Vintage Speakers with modern integrated amps?

peace_sells

Hi guys.

Just wondering. Say i want to use a good set of AR vintage speakers with a Marantz PM6004 integrated amp. Would you say that's sensible? I mean is there any such thing that vintage speakers should be only used with vintage amps (and vice versa)?

Hi guys.

Just wondering. Say i want to use a good set of AR vintage speakers with a Marantz PM6004 integrated amp. Would you say that's sensible? I mean is there any such thing that vintage speakers should be only used with vintage amps (and vice versa)?

Its all about the synergy of the combination of speaker and amplifier. Give it a listen and if that floats your boat, enjoy music forgetting what speakers you are listening to and what amp is driving that.... Just Enjoy Music ....

Dr. Sunil

Hi guys.

No vintage does not make any difference. The basic Ohms law is applicable eternally:)

Just ensure that the Power rating of your Amp is sufficient to drive the speakers. The 45 W of PM6004 should suffice for most home use speakers.

which model AR speakers are you planning to pair with the marantz

I havent yet bought a speaker..but i was talking about an AR-2ax..

also i checked up on these speakers : Boston Acoustics A 250, Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.1..would these 2 be good with a PM5004?

IMO, vintage speakers pair very well with modern amps. In the recent past, I have paired a vintage pair of B&W DM3000 floorstanders with NADs from various eras, like the 3020A, C320 and 216thx and they played extremely well with all these amps. The speakers are currently being driven by a contemporary Denon amp and sounded quite good to my ears. A lot of this however would relate to the genre of music listened to, the acoustic profile of your room and of course, your listening style (high volume, average or low volume, with tone defeat or with tonal boost, etc)

As far as AR2Ax goes 45 wpc is not sufficient . they are power hungry speakers get hold of an good amp atleast 100wpc 8 ohms as ar2ax are 8 ohms .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back