vinyl storage / shelving racks

M

mpw

hi,

many of us have a decent or more than decent vinyl collection.

thought we could put up pics of our vinyl storage systems / racks etc.. here..

i have about 120 vinyls now and am looking for a good rack.

Therefore i need to look at a few and get some ideas..:)

besides i thought it will be nice to see fellow FM's vinyl storage plans on a single thread.

do contribute..

thanks
mpw

Are polyethylene or Polypropylene inner and outer sleeves for vinyl records available locally ? If so where ?
Thanks.

@prem and @mpw - last time when I checked it housefull vashi ( the store is closed now) - it was available in Parrot green and Shocking "Barbie" pink ! Now our lil princess definatly for the choice ;)) ,iI was worried that my daughter will not allow me to use iy!

This Cube available for Rs 700
SORRENTO CUBE GREEN
Can use mutiple
Or can some guys come together and fabricate??

Hemanth, That is a superbly priced rack. The only problem with it is its only 11.6 inches deep, with the cover the LPs are 12.2 inches, it will leave about half an inch jutting out of the rack. At Rs700 it is a steal! You simply cannot make it at that price.

11.6 inches depth seems to be the standard in all online furniture stores, I tried to find one, finally gave up and made one for myself last month.

This is my rack, it is 65 inches wide in total and 32 inches tall. Each shelf is 13 inches tall and 14 inches deep, leaving a good one inch around the records, to avoid accidental knocking. There is an extra one in depth because, I might add doors to the shelf at a later stage.

Need to clean my room, will do that and post pictures in situ soon, to give a better idea.

thanks guys.

simon wires - u seem to have lotsa vinyl.. do put up pics of where you store them.. gives an idea of the decor as well.

rajagopal - look forward to your pics. how much did it cost you to make that shelf ? PM me if you like.

hemant - thanks

fantastic - try nova audio mahim mumbai - they have a website

see the pic here.. i am looking for a wall fixable rack to be placed above my spiral CD racks / guitar.

have seen manav's arrangement on his altec thread.

i was reading that the Ikea Elicit was one nice rack but they discontinued it and started a new range called the kallax which is not so vinyl friendly.

regards
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am looking for a storage rack for LPs preferably configurable like cubes that is easy to move and configure.

@Hemant - looks really well finished.

@ Raj - what material did you use for this shelf? MDF or ply?
Asking as LPs are surprisingly heavy and can test the best of racks!

I will most probably do a DIY. I have 2 queries:
1. What material I should use?
2. What are my finishing options? I want a smooth and clean finish (something like shown in pics provided by Hemant)

This is the one I use:

Buy Gilbert Book Case Online at lowest prices in India at Online Housefull Store

Price seems to have gone up - I recall paying about 3 - 3.5 k for these around 3 yrs back - bought 3 of them at the time so I have plenty of storage.

Depth is 11.5" so yes a bit of the vinyl sticks out. But so far I've had no problems with the weight - I have 4 out of the 8 shelves full of vinyl and it withstands well enough.

2vdgtfp.jpg

4uue1j.jpg

A friend has these in her store here (Kochi, Kerala). I just checked with her, and they are 15.7" cubes. She can get them in teak, mahogany & cedar (somewhat less costly), if anybody's interested.

Last edited:
hydra,

see post #8 on this thread ( pic ).

are the items u put up wall mountable ?

can we get straight edges instead of rounded ones - for vinyl straight corners are preferred no ?

PM me the link to the website etc..

mpw

mpw, I just checked, and she said yes, they can be wall mounted. And yes, she can make them with straight edges.

I kinda like them the way they're arranged now, though, with the first one on the floor and the rest on top of each other, turned this way and that. I don't have the necessary width in my room, or corner space. Or I'd have bought these right after I saw them a few months back :(

PMing you the info now.

my current 4 tier cupboard is filling up and I was thinking about something on these lines. Any comments (please click the specifications tab to view the dimensions)

Home Furniture | Modern Office Furniture | Lab & Marine Solutions - Godrej Interio

I am not very comfy at keeping my records in open storage due to dust accumulation. I was also considering something like this:

Home Furniture | Modern Office Furniture | Lab & Marine Solutions - Godrej Interio

They look neat Reuben. How are they priced? We all at some point we run out of storage eventually. Even I am running out of space now. My records are all over the place now in boxes and stuff. My primary records rack is full. I also prefer not to have a storage rack which is open only because of the dust. Even with the closed rack, there is dust that I have to clean every 2 weeks :sad:.

my current 4 tier cupboard is filling up and I was thinking about something on these lines. Any comments (please click the specifications tab to view the dimensions)

I am not very comfy at keeping my records in open storage due to dust accumulation. I was also considering something like this:

Reuben,
On the weekend I checked the 2nd type of rack you have mentioned.

It is primarily a book rack and is very sturdy indeed and can last a lifetime for sure! I saw some locally made as well and they are quite robust. Mostly used in libraries.
Quite good actually but heavy to move around!

But they dont have partitions in the middle. It is a complete row. Partitions in between help distribute the load of fewer LPs. with a single row if one LP topples then the entire bunch just falls like a domino effect which can cause warping of LPs. If some partition could be kept in between then this is quite good solution for long term.

I although I personally feels LPs are not to be hidden behind anything and should be completely visible as they too add to aesthetics of the room :p Just its practicality that rules the world these days :)

Reuben,

But they dont have partitions in the middle. It is a complete row. Partitions in between help distribute the load of fewer LPs. )

Reuben,

Added to that, the partition helps to catalog/categorize them based on our music tastes.

The other model, is quite tall and too big, and the looks aren't up the mark to adore the hall room

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back