Vintage Luxman L80-V Integrated SS Amp - Worth it?

Guys, I'm a noob on that account. Could you guys recommend any specific mods?

Captain, I'd suggest only one mod - replace the main electrolytics if it hasn't already been done. They would have dried up a bit after 32 years. You can use Panasonics or those blue Nippon-Chemicons from Suraj Radio. If you're willing to pay for shipping, Parts Connexion in Canada has some Nichicon Muse KG (Gold Tune) at reasonable prices.

If you're happy with the rest of the sonics, there's no point in experimenting - it may well become much worse after modding.

My Luxman Amp had gone kaput sometime back. I saw that two of the fuses were blown.

I gave it to an expert for repair. Apparently, the tone control transistors had blown. He had replaced them and also replaced few of the capacitors in the tone control circuit with new Keltron capacitors.

The Amp is playing fine now but I find that the old magic is completely missing. It is sounding like any other ordinary amp now. I discussed the issue with him; he says he has replaced with good quality caps of low tolerances. Asked me to get any caps of my choice.

Which are better, Nichicon, Vishay, Blackgate or any other?

Hoping for an advice from tech-gurus.

replace the main electrolytics if it hasn't already been done. They would have dried up a bit after 32 years. You can use Panasonics or those blue Nippon-Chemicons from Suraj Radio. If you're willing to pay for shipping, Parts Connexion in Canada has some Nichicon Muse KG (Gold Tune) at reasonable prices.

If you're happy with the rest of the sonics, there's no point in experimenting - it may well become much worse after modding.

And maybe just 1 more - put in sockets for the op-amps and roll them. I'd already sent you PM's on alternate op-amps some time ago.

Thanks guys for the advice. Apparently the main electrolytics are fine I guess.

BTW, what is this Op-amp thingy? Any specific brands / values?

the tone control transistors had blown. He had replaced them and also replaced few of the capacitors in the tone control circuit
Captain, I am not sure but, did you get the same original transistors or equivalent ? You should have checked the sound quality at repaired stage only, than moved on to change remaining caps. Also my personal opinion is to check the old caps with capacitance meter and if ok no need to replace them.
regds.

Captain,
These are not uncommon problems for a piece of electronics that is that old. I am not an expert on brands and grades of capacitors. There are plenty of experts here who would guide you to the proper replacements. I like to point out something else. What I am going to tell you is also a debatable issue. However, the following are my observations and interpretations of my own experience of handling a number of 20+ year old electronic equipments (amps, CDPs, Cassette decks etc). No debates please.

The issue is regarding burn-in of electronic equipments. Some people do not believe in it and do not observe it. There have been a few animated debates on this in our forum before. What I think I have observed is that all audio components burn in, some do it in about 10 to 30 hours, and some take an excruciatingly long time. I also think that cabling inside equipments (including the solder) and components like capacitors are the main contributors for this. In my view, you cannot expect an optimal performance right after you put new caps in your equipment, you have to give it some time before they burn in. I do not think this is "vodoo". Just type "capacitor burn in" in your google search and you will find thousands of links (mostly from DIY people) discussing caps burn-in.

I have changed caps in my HK6300 amp, Denon DCD 920 CDP and the Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck (each is 20+ year old). Each time initially the sound was almost unbearable, and I waited for the sonics to improve and ultimately it did. I have observed the same thing whenever new solder was applied for a connection (for example, for the RCA connector in an IC).

I'd like to tell you one other thing. Better or more expensive components do not necessarily mean better sonics. One should always use quality components of proper specs, but not necessarily the most expensive ones. This is another aspect I have personally witnessed. The DIY community of our forum will be able to tell you more about it.

Regards

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the replies guys. Yes, even I'm hoping that the sound would improve after some burn-in. I had put it on the heavy duty work of driving my kids' TV's bookshelf speakers. It runs for at least 5 hours daily and they are not unduly concerned about the SQ, unlike me.:D

So it should start sounding good in a week's time.

@hitensitapara, I could'nt check at the time of repair itself as they do not have good quality speakers and good source. It is not feasible for me to take my speakers, cables and the CDP to check at the workshop itself. No parking within 200 metres from the shop. Imagine my plight if I have to lug all the above equipment from car park to workshop.

so the magic is in your room, not in the amp ;)

:lol:Anant, actually in one of my older posts, I've mentioned that I had put the amp on heavy duty work of improving the SQ of my kids' TV. That is atleast 5 hours of grueling work every day. After few days, I've noticed serious improvement in the midrange quality and better and tighter base. I knew, the components have had their quota of burn in so put it back to the listening room.

Too bad, I forgot to update this thread. My tryst this lovely sounding amp proved to be a short one. Fed up with repeated repairs by my trusted mechanic Sayeed, I made the biggest mistake of handing it over to a member at Hyderabad who said he'll look up and buy it if he is able to repair it. I've not heard from him after that. After I fixed my Tannoys in Rectangular GRF boxes, I was wondering how they would sound with the Luxman and called this member. He gave a sob story that the amp was destroyed during some road widening that is said to have happened, which he never bothered to intimate, if at all it happened. Too bad, I lost this lovely amp to an unscrupulous person.

sorry to hear that. Vintage amp are really good. They are people in chennai who could repair it

Too bad, I forgot to update this thread. My tryst this lovely sounding amp proved to be a short one. Fed up with repeated repairs by my trusted mechanic Sayeed, I made the biggest mistake of handing it over to a member at Hyderabad who said he'll look up and buy it if he is able to repair it. I've not heard from him after that. After I fixed my Tannoys in Rectangular GRF boxes, I was wondering how they would sound with the Luxman and called this member. He gave a sob story that the amp was destroyed during some road widening that is said to have happened, which he never bothered to intimate, if at all it happened. Too bad, I lost this lovely amp to an unscrupulous person.

Whhhaaaat ??? Road widening ??? did he use the amp as a roller for the pavement ??

If theft was the intention atleast a better sob story should have been made ...

sorry to hear that. Vintage amp are really good. They are people in chennai who could repair it
Sayeed is one of the best.
Saw a vintage amp, is it any good?
No idea buddy. May be some knowledgeable member like Rajiv could chip in.
https://www.olx.in/item/luxman-integrated-stereo-amplifier-lv-111-ID1dqLvz.html#0a15c96bec

Whhhaaaat ??? Road widening ??? did he use the amp as a roller for the pavement ??

If theft was the intention atleast a better sob story should have been made ...

Agree with Lifewater. A real cock and bull story if I ever heard one!

LOL. That too he involved a third party; that it got damaged at the mechanic's shop which is said to have been knocked off.

Sad part is, he is from a well to do family. My point to members is, be careful with strangers, so what if they are forum members.

when I was in college I used to have some friend who would borrow new cassettes from me and then coolly tell me - "sorry I lost your cassette", "sorry it was in my bag which was stolen", "sorry the tape got chewed up in my Walkman" (and would give me a whole bunch of tape). Thinking back, I was definitely conned. One clever jack used to borrow my cassettes and then say, he lost it and would buy me another to replace the one he lost, but brought me new cassettes which be bought but did not actually like. He would say, "I tried for your title but could not fine it, so I got one which I think you'll like". Good way to dispose them (or exchange them) off :)

Sad part is, he is from a well to do family. My point to members is, be careful with strangers, so what if they are forum members.

Sorry to hear this Captain, however if it is a forum member perhaps it would be better to name & shame, so that others don't get conned in the future. I have had my share of issues with FM's during transactions in the recent past but none were to the extent of what you have faced.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back