Vintage Luxman L80-V Integrated SS Amp - Worth it?

Yes, of course. He should be named to alert other FMs. I remember reading a couple of bad experiences, one involving Sid.

This is my personal view.
I had ( have......but dismantled !) the Luxman LV102 . If that is a higher model than the L80 isn't probably too big a loss. The 102 was rolled off and was audibly poorer than current day amps. By that I mean it didn't have crisp HF, deep and tight bass etc.
By itself it didn't sound too bad but certainly not what we are used to nowadays ! I paid 3k for it and thought it was a bad buy ! I expected a lot from it. However I have heard other Luxmans that were very good. L-10 and the stereo power amps from the 80's.

when I was in college I used to have some friend who would borrow new cassettes from me and then coolly tell me - "sorry I lost your cassette", "sorry it was in my bag which was stolen", "sorry the tape got chewed up in my Walkman" (and would give me a whole bunch of tape). Thinking back, I was definitely conned. One clever jack used to borrow my cassettes and then say, he lost it and would buy me another to replace the one he lost, but brought me new cassettes which be bought but did not actually like. He would say, "I tried for your title but could not fine it, so I got one which I think you'll like". Good way to dispose them (or exchange them) off :)
Yes such people are everywhere. :sad:
Pretty sad. I am sure the guy turned real greedy about the amp and didn't want to part with it.
A member from Hyderabad told me that this particular member indulges in buying and selling stuff. For all you know, he may have sold that amp for a profit.
perhaps it would be better to name & shame, so that others don't get conned in the future.
I agree with Sid
Yes, of course. He should be named to alert other FMs.
Personally, I value reputation which is far more valuable than pecuniary gain, however big it is. Hence I feel it would be harsh on my part to name the member just because of my loss.

Besides, I would be violating forum rule No. 4 which I quote here:
If any member makes any accusations about any retailer/ manufacturer/ distributor/ dealer or individual member, they must first submit a verified/certified photo identity proof of their full name and address to forums admin along with verified/certified proof of the accusation. It's easy to exaggerate the events to favour your side of the story, but ultimately this is not the truth if you cannot backup your accusations without proof. Posting any such information without relevant proof will lead to your immediate ban without any warning.

For the record; he paid me the money I bought the amp for.
This is my personal view.
I had ( have......but dismantled !) the Luxman LV102 . If that is a higher model than the L80 isn't probably too big a loss. The 102 was rolled off and was audibly poorer than current day amps. By that I mean it didn't have crisp HF, deep and tight bass etc.
By itself it didn't sound too bad but certainly not what we are used to nowadays ! I paid 3k for it and thought it was a bad buy ! I expected a lot from it. However I have heard other Luxmans that were very good. L-10 and the stereo power amps from the 80's.
Though short-lived, that amp used to sound divine. In the hindsight, I should've gone to some other technician before writing it off.

Last edited:
in his defence, the cock and bull story could have been cooked up by the tech also.
There is a guy in south chennai who has done a decent job for me so far with my car audio stuff (amps, HU etc) - recently my Logitech Z2300 went up in smoke, and i gave it to him. Its fairly simple - 4x TDA7295 amps with a preamp and a toroidal transformer.
He said the chips were not available (hard to believe) then said the board is damaged, and asked 2k for an entire replacement board. then he kept on giving stories about him moving his shop, and was never there when i went to his shop, kept cutting calls, would say he is at his native place etc, and then finally after sitting on his head for months, he let me pick it up without testing it.
After getting it back, i found out that he had just removed the burnt tda7295 for one channel, shorted both the outputs to the working channel to make both sattelites work, and given it back.
At least i am glad i got it back.

in his defence, the cock and bull story could have been cooked up by the tech also.
I don't think so. I could easily sense that he was lying. I was livid and went to the extent of saying that I'll lodge a police complaint against the mechanic but he was overtly defending that person. He kept saying "Leave it sir, he is a poor mechanic. For you this is a small thing." I understood the futility of persuing it any further.

