Videocon D2H initial impressions

Videocon D2h has introduced 4 new HD channels :
1. Sun HD
2. Sun Music HD
3. KTV HD
4. Gemini HD

Enjoy...

Yes, It's available as a package (New South Platinum HD) and add-on. I've subscribed the package and the difference is amazing. Really amazing. However, only Sun HD is true HD with Dolby sound output. Sun Music providing 5.1 sound but Picture is only 4:3.

Rest of them is just a stretched thing. However, It's a great move by d2h and it's really good watching regional movies in HD with dolby sound. I've one doubt here, Is Sun HD ad free during movies?

I have got confused, I am cable user and looking for first time DTH
(was using Hathway HD, but my local cable guy sold it to "in" cable which is big crap. After big fight, they give me one HD box with 10 HD channels which are crap too)

After some reading, found that D2H seems good choice for my viewing but confused about the cost.

I just need all the HD channels (27HD what DTH provides) and all Telugu channels.

How much does it cost? Any suggestions.

Thanks.

I have got confused, I am cable user and looking for first time DTH
(was using Hathway HD, but my local cable guy sold it to "in" cable which is big crap. After big fight, they give me one HD box with 10 HD channels which are crap too)

After some reading, found that D2H seems good choice for my viewing but confused about the cost.

I just need all the HD channels (27HD what DTH provides) and all Telugu channels.

How much does it cost? Any suggestions.

Thanks.

You have to subscribe to "New South Platinum HD" pack which costs you Rs. 540 per month.

Yes, It's available as a package (New South Platinum HD) and add-on. I've subscribed the package and the difference is amazing. Really amazing. However, only Sun HD is true HD with Dolby sound output. Sun Music providing 5.1 sound but Picture is only 4:3.

Rest of them is just a stretched thing. However, It's a great move by d2h and it's really good watching regional movies in HD with dolby sound. I've one doubt here, Is Sun HD ad free during movies?

All content except old songs on Sun Music HD are true D, having black bars doe not man that its not true HD. Infact Black BARS R THERE BCOZ CONTENT IS BEING TELECASTED IN ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO. Also see closely picture won't be stretced like it happens in upscaled or standard definition chs

You have to subscribe to "New South Platinum HD" pack which costs you Rs. 540 per month.

Thanks.
Though I take New South Platinum HD, I still need to take addon of 'MAA World'.

I don't see any Maa channels listed in Gold/Platimum HD packs?

Can someone clarify.

In fact, on their web site, TV5 listed twice (in South Platinum HD pack) to give impressions of higher count.

Last edited:
I am very confused between Airtel and Videocon....PQ is important to me and so is the cost. Videocon is 124 Rs. P.M. cheaper to Airtel and also gives more channels (i think).

How much inferior is the PQ of D2H compared to Airtel?

Someone mentioned that the D2H stb takes 20 seconds to load and it take 3-4 seconds to change channels. Is this issue still there?

PQ of HD channels is almost the same in any platform. D2H takes around 30 seconds to boot and yea the channel change may take more than 5 seconds sometimes.

I agree PQ of HD is almost same in all the platforms but i feel it depends on the size of the screen and how much distance you are seated.

I have a 46' and the position I am seated approx 10 ft I tried no of times to see the difference between SD quality and HD quality of the same channel which are next to next channels in D2H. Frankly I did not find much of difference. I struggled to check the hair strands visibility etc., but felt not much difference. Ofcourse HD channels transmit surround sound if you are making use of it. I feel proabably when you take a HD STB the SD quality also improves a bit from the SD STB.

Regarding booting of 30 secs or more- why do we expect to boot in a jiffy when we are waiting for almost half minute or more to boot our computer/laptop.

Flipping the channels - yes it is a bit of annoyance but over the time you get used to the sluggishness.

Last edited:
Finally I took the plunge and got D2H HD. A couple of questions:

I connected the STB->Coax->Onkyo HTS3300. I was watching ramleela today afternoon on Sony HD & I noticed after every few (10-30) secs the voice was cutting briefly, not even 1 sec. But it was happening quite frequently so was causing some annoyance. Any ideas why this would be happening?

