Vintage speakers and JBL 4343 restoration

JBL speakers from Kenrick is something I have always wanted to own. Maybe someday

prem,

the website and the way the pics tell the story are amazing..

high quality stuff.. and will have a price tag..infact if one is keen on these types.. it can be viewed as an investment.

i hope i get to hear some of these too..

Ganpati bappa....Morya !!

mpw

It was actually a toss up between the new Saadhanas and Kenrick JBLs. The reason I didn't go with Kenrick is I would have had to change a lot in my system and I didn't have the energy to do that

do let me know ( PM or message ) if i can get to hear these in Mumbai approx... maybe FM shafic would know..:)

just curious to hear similar speakers with good amplification in a reasonably audio friendly room.

want to add to my listening experiences and file it away in my mind.

any idea on the pricing for a 4343 from kenrick ??.. i just ask 4343.. no special reason why.. saw them on the net and just to get an idea about the pricing and stuff..

mpw

Hi mpw

Don't think anyone in Mumbai owns a Kenrick modded speaker. The JBL 4343 modded by Kenrick would be about Rs 4 lakhs. Shipping and custom duties extra

wow.. thats something.. i guess the landed cost here for a pair of JBL 4343 would be about double that..

;-))

besides.. what kind of amplification were you looking at for the 4343 route ??

i see burmester used in some videos and some even use refurb old technics amps.. and the like..

i suppose one needs to brace for a million bucks for the total setup..

if my questions can be answered / have been answered on another thread.. please point me to the same.

is the sound signature of these beauties.. more in tune with any particular music genre ?

much appreciate..

mpw

do let me know ( PM or message ) if i can get to hear these in Mumbai approx... maybe FM shafic would know..:)

just curious to hear similar speakers with good amplification in a reasonably audio friendly room.

want to add to my listening experiences and file it away in my mind.

Hi Mahesh,
Thanks for dragging me to a "naya Daud":lol:

Kenrick audio is famous for modifying some selected vintage speakers and selling them at a premium price. Pls check with their Yamaha NS 1000A price. I previously owned the nice NS 1000A for a short time and gave it to a fellow FM at a petty price compared to them.

I always believe that 'you wish some for something with true heart, you will definitely get it'. So God willing you will get your wish.

Your visit to my home is pending. We will meet soon and listen to some music. Currently I am busy with my colony's "Ganesh Utsav" programs, also some serious carpentry works going on side by side ( LP rack, Table for my G401, Trolleys for Tannoys, all in teak wood). Some pics.

regds,
shafic

Last edited:
shafic,

i dont wish for anything now. I am content with my rig.. only thing.. i try to make as much time for music as possible.

as i mentioned i stumbled onto that site and my first impressions were wow !!

Those large drivers would make anyone drool !! I dont see how anyone cannot be affected by it. :D

One POV can be that - the restorers always do the small things and take big money !! and its all hype.... but the pics and customer experiences got me wanting to hear something like this.

I like the audio rack you are making and i too have a very similar looking rack in mind. I do have space behind my speakers for an LP rack too.

But sticking to the topic... i will contact you later when you are done with all the work and come over.

btw, should you wish to listen to my setup.. i invite you as well to my home for some music and coffee.

:)

regards
mpw

I am negotiating for a JBL L 300 for a close friend of mine. The seller is quoting based on some ebay prices I understand these L 300 speakers are in excellent condition. My friend wants to pair it his big Macs.

Hi mpw

I have heard the older large JBLs only a couple of times. I liked what i heard. I do not know why Kenrick charges so much for their mods. They charge 5-6 times more. But i believe they are very very good at what they do.

I was looking at the JBL 4435 or the 4430. These are like the Altec 19. Both these Altec and JBL are unique in the sense that they have a huge vertical and horizontal dispersion pattern. This mimics a live soundstage at the expense of a sharp focus. I dont know if thats good or bad because i have never heard them. But i am intrigued enough to try them sometime. In the current lot of speakers, to the best of my knowledge, only Soundlab electrostatics and Audio Kinesis speakers have such a radiating pattern.

Has anyone heard the JBL L 300. I read somewhere that they were the best speakers made for domestic use. The mint ones are being quoted US Dollar 7000 plus.

hey mpw,

i have been following the kenrick youtube page for almost a year now....
love all the stuff they put there...

if i am not mistaken there is video which has shown his house and how he has made it child proof in a sweet way...

amazing speakers they restore / modify..... very expensive...

I am negotiating for a JBL L 300 for a close friend of mine. The seller is quoting based on some ebay prices I understand these L 300 speakers are in excellent condition. My friend wants to pair it his big Macs.

Sir, check this link of Mumbai guy kiran, kept some JBL(model not clear)/Sansui Vintage speakers.

kiran0 ads on OLX - kiran0's free classifieds

Sorry, i don't know anything about this seller, FMs might be knowing more about this since he has kept lot of vintage stuffs on sale.

Last edited:
same here..became their YT subscriber after watching their first video almost two years ago iirc

hey mpw,

i have been following the kenrick youtube page for almost a year now....
love all the stuff they put there...

if i am not mistaken there is video which has shown his house and how he has made it child proof in a sweet way...

amazing speakers they restore / modify..... very expensive...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back