VLC 2.0 with equalizer on 2 pass mode

Sound1 - there is only one way to test.
Create two audio files - one on 44.1kHz sampling rate, and another at 48 kHz sampling rate.
You would have to use digital audio workstation program like Adobe Audition etc (or freeware Audacity).

Load these two files on foobar. And do ABX comparison.
the 44.1kHz would either get upsampled by foobar plugin or by soundcard.
the 48kHz will not require any sample rate changing.

If you can detect the difference significantly, then the next test would about about foobar's plugin vs soundcard's native upsampling.

Regarding the URL you provided, can you identify jitter?
What are the perceivable audible effects of jitter?

Jitter is not audible, sighted and blind tests.
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ast/26/1/50/_pdf

You do know that many things in audiophile world happens because of placebo and politeness (not wanting to offend /argue with the person who could "hear the difference") ?
And the manufacturers also have vested interests ...

Last edited:
I hate to bump this thread two years after its creation. But I am doing so, after observing a surprising improvement in sound quality during an early morning (3:30 a.m.) listening session with the 2-pass switch of the VLC Media Player engaged, on my Ubuntu Linux desktop connected with a pair of M-Audio AV40 speakers, and scratching my head as to why it is happening. I incidentally found this thread while searching online for the reasons.

I confirm the observation of this thread creator. I found several others online reporting the same.

Interesting.

To my ears, there is a difference on mp3 but not on FLAC.

I tried to figure out how to stream from VLC with these settings but could not get streaming to work, so this was with earbuds and may mean nothing

ciao
gr

I hate to bump this thread two years after its creation. But I am doing so, after observing a surprising improvement in sound quality during an early morning (3:30 a.m.) listening session with the 2-pass switch of the VLC Media Player engaged, on my Ubuntu Linux desktop connected with a pair of M-Audio AV40 speakers, and scratching my head as to why it is happening. I incidentally found this thread while searching online for the reasons.

I confirm the observation of this thread creator. I found several others online reporting the same.

I don't think it has anything do with VLC. Everything does sound better late night/early morning, regardless of the software used. I think mostly has to do with the power supply and lack of ambient noise. You'll most likely feel the same if you were using Foobar, or a CD Player. :)

Another bump after 4 years. Landed on this thread while searching for exact function of 2nd pass of VLC EQs

I recently came back into listening to music.

Marantz PM 5005 mated to Ahuja SRX 200 (Many will be suprised with my speaker choice but it sounds excellent. It's a speaker based on full range driver without XO and a piezo tweeter....different topic)

I am using VLC media player. I am using equalizers but not in flat position as done by OP. 60 hz pushed up by 4db, 14khz by 2db and 16 khz by 3.5db. All remaining sliders in flat position.

I can definitely tell difference when 2nd pass is on (keeping rqualization freqencies and amplitude same) . Its definitely more enjoyable. In low frequency as well as high. Cymbals sound much better and natural. Bass is more appreciable without getting boomy/overpowering. As OP says..even the back ground seems cleaner.
In fact this clearly audible difference was the reason why I started searching on this topic.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back