Vinly LP availability : Kolkata

The Wall

Hi All,

I am a pretty new vinly enthusiast. Can the forum members guide me on the availability of vinly (both new and old ) in Kolkata.

it depends what kind of music you are looking for. I don't think a single person here can get you all the details of availability of Indian/western classical, bollywood,philharmonic,trance/ambience,jazz,rock,metal.......

whats your taste? I am in bollywood (hindi film OST), hopefully I will be able to help you in this category, there are a few members here with fantastic knowledge about other genres

My general suggestion:
1.Slowly learn to judge quality of an used record just seeing under sunlight.
2.Look around, discuss, search, read: it takes time to evaluate price of a record, its easy to get duped if purchased in haste and over enthusiasm. I have learned this hard way.
3.Observe different records: see the density,distribution of grooves, try to distinguish between a mono and a multi track stereo record, by looking at it its not difficult to predict the fidelity its going to give you.
4.Wait for the good condition records, don't buy an average condition record with the hope that record cleaners will do the job.
5.Majority of indian used records were played with ceramic cartridges, stay away from scratchy records
6.Prepare a plan (homework) what you are going to buy and when

Just remember majority of records are still available- all that is needed is patience and sustained efforts. Don't leave a fabulous record even of you have a copy, records have extraordinary resale value.

go ahead, make the best of this wonderful media

Oh yes start visiting Wellington square and have a friendly relation with those guys - records are no more pressed, they need to be found out from wherever they are lying

Hi AKD,

Thanks indeed for the advice,you surely know your subject well. I would be very keen on Bollywood music, though my primary preference lies in folk rock , Joan Beaz, Simon & Garfunkle ....

if you like bollywood, couple of observations I have made

if one wants still can manage sealed copy of an LP at throwaway prices and these are delightful records
1.There were film soundtracks which were not properly marketed and they boomed on the market and thousands of records became dead stock,
Ex. SADMA, AGAR TUM NA HOTE (CBS)

2.There were OSTs the music company distributed hundreds of "demonstration copy, not for sale" and they are still seen with old record wallahs
Ex. SHAAN, NAMAK HALAL, SHARABI

3. There are OSTs which have a significant share of market abroad and these records were and still are so popular (both music and SQ) that one has to contain himself with a used copy, it took me a decade to lay hand on a brand new copy at a premium
Ex. SANAM TERI KASAM, DISCO DANCER, THE BURNING TRAIN, SHALIMAAR

4. Many older OSTs (60"s,70"s) were first released in heavier ODEON or ANGEL label which are much sought after, HMV released them again on public demand in the 80's without proper cover artwork in a lighter pressing, these are more often than not are cheap and deserved to be bought if one is not particular about pressing
Ex. PADOSAN, JEWEL THIEF etc.

5. There are LPs whose cover artwork is so delightful once you buy them you will tend care them as a baby
Ex. SHALIMAAR (MIL), AZAAD (MIL), KINARA (HMV), THODISI BEWAFAI (HMV)

guys add your observations on western records, I am terribly below par on this front all I know is VANGELIS is a delight to listen to in vinyls

Last edited:
Hi akd,

Ur posts abt old records were very helpful. I hve been buying old ones frm Jamal, Ali etc of Wellington Sq fr last ten years or so. But due to nature of my job can visit them only twice or thrice a year.

U r very right abt Sadma. Last time I got a sealed copy fr 100 rs, execellent sound. Will look for ATNH next time. Can u give some more name of these kind. Is the sq of "Burning train" Title track on Ep same as the LP?