I understand your position captain. Without going too OT another disturbing trend I have faced in the recent past while selling components is the issue with shipping. Despite clear statements that shipping risk is the buyers responsibility and having packed the products in original shipping boxes, I have run into issues twice with buyers who expect me to take responsibility of the shippers issues, despite inviting the buyer to pick the product at my home after testing it. In future I have decided to video document both the product operation and physical appearance and send it to buyer prior to shipping to absolve myself. My suggestion to buyers, if you want the product 100% safe, pick it up in person, as there is no shipping method that is 100% guaranteed - especially if the item is a high value one.
Cheers,
Sid

A contrarian view here - it could all very well have been true. Nothing new about small [illegal?] roadside shops being knocked down without notice for road widening work etc. and their goods being damaged/confiscated.

I have had my share of seemingly wild stories told to me by friends/acquaintances as excuses not to return stuff. At that time, I believed what I wanted to believe, that they were unscrupulous and hence lying. Many times, much later after the incidents, I have found those "wild stories" to be true. Of course, many were proved false too but I'm just saying that everything is not as it seems to be or what we want it to be.

@keith, at that point of time, I was so adamant that I demanded even the mangled remains of the amp. He said that only the faceplate is left out. He couldn't produce even that as evidence.

Moreover, unlike robots, we humans have a sensory perception that can clearly sense what's going on. Hope you agree with me. :)

@keith, at that point of time, I was so adamant that I demanded even the mangled remains of the amp. He said that only the faceplate is left out. He couldn't produce even that as evidence.

Moreover, unlike robots, we humans have a sensory perception that can clearly sense what's going on. Hope you agree with me. :)

That almost nails the culprit unequivocally.
But its one of the most weirdest excuses I've heard.

Now, I have a Onkyo Integra 8470 amp which doesn't have a sound output ; the Hyderabad technicians are saying that the sound transformer is defective and needs a replacement, which they're unable to find.
Can anyone guide me to a better technician who'd be able to rectify the issue? Local would be preferred, but I'm not averse to sending it to other metro areas. I love the signature and output of this amp so just don't want to completely give up on it.

It's a solid state amp - the only transformer would be the power transformer. Or am I missing something here ?
Even I thought the same, no its not the power transformer. It is getting on without issues, no sound..
Its slightly small transformer in front of it which is called as "sound transformer" both of the experienced technicians told me the same thing. I will post the pictures once I get it back.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Even I thought the same, no its not the power transformer. It is getting on without issues, no sound..
Its slightly small transformer in front of it which is called as "sound transformer" both of the experienced technicians told me the same thing. I will post the pictures once I get it back.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

looking at the service manual, i see something like a transformer at the CD input- if this is faulty, you should still be able to use the other inputs

looking at the service manual, i see something like a transformer at the CD input- if this is faulty, you should still be able to use the other inputs

This is the Transformer that is defective - sound Output Transformer at 7'O" clock Position
Pic is from Web ( I will Post detailed Pic Once I get Mine Later)

Attachments

• onkyo-integra-a-8470-.jpg
    onkyo-integra-a-8470-.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 80
from the schematic, its an inductor, and from onkyo literature, its called an in phase transformer - its still a power stage transformer
http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/Altri marchi/Onkyo - Circuitazione Real-Phase (1985).pdf
getting a replacement might be tough, perhaps rewind, but this is a custom item, so may not be everyone's cup of tea

d024bf637d92f3ea6fbcd003ab6062ed.jpg

Yes its written as Inphase Transformer NCH4181 (231125, 21dF) etc...
How to get one? Can anyone reliable experienced to give it a rewind? What else can be done?
Its pretty bad thing to give up on this amp, I like the clear sound signature a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be worth putting up a separate thread on custom transformer winding/rewinding to get the interest of diy folks who might have an idea

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back