The remote buttons are very hard. Few buttons work easily but few other need to be pressed very hard. The installation guy suggested that within a few days the remote will get easier. Does it happen? or should I get it changed. Looking at the build quality I feel even the replaced remote will be like this one only.

The installation guy suggested that within a few days the remote will get easier. Does it happen? or should I get it changed. Looking at the build quality I feel even the replaced remote will be like this one only.
I guess the installer meant you'll get used to that damn remote, not that it will get better with time, because it does not :sad: IIRC another FM indicated somewhere on HFV that Videocon appears to be readying a firmware update that may address this problem.

Thanks jsmithe

Would appreciate if someone throws some light on this query as well (it got lost since the page is changed now).

I connected the STB->Coax->Onkyo HTS3300. I was watching ramleela today afternoon on Sony HD & I noticed after every few (10-30) secs the voice was cutting briefly, not even 1 sec. But it was happening quite frequently so was causing some annoyance. Any ideas why this would be happening?

One more query.....Do we get a universal remote with IR & RF so I can control my TV, HT & STB? (For approx. Rs. 1k - 1.5k)

Thanks jsmithe

Would appreciate if someone throws some light on this query as well (it got lost since the page is changed now).

One more query.....Do we get a universal remote with IR & RF so I can control my TV, HT & STB? (For approx. Rs. 1k - 1.5k)

Universal remote is IR, it won't be able to control the d2h box as the new white remotes are RF and work on radio frequency.

Thanks jsmithe

I haven't seen this issue thus far. Is it happening on all HD channels, all SD channels or only on some of them? If it's just the one channel, then it could well be a problem with that particular channel. If it's all of them, I would suspect an STB issue or a coax cable issue(rather rare). If the problem is reproducible, have Videocon send out a support person so that you can have them take a first hand look.

I'm ruling out the AVR, presuming you are sure it works fine with other DD sources coming in on the coax input.

If your STB has DD over HDMI and your AVR supports HDMI try a HDMI cable to see if that resolves the problem. If it does, it could well be that the coax port/cable has a problem.

Looks like there are universal IR/RF remotes (eg.) :

Amazon.com : IR/RF Universal Remote : Audio Video Remote Controls : Electronics
Amazon.com : URC MasterControl RF20 Universal Learning Remote with RF Capability : Audio Video Remote Controls : Electronics

Not sure about the availability in India though. Nor have I used any of these.

Last edited:
Took the plunge 2 days back. Bought Videocon d2h HD. Paid 1900 + 200 (for recording) and 300 for the cable joints.
Satisfied with the picture quality. Actually, love it.
There is a lag with the menu especially when viewing HD channels. is it the same for everyone? The set does not respond to remote inputs at times when watching HD.
otherwise pretty ok.
I also noticed that STB has an ethernet port behind. does it work? I am yet to connect this to the LAN.

There is a lag with the menu especially when viewing HD channels. is it the same for everyone?
Lag it most certainly does, though I haven't yet noticed that it lags more when on a HD channel. Will keep an eye open for this behavior.

The set does not respond to remote inputs at times when watching HD.
otherwise pretty ok.
Yes, it sometimes does that, but I guess you'll eventually get used to it after cursing Videocon a bit or maybe a lot.

I also noticed that STB has an ethernet port behind. does it work?

Doesn't work as yet on my 222 STB.

Here is an observation.
I have conntected from the STB to my HK AVR. The sound does not come out thru the TV.
From the reciever, when I select Audio out from HDMI to TV, i observe a weird behaviour. The sound and video starts alternating. I keep losing the video signal on the TV. If I turn off audio out thru HDMI, things start being normal. Anyone experiencing this?

Hi. Iam using TataSky HD with my projector via Component out. TataSky has limited the resolution via component to 576i as against 1080i through HDMI. Does Videocon HD gives 1080i through Component out? My projector does not have HDMI.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back