Saw used "Izazzat" lp in decent condition, what d u think a fare price shd be?(If not already sold till my next visit)

Thnx

Last edited:
a 7" EP is different from a LP in two different way

1. They were released to promote the film OST, so many a times companies made special judgment about which song will push the OST best, and in doing so they hardly compromised with the SQ

2. 45 rpm means faster speed, less song and hopefully better quality If one sees it from the point of analog compression. 33&1/3 - more songs more compression and 45 - less song less compression. But with it comes more mechanical friction which can spoil the party if the disc develops groove damages. 7" 45 rpm records are seldom of bad SQ,
few ex. PARICHAY, KHUSBOO, MANZIL, ANAMIKA (its 12" is electronically processed but the 7" is a delight)

But personally I would pick 12" 45 rpm as they produce stunning SQ. One can hardly find 12" 45 discs other than HMV. One ex. immediately comes to my mind - MASOOM

THE BURNING TRAIN title track 7" EP sounds excellent, but my personal opinion is LP is same in quality, that EP is good for collection.

IJAZAAT has 4 soulful songs, the LP is slowly becoming extinct, a hardly played copy will surely fetch anything in the range 1500/- - 2000/-

Ghar, Tumsa Nahin Dekha, Paying Guest, Don, Hum Dono are all 45 RPM 12" lps

Hi akd

Parichay, Kushboo, Manzil would only be available as 45 rpm 7", right?

I have the Swami/Gharonda combo which is 33 1/3 rpm. Dooriyaan is also 12"45.

Looks like with the advance of technology quality has gone down over the year. I have some good collection of early pressings of bengali basic songs(my father's collection). They r really good material wise(most of them 180g) & sound wise. Same recordings released again on vinyl later or on cd don't sound anything near the original. Though the originals were all played with ceramic cartridges for good amount of time, they still play excellent with my MM.

Even if u get these early ones frm 2nd hand shops u can be rest assured most of them r in listenable condition, if not damaged by some deep scratch.

So looking for rather scratch free early pressings at throw away prices are almost always a good bargain. Specially if u r interested in bengali songs. There is a H-U-G-E collection available on the streets of Calcutta.

"With 45 rpm comes more friction" - this is the understanding of many many users thats why I always refer to this. But actually its not correct, its like this

the needle along with the tone arm and the record surface both have linear velocity. If we assume the needle has a point contact (which is not at the scales of the grooves) with the record surface its a case of kinematic (not static) friction where friction force (friction coefficient) does not change with speed. Friction coefficient has a ramp function behavior, and the surface attains a saturated value quickly. The only factor that can change the friction force is the normal reaction coming from the record grooves which in fact is marginal given that the tone arm is mounted on a bearing and it can move upwards/downwards. So neither friction coeff nor the normal reaction change so friction force is unlikely to change. Then why the possibility of wear? its because of the higher energy dissipation (linear velocity x friction force) - as speed (33 to 45) increases so is linear velocity and thus increase in relative velocity between the needle and the record surface manifests in the voltage pick up.

BTW so many examples of 12" 45 rpm given, but have you noticed all of them are HMV pressing, so any example of 12" 45 rpm from "CBS" or "MIL" or "INRECO" or "Super Hits" or "VENUS" or "TIPS" or "WESTON" or "T-series" or "Oriental"?

Arnab

Hi Arnab,

Bengali film "Troyee" (music by RDB) was a Megaphone release on 12" 45 rpm record. At this moment I can't remember any other name, hv to check the collection again.

I have got following 12" 45 rpm records.

45NLP10011 Sumangali Tamil
45NLP10008 Neethipathi Tamil
45NLP1043 Bot Lavin Tithe Gugulya Marathi
45NLP1090 Agreement Hindi
45NLP1035 Daada Hindi
45NLP1125 Hum Dono Hindi
45NLP1196 Masoom Hindi
45GELP2023 Main Chup Rahungi Hindi
45NLP1093 Naiyya Hindi
45NLP1017 Pati Patni Aur Who Hindi
45NLP1149 Saajan Mere Main Saajan Ki Hindi
45NLP1015 Swami Hindi
45NLP1068 Saanch Ko Aanch Nahin Hindi
45NLP1064 Sunayana Hindi
S/45NLP1163 Sannata Hindi
45NLP1135 Unees Bees Hindi
45NLP1153 Yesudas - More Hits Hindi

Regards,
Suresh

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back