Videocon D2H initial impressions

Have noticed something strange now. If I am playing HD channels, lowering the volume on remote does not change the volume, will have to change the volume on the TV itself. With SD channels, its alright. Anybody else noticed this?

Since the output is Dolby for hd channels , the videocon remote volume does not responds to it ,eiether avr or tv remote only changes the volume .I think that may be issue.Technically i dont know watz the reason behind it.

Have noticed something strange now. If I am playing HD channels, lowering the volume on remote does not change the volume, will have to change the volume on the TV itself. With SD channels, its alright. Anybody else noticed this?

Volume of DD audio cannot be changed in the stb. Change the audio settings of stb to use pcm audio instead of DD.

Traded my multi room sd connection for an hd box. This hd box is the one that allows unlimited recording via your own external hard drive connected to usb. The good thing about the new box is it has standard Composite, Component and HDMI connections. Another really good addition is the rf remote. Works without a hitch. Slim remote too and nice feel to the buttons. On the overall, its a much better finished product. You can keep the box completely out of sight so a less clutter around your av gear. The set top box comes with a external power unit (Not a wall wart) that connects via a S Video like cable for power. Provision to wall mount the set top box and power unit. The bad news is the interface remains slow as ever. Unless you've got your frequently viewed channels stored under favorites, its a slow run via the guide.

Hi
Any way to get dd from d2h old hd box 2011 with samsung ht455k.. Problem is sounds goes to mute when select DD
My setup for getting dd is
Stb to tv via hdmi
Ht to tv via hdmi
Tv to ht via optical

I like the D2H service but really struggle with the ultra slow interface. Is there any other better STB than the White 222 something model? I dont care much for view recording, but I need a box that is more responsive.

I am going for a HD swap from SD. should I get the 555 model or 2222 STB?
Which STB support hdmi CEC so that I can use my TV remote with it from flipping channels? I am really apprehensive about the poor quality remote reports from FMs.

G

FYI I got the new STB 2244 model and it is awesome. All the problems with the 2222 are rectified. The rf remote has one of the best ergonomics I have seen and the buttons are responsive. A real pleasure to hold in the hand - great design and shape!! Beats the remotes from other HiFi brands hands down.

HD PQ is awesome!! Better than what you see in showrooms from other cable providers. SD is mostly great too except a few channels like DD national.

G

Last edited:
I bought Videocon D2H in February this year. I subscribed for Platinum HD pack (ROI) for Rs. 480 p.m. However, since then videocon has raised prices 2 times. First it was increased to 520 and now 550!

In comparison the Ultra pack of Airtel with HD was coming to Rs. 605 in February, whereas now its increased to 625 only (450+175).

Apart from the fact that videocon is losing its VFM tag, I want to know what is the reason for these spike in prices? (not specific to videocon). I really don't see any "helpful" channels being added to the kitty. For eg. a few months ago, 4 new HD channels were started, all south Indian. Useless for me since I do not understand any of the languages. Am I also paying for these?

Do the DTH operators have a free-hand for charging customers whatever they deem fit?

So you upgraded? Have you tried Airtel? Bear with me. I am digging too much into this these days :p
FYI I got the new STB 2244 model and it is awesome. All the problems with the 2222 are rectified. The rf remote has one of the best ergonomics I have seen and the buttons are responsive. A real pleasure to hold in the hand - great design and shape!! Beats the remotes from other HiFi brands hands down.

HD PQ is awesome!! Better than what you see in showrooms from other cable providers. SD is mostly great too except a few channels like DD national.

G

Last edited:
Whenever I switch to hd channel with dolby digital, I have to manually change the audio to dolby digital 5.1 each time. Isn't there any other way so the audio settings for hd channels are saved.

i just changed to the new box (with rf remote) yesterday. Its good. There is a noticeable change in the clarity of the channels,even in the HD channels. The stereo sound is also better.
Haven't checked the DD sound, so cant comment.
Even my mom said, Malayalam channels are more clear after the new one is installed.

I am just loving the PQ on most of the channels. I was flabbergasted to watch a grain free and speck free B&W movie from the 50s last week. And to think, I purchased an SD CRT TV and suffered using it for last two years in the stubborn belief that PQ would be better on a non HDTV...

G
How is the responsiveness? Is the UI fast to operate in STB2244? SLuggish UI is the biggest problem I have with the 2222 HD STB.

The STB menu changes are quick by itself, but the channel takes time to start streaming ,.. 2-3 secs at least, and al!most like internet streaming experience. But after that PQ is awesome and no bw consumed.

G

One major drawback I am facing is that the EPG doesn't get updated. i.e. I can see what is playing now and which is the next program but that's all. I can't see anymore.

I believe the reason behind this is that each time we change a channel, the EPG information gets downloaded again, thats also possibly the reason for slow channel change. I have noticed that in TS & Airtel, after first start up it takes some time for the EPG to load up but then as long the STB is powered, the information remains up to date.

With this sluggish UI and crappy remote, am thinking to move away. The main reason for going with videocon was because it was cheaper. Earlier for the highest pack with HD there was difference of Rs. 124 PM between Airtel and Videocon, now its just Rs. 75.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back