Videocon D2H initial impressions

I took videocon d2h lHD ast month and I am really disappointed with the stb and remote quality of videocon....It is my first month with videocon and I am seriously thinking to go with other available option. Remote keys are too hard and channel changing time is around five seconds...why can't they provide good hardware ??

I purchased Videocon D2H HD (South Platinum) last month, here are some things
1. HD PQ is pretty good (perhaps having good TV is plus)
2. SD PQ is so-so but it is expected
3. Cheaper compared to other providers with more channels
4. Remote control is bad, feels cheap, bad HW buttons
5. Channel change lag is around 3 seconds, UI is terrible.

Given above, my take is that once you get used to the remote it is not a huge deal to wait for 3 seconds for channel change since the PQ is very good and easily as same as TataSky or Airtel HD.

I would advise people to do a demo and decide, to me it is more than sufficient.

My TV: Sony 47W850A

4. Remote control is bad, feels cheap, bad HW buttons
5. Channel change lag is around 3 seconds, UI is terrible.

@m2maddy

Even my Videocon D2H unit was suffering from the same issues, that you have highlighted. I raised a compliant with the Customer Care this week. The technician came and updated the software and replaced the remote. Now the response times are better than before, it still lags, but not that much.

Heard from him that many people complain about the response times and the remote and mine is the third he replaced in my locality in this week.

@m2maddy

Even my Videocon D2H unit was suffering from the same issues, that you have highlighted. I raised a compliant with the Customer Care this week. The technician came and updated the software and replaced the remote. Now the response times are better than before, it still lags, but not that much.

Heard from him that many people complain about the response times and the remote and mine is the third he replaced in my locality in this week.

I think software us automatically updated ......... still I will raise a complain.. let us see what can be done

finally complaint is raised and customer care of videocon is really fast..... I got my remote replaced with new one.... it was the problem of remote only and new remote is working smoothly....channel change time is still around three to four second.... I just want to know that other dth like Tata sky or Airtel is also taking three to four second???

I tried to connect My New "WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0" with STB model 2233 for recording. STB detect it easily and asked for format the drive. I press OK. formatting drive started.. after 40 Minutes formatting Stops and message on screen "Drive cannot use anymore".
What is the solution for this issue? As I already talked with videocon customer care, they have no technical solution. Hard drive is perfectly working with windows 7.

I tried to connect My New "WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0" with STB model 2233 for recording. STB detect it easily and asked for format the drive. I press OK. formatting drive started.. after 40 Minutes formatting Stops and message on screen "Drive cannot use anymore".
What is the solution for this issue? As I already talked with videocon customer care, they have no technical solution. Hard drive is perfectly working with windows 7.

don't try again to connect videocon d2h stb with hdd, as per customer care it won't work.My seagate 500gb hard disk conked out when i tried formating with videcon d2h stb.It was not usable even with laptop.Since it was under warranty i was able to get replacement from seagate.other wise it will be gone for ever.

don't try again to connect videocon d2h stb with hdd, as per customer care it won't work.My seagate 500gb hard disk conked out when i tried formating with videcon d2h stb.It was not usable even with laptop.Since it was under warranty i was able to get replacement from seagate.other wise it will be gone for ever.

But My 4 GB pendrive working properly. It means only Pendrive can work. anybody using 32 GB pendrive with videocon d2h stb? I am thinking to buy 32 GB pendrive.

I have tried 16GB pendrive and it works. Probably the stb is unable to support large hdds. Try connecting the hdd to a powered hub.

But My 4 GB pendrive working properly. It means only Pendrive can work. anybody using 32 GB pendrive with videocon d2h stb? I am thinking to buy 32 GB pendrive.

it will work perfectly for 32gb pen drive im using it for six mons no issues.

Hi,

I just got a Videocon D2H HD STB 2233. I had 2 queries regarding the set up and a problem I am having. If someone can please reply or guide me to a appropriate post.

1. I am having sound lag, specially in HD channels. The video comes first, sound around a sec later. Is this STB problem which needs to be changed, or just a Videocon problem.
2. I have a HD TV, HTS and now this videocon STB, wanted to get Dolby Digital through my HTS, for which I have done the following interconnections :-

It goes as follows :-

1. Videocon D2H (HD Digi STB - 2233)
2. Samsung LED full HDTV (UA40F5100)
3. Sony HTS (DAV-DZ340K)

Now, the aim is to get Dolby SS from Videocon D2H as well as from TV if you connect your HDD to TV USB port to watch a movie.

The set up goes like this :-

1. Connect Videocon to TV via HDMI. (this should send both AV to TV).
2. Connect TV to HTS via HDMI2. (The TV should be having at least 2 HDMI ports)(this will send video of HTS to TV).
3. Connect Audio Out from TV to Audio in (RW) of HTS. (this will send audio from TV to HTS)(my sony didn't had any coaxial SPDIF or Optical).

Via this sort of connection both AV goes from STB to TV, you see the video Output on TV, and as 3rd part explained TV's Audio out goes to HTS, so you get Surround Sound from STB as well as if you connect your Hard Drive to watch a movie through TV.

This is all DIY, and I get Dolby SS, do let me know if this helped, or if someone else can tell if I can set this up any better? Thanks.

Hi People,

Today my Videocon D2H has been installed with HD set top box with recording facility(not DVR). I am unable to get the Dolby sound from HD channels.

I have connected my TV to Denon avr through HDMI and optical. When I choose the second language as dolby through pressing yellow button, I am not getting any sound.

It would be really helpful if anyone can help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

You should connect the stb's hdmi or coaxial out directly to avr. Connecting to TV and then using the optical out of TV won't give DD sound. Your options are:

STB HDMI OUT > AVR HDMI IN > AVR HDMI OUT > TV HDMI IN

or

STB HDMI OUT > TV HDMI IN and STB COAXIAL OUT > AVR COAXIAL IN (Recommended).

Sorry for delayed reply and many thanks to Falcon21 and baijuxavior for replying my question.

I got the DD sound using STB HDMI OUT > AVR HDMI IN > AVR HDMI OUT > TV HDMI IN.

I was expecting to get DD using STB HDMI OUT> TV HDMI IN > TV OPTICAL OUT > AVR OPTICAL IN.

Now the problem is my STB is not recognising my 1TB 2.0 USB, however can recognise my 16 and 32 GB pen drive. Is it possible to record in 1TB HDD, if yes, please let me know how.

Sorry for delayed reply and many thanks to Falcon21 and baijuxavior for replying my question.

I got the DD sound using STB HDMI OUT > AVR HDMI IN > AVR HDMI OUT > TV HDMI IN.

I was expecting to get DD using STB HDMI OUT> TV HDMI IN > TV OPTICAL OUT > AVR OPTICAL IN.

Now the problem is my STB is not recognising my 1TB 2.0 USB, however can recognise my 16 and 32 GB pen drive. Is it possible to record in 1TB HDD, if yes, please let me know how.

No it can't detect hdd.only pen drives can be used .

I have connected this way STB HDMI-> TV OPT out -> AVR. I am getting DD for HD channels.

So we shld use only pen drives ???? How much space needed to record a HD movie of 2 hrs from star movies / Movies now ? Is it possible to replay in DD again right ?

I tried recording world cup in 8GB and found that I was able to record only 45min or so. I have ordered a 32GB pen drive hoping that it will be enough to record a 2.5-3 hr program. Will be trying it out during the weekend.

Have noticed something strange now. If I am playing HD channels, lowering the volume on remote does not change the volume, will have to change the volume on the TV itself. With SD channels, its alright. Anybody else noticed this?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back