vintage denon amp poa 3000

hEY DENON VINTAGE POWER AMPS ARE MIND BLOWING AS I HAVE ONE
IT IS BEAUTIFUL CLEAR SOUND AND THIS DENON HAS A BIG SEPERATE CORROIDER OR PARTS(DONT KNOW EXACT NAME) FOR EACH CHANNEL WORTH PAYING 10 TO 15K AS FAR AS I KNOW HOW MUCH THE PRICE YO WAS QUOTED

50k was quoted - but I think it is quite high. My feeling is that it should not be more than 25k. Also this was manufactured around 1979-83 so must be quite old. Maybe the caps are worn out. No option of seeing and listening to before buying.
Is there any other great deal available in budget of 25k for a power amp (150+ wpc)?
Don't know about 110v will find out.

Last edited:
the denon pma integrated series (i have the pma 2000ivr) are trickle down technologies of the poa series.considering that, they should be big, heavy,smooth sound and made in japan.
cheers
himadri

Denons (at least their amps & CDPs) are still made in Japan, I believe, Himadri. Isn't it? Or am I wrong?

This POA-3000 is a push-pull class A (180wpc at 8). Its power supply section with huge cap-bank seems almost mouth-watering. Its power bandwidth is 5Hz - 100kHz! Going by its age and recent trends of sale on the net, it should not perhaps cost more than 15k though. However, I'd tend to believe if you can get the service manual and get an amp-expert, it can be worked on and brought completely back to life.

This amp was built when Denon used to take the 2-channel audio very very seriously and they built quite a name for themselves in the 80's. Their amp and CDPs were very very highly regarded.

I myself bought a mid-level Denon CDP (DCD-920) in 1989. It's still working, albeit at a much reduced level of performance (because I have not had it serviced except for some cleaning recently).

This amp is a very rare piece these days. Anant, I wonder where you have sourced it from. Anyway, if you buy it, there will be no need for a room-heater in the Delhi winter. However, be careful to keep your kid off it, otherwise he will get a burn.

Regards

Looks beautiful, go for it anant if in good condition and available under 25k. Going by what Asit da has to say about it, it will be a good buy.

No option of seeing and listening to before buying.

Anant,I would not risk buying the amp without checking it out first,no matter how atractive the price.

Is there any other great deal available in budget of 25k for a power amp (150+ wpc)?

Look at the Emotiva amps.I have heard one recently and it sounds very good.

Regards
Rajiv

alas, the price being asked is 50k and it is too much for me to bet on blind purchase :( God, give me courage!
Condition is being said to be excellent.

alas, the price being asked is 50k and it is too much for me to bet on blind purchase :( God, give me courage!
Condition is being said to be excellent.

Gamble @ 50k without having a look is a big risk! Bit like russian roulette, so do think over it again & again.

Where is the amp? Guessing its not in new delhi. Maybe a fellow member can look it over on your behalf, once you reveal its location, or are you afraid it might get poached?

Best Of Luck

Regards

50 K is too high IMHO. Recently a big technics Pre Power was available for 40 K which I find high ( BTW I do not have that kind of budget!)

no - a dealer here says he can arrange through the infamous Madras route :)
I think I should let it pass. Thanks for your inputs guys.

Denons (at least their amps & CDPs) are still made in Japan, I believe, Himadri. Isn't it? Or am I wrong?

This POA-3000 is a push-pull class A (180wpc at 8). Its power supply section with huge cap-bank seems almost mouth-watering. Its power bandwidth is 5Hz - 100kHz! Going by its age and recent trends of sale on the net, it should not perhaps cost more than 15k though. However, I'd tend to believe if you can get the service manual and get an amp-expert, it can be worked on and brought completely back to life.

This amp was built when Denon used to take the 2-channel audio very very seriously and they built quite a name for themselves in the 80's. Their amp and CDPs were very very highly regarded.

I myself bought a mid-level Denon CDP (DCD-920) in 1989. It's still working, albeit at a much reduced level of performance (because I have not had it serviced except for some cleaning recently).

This amp is a very rare piece these days. Anant, I wonder where you have sourced it from. Anyway, if you buy it, there will be no need for a room-heater in the Delhi winter. However, be careful to keep your kid off it, otherwise he will get a burn.

Regards
Sorry asit,
I missed your post.sure, all denon stereo kits are made are japan unlike marantz (where only the higher end are).
right decision anm, its not worth more than 20k even though it looks a real class act.
cheers himadri

Hi Anm,

I would not recommend risking it, however sweet the deal may be. I am sure
the madras guy is making a killing in this deal, if you go through with it.

What about the Emotiva XPA1 or the XPA2?

If you are in for stereo listening you should check it out.

New amps, Torriodal transformers both and it should work out cheaper and better than the amp you want to buy, I am talking including transportation to your home.

There are plenty of Emotiva owners here in this forum who can give you their valued opinion on performance.

http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

hope this is helpful.

Vinod

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back