denon 2112 AVR and 42" phillips. HDMI is connected to HDMI in AVR. A single Coaxial RCA cable is connected to the "Orange" SPDIF coaxial out of D2h DVR and plugged into the Coaxial IN of Denon.

Then from the DENON setup, I do source input setup to have HDMI/Coaxial . So Video is fed in via HDMI and 5.1 audio is fed in via Coaxial.

The TV is form HDMI out of Denon.

Super Setup and works great without any glitches.

^^ Change settings from`Stereo' to `Home Cinema' in STB. I have made these connections after receiving advice from FMs and am able to play all devices without any problem. Only `source' in the AVR is to be selected :
STB(SPDIF)---Co-ax--> Coax-in of AVR ;STB--HDMI-->TV; DVDP(Vid out)--RCA--->TV; DVDP(co-ax out)---Co-ax-->AVR; TV(earphone)--Stereo to RCA cable-->AVR Audio in.
TV speakers are not being used at all.

Do I need to make any changes in the settings of AVR?
I connected the STB(HDMI) to AVR(HDMI) & STB(coaxial port) to AVR(coaxial port).
But no sound is coming in dolby mode.
Pls help.....

You need to assign the coaxial port to the HDMI port. The setting is under Menu > Input Setup > Input Assign. Also set the Input Mode to 'Digital' under Input Setup so that coaxial is used instead of hdmi for audio.

baijuxavior - You rock dude. I was wondering why I wasnt getting the sound through coaxial cable. I didnt set it up in the amp. Thanks much.:yahoo:

but now I am not able to control the volume through videocon's remote.... is this expected?

Yes i think this is normal. SD channels should still be controllable from d2h remote but for for HD channels u ll be able to only mute the volume from STB. Basically its like STB is bypassing the audio signal to ur AVR.

Simple solution to above is a universal remote control. u can configure it to always change channels via STB and always control volume through AVR. solves the hassle of 2 remotes.

I got Videocon HD STB installed on 3rd AUgust. I am getting 5.1 audio via HDMI. No Coaxial Connection from STB to AVR is needed.

My connection is like this:

STB (HDMI) --> AVR HDMI-in port
AVR HDMI out --> TV HDMI in port

Selected audio source as HDMI in port in the AVR ( I have Yamaha YHT-196 HT system).

I am getting 5.1 Dolby Digital audio in many HD channels. I selected DD Prologi II as audio enhancement in the Yamaha AVR. But whenever there is DD audio is available, AVR automatically switches to Dolby Digital Mode and displays it. So for HD channels with Dd, I am getting Dolby Digital. For others, I have DD Prologic II which is a simulated 5.1.

We also have to select "Home Cinema" in the Videocon HD STB to get 5.1 audio. It is under Settings--> Installation-->Box Settings-->Audio. If it asks for password, the default password is "1234".

Hope this helps.

I got Videocon HD STB installed on 3rd AUgust. I am getting 5.1 audio via HDMI. No Coaxial Connection from STB to AVR is needed.

My connection is like this:

STB (HDMI) --> AVR HDMI-in port
AVR HDMI out --> TV HDMI in port

Selected audio source as HDMI in port in the AVR ( I have Yamaha YHT-196 HT system).

I am getting 5.1 Dolby Digital audio in many HD channels. I selected DD Prologi II as audio enhancement in the Yamaha AVR. But whenever there is DD audio is available, AVR automatically switches to Dolby Digital Mode and displays it. So for HD channels with Dd, I am getting Dolby Digital. For others, I have DD Prologic II which is a simulated 5.1.

We also have to select "Home Cinema" in the Videocon HD STB to get 5.1 audio. It is under Settings--> Installation-->Box Settings-->Audio. If it asks for password, the default password is "1234".

Hope this helps.

With my STB I couldn't do it without Coaxial Connection. It could be that videocon made some changes in their box. I got mine in May 2012.

With my STB I couldn't do it without Coaxial Connection. It could be that videocon made some changes in their box. I got mine in May 2012.
I am also facing same problem.
My connection is as follows
STB > HD TV through HDMI,
TV ARC HDMI> SONY HTRT3.
But I think my Videocon TV ARC is not capable of passing 5.1 through hdmi

I am also facing same problem.
My connection is as follows
STB > HD TV through HDMI,
TV ARC HDMI> SONY HTRT3.
But I think my Videocon TV ARC is not capable of passing 5.1 through hdmi

Check the settings based on the model of STB and even the TV........

Check the settings based on the model of STB and even the TV........
Finally I was able to find Dolby digital setting option in the d2h. But when I select Dolby digital sound no sound is coming from HT.
I guess my Videocon TV is not capable of passing DD sound through ARC. I will try spdif to optical cable. Thanks for your help.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back