Videocon D2H initial impressions

Here is an observation.
I have conntected from the STB to my HK AVR. The sound does not come out thru the TV.
From the reciever, when I select Audio out from HDMI to TV, i observe a weird behaviour. The sound and video starts alternating. I keep losing the video signal on the TV. If I turn off audio out thru HDMI, things start being normal. Anyone experiencing this?

I am not sure why you are experiencing this, but a simpler way to setup the system would be to connect STB directly to the TV through HDMI. And connect the STB & receiver by Optical cable.

Planning to buy videocon d2h HD STB. But confused with the normal HD STB and HD DVR STB. Is there any difference in picture and sound quality in these STBs?

I am not sure why you are experiencing this, but a simpler way to setup the system would be to connect STB directly to the TV through HDMI. And connect the STB & receiver by Optical cable.

Seems like its resolved. The HDMI cable i was using to connect from AVR to TV wasnt good.
So now i have connected from STB to TV and from the TV to AVR via optical out. It plays HD channels in Dolby Digital.

@snkadh - I guess both are the same. Recording needs to be activated.

One OT query. I want to get installed a Videocon D2H for my viewing, moving away from Manthan due to extremely poor service & even worse customer support.

I live in an apartment, hence we have a concealed wiring for cable TV connection. I do not like cluttering wires , hence was using the default Manthan service. Due to extremely poor service, I want to shift to DTH. What I want to know is that if the new DTH service provider can use the concealed wires running from the roof to my house(which is currently used by the manthan service)?

You can if it is coaxial cable.

It's indeed a coaxial cable. I called up Videocon guys. They told me that since the connection is split for living and bed room, there may be a loss in gain.
I think I will ask a other videocon D2H outlets too. Thanks for the confidence boost.:)

HI all,

I m thinking to switch from TS to D2H. And i want to know about DVR or HD box

Does HD box have recording by plugging a USB or something(HD Digital Set Top Box with Unlimited Recording.) or do we need to get DVR only.

Digital Set Top Boxes - DTH HD Set Top Box - HD TV India - DTH Dish - Videocon D2H.

Please explain.

There are two types of HD DVR boxes on Videocon.

This one, Digital Set Top Boxes - DTH HD Set Top Box with USB Recording - Videocon D2H requires you to plugin a USB drive and subscribe to the recording feature.

This one on the other hand, Digital Set Top Boxes - DTH HD Set Top Box - HD Digital Recorder - Videocon D2H has a built-in HDD for recording.

There are two types of HD DVR boxes on Videocon.

This one, Digital Set Top Boxes - DTH HD Set Top Box with USB Recording - Videocon D2H requires you to plugin a USB drive and subscribe to the recording feature.

This one on the other hand, Digital Set Top Boxes - DTH HD Set Top Box - HD Digital Recorder - Videocon D2H has a built-in HDD for recording.
HI Smithe,

Thanks for your reply.. If am opting for the first one with USB plugin. How much i need to pay extra for that recording feature ? Can we do playback using that HD box itself ?

The recording feature activation charge was Rs.200/- for an year when I took the connection. The box can play only recorded contents. It will format the drive so be careful not to use drives with valuable data.

The recording feature activation charge was Rs.200/- for an year when I took the connection. The box can play only recorded contents. It will format the drive so be careful not to use drives with valuable data.

Planning to get the Videocon D2h HD with unlimited recording or plain HD STB. The cost is Rs. 2K for the STB with one month HD subscription. Just wanted to know about the service reputation of videocon. Other option is Airtel. Which one would you guys recommend? Not planning HD packs right now as my LCD is just 32 inches; hence will be subscribing to SD packs.

d2h has some offer running on ebay, you can use coupon and get additional discount if you buy from there. Have not used Airtel, watching hd content only on D2h and pretty happy with the same, would not be able to comment on SD stuff.

Anyone having problems with accessing HD channels star movies, movies now, nat geo and discovery? These channels suddenly disappeared and the names are strike out in the channel lists in red line. A few SD channels
also have this problem.

Anyone having problems with accessing HD channels star movies, movies now, nat geo and discovery? These channels suddenly disappeared and the names are strike out in the channel lists in red line. A few SD channels
also have this problem.

No problem here. Could be due to the channel number changes that Videocon recently did. There were some instructions displayed on STB boot to be followed if one had problems due to the change, but they are no longer displayed for my STB. Maybe a call to CC will help.

Okay, here is my first impression after using D2H HD for 2 weeks.

Pros :
1. Picture-Quality : Very good picture quality. HD channels look stunning. SDs are OK. Got the PQ reviewed buy a longtime TSHD friend (that's you krish199). No major differences as per him, and my eyes too. I am talking about PQ on a 51inch TV. There were some comments on D2H being good only upto 40inches - no such worries. Some channels look stunning.
2. Cost. first month is anyway free for Platinum HD. Other packs are definitely cheaper than TS.
3. Service : installation was done on the 2nd day after booking. Remote replacement was also done in a day.

Cons :
1. Hardware : really crap remote control. Buttons are hard, and the whole remote gives you a toy-ish feeling. was replaced withing 10 days. As someone said earlier, you would get used to this. My previous Hathway SD box remote was also a total crap.
2. Service : The engineers are not confidence-inspiring. They have the local guy look and working - and do not seem professional.

Others have complained about the lag time during channel change. I measured multiple times - channels change in 3-4 seconds. Not more than that. Mine is a white 555-B HD STB. The STB gets heated pretty quickly.

I can't comment on sound quality, as I only have the TV speakers to listen to.

Overall, satisfactory, if not great. But if you bring in the cost factor, you might feel happier.

this is regarding Videocon d2h HD USB recording model no. 2233 similar to model.

Can anybody please help me understand below things.

1. HDD detection capacity ? 500 GB or 1 TB or both?
2. any particular brand and any particular configuration require for HDD?
3. if I attached HDD with 2233 model for 24 X 7 then what is maximum HDD temperature will be go?. as HDD can able handle temperature up to 55 degree.

Hii Guys,

Can anyone please tell me how about videocon d2h?

some guys told me to buy airtel but videocon is cheap then all others provider.

Some guys who already used videocon d2h they says in rain season while raining it's working stop.

so is there any guy who using more than one year and have idea about it?

let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

All the replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

this is regarding Videocon d2h HD USB recording model no. 2233 similar to model.

Can anybody please help me understand below things.

1. HDD detection capacity ? 500 GB or 1 TB or both?
2. any particular brand and any particular configuration require for HDD?
3. if I attached HDD with 2233 model for 24 X 7 then what is maximum HDD temperature will be go?. as HDD can able handle temperature up to 55 degree.

1. I think it accepts till 2 TB HDD.
2. It will work with any brand of HDD. Once you connect the HDD the STB will format by erasing all the contents.
3. Normally most of the HDD can handle the load of 24/7 but your STB which consumes close to 200W power may not be able to. So running a STB 24/7 is not suggested.

Hii Guys,

Can anyone please tell me how about videocon d2h?

some guys told me to buy airtel but videocon is cheap then all others provider.

Some guys who already used videocon d2h they says in rain season while raining it's working stop.

so is there any guy who using more than one year and have idea about it?

let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

All the replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

I have posted my views in the first post. The remote is not responsive sometimes, channel change may take upto 5 seconds, and yes rain affects the signal reception badly. But still I'm happy with it